Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
SF
Geico customer almost 20 years. No one ever comes close to their rates. Two big claims over the years and never a rate increase.
I beg to differ. Tried them and they were just as horrible as the other big companies. Wanted close to $2500 for a single small Subaru in San Francisco. Ridiculous. In Boston, same car cost me $1400 to ensure through one of Liberty Mutual's daughter companies. LM itself was pretty awful too, in my experience. High costs and increases for no reason whatsoever.

The cheapest one I got here is Costco/Ameriprise. Was under $2K. Still very overpriced but nobody could do less.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I beg to differ. Tried them and they were just as horrible as the other big companies. Wanted close to $2500 for a single small Subaru in San Francisco. Ridiculous. In Boston, same car cost me $1400 to ensure through one of Liberty Mutual's daughter companies. LM itself was pretty awful too, in my experience. High costs and increases for no reason whatsoever.

The cheapest one I got here is Costco/Ameriprise. Was under $2K. Still very overpriced but nobody could do less.

If you're paying that much to insure a Subaru, you probably have a driving record that deserves those higher rates.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
If you're paying that much to insure a Subaru, you probably have a driving record that deserves those higher rates.

Massachusetts, has very strange laws on insurance. The rates for the liability portion are determined by the state. At one time, Geico wouldn't insure in Mass. I was living in Rhode Island at the time.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...

Frankly, insurance of over 2 grand a year just seems insane, for almost any vehicle besides the truly high end.

My full coverage insurance for a year comes to right around $500. Granted that is on a pretty old 1998 Chevy S10 pickup. The only reason I carry full coverage on it is because it only has 105,000 miles on it and I had body work done last year to get rid of all the rust.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008

It isn't just that. Look at the LOCATION. It obviously is going to cost a hell of a lot more to insure a car in a higher density population city than it would in a rural area. Just by nature of moving from Omaha to Las Vegas caused my insurance on a 1995 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer to go up from $400/year to $475 every 6 months, and I made that move in 1998. Not taken into account is:

• probability of car being stolen,
  • probability of car being in an accident based on number of people in the area,
  • wear/tear on the car given the conditions of the area,
  • road conditions in the area,
  • cost of living, and
  • density of the population.

Good case study: compare the cost of insurance for someone in their mid 20s, excellent driving record, in the entire metropolitan Des Moines, Iowa area, against someone living in Alhambra, Bellflower, or Whittier, in Los Angeles, that has a freeway commute to/from work. I'll guarantee you there is at least a good $400 difference in insurance.

BL.

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
SF
I actually have a pretty good record. Last surchargeable ticket I got was in 2008 so it was next to gone from my MA record. CA record I believe starts over since I got a new license here.

Massachusetts, has very strange laws on insurance. The rates for the liability portion are determined by the state. At one time, Geico wouldn't insure in Mass. I was living in Rhode Island at the time.
This isn't the case anymore. About 3-4 years ago they lifted this and now all companies determine their own rates as in most other states.

Frankly, insurance of over 2 grand a year just seems insane, for almost any vehicle besides the truly high end.
I agree 100%. But insurance companies don't and they're the ones insuring the car, unfortunately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.