Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gluckett

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
The article says "measured diagonally" which is (and I've done it" 4" The same as the proposed / rumoured parts in the link.

I'm assuming the measurement is the same as the way TV sets are defined.

Ummm you might want to ask for a refund on your measuring device because I just did and it is slightly over 3.5" as advertised...

NumberNine

macrumors regular
May 12, 2011
So glad Apple is slowly moving away from Samsung. Other companies like Sony, LG and Sharp are playing much nicer with Apple. Hope Samsung, one day, learns the lesson.

Will you sleep better knowing they are moving away from Samsung?

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
The article says "measured diagonally" which is (and I've done it" 4" The same as the proposed / rumoured parts in the link.

OK. Perhaps your ruler is faulty. All iPhones to date have a 3.5" screen size.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
conspiracy-lg-pacman-secret-subliminal-messaging-Favim.com-233015.gif

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Ehhhh, I'll pass.

Its the 4S 3

I'm looking to Android and Windows Phone 8 now

----------

First of all all iPods and iPhones have been "Retina" for the last 2 generations.

Second, "Retina" is a made up term by by Apple. It means Jack.

Actually, it doesn't "mean jack" - it has a defined, specific meaning based on a formula.

The short version is "a screen with high enough dpi that a normal human eye cannot distinguish individual pixels at the normal use distance".

The longer version take into account the pixel spacing, the resolution of the human eye, the distance from the screen and so on.

Just because they have chosen to use the term in marketing material doesn't mean "it means jack". Your ignorance is showing, you might want to look to that.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Not LG again, they make crap displays, all have colour temp issues, backlight bleeding, and yellowing. They also supply most displays for iMac's. I hate LG and have for years because their quality of products is too poor for my liking. I prefer Sharp / IGZO or Samsung. BTW I believe IGZO is only being produced by Sharp, so LG may refer to it as a different name. Is there a way to tell the LCD panel in an iPhone, like on the Mac computers?

Apple should only use Japan LCD / Sharp IGZO panels or Samsung, as these are higher quality and don't have colour reproduction / temp issues. Problem is if Samsung is suing Apple and vice Versa wont this cause issues?

Doggonit

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2012
So glad Apple is slowly moving away from Samsung. Other companies like Sony, LG and Sharp are playing much nicer with Apple. Hope Samsung, one day, learns the lesson.

Wow, really? See the world with the Steve-Jobs-Kool-Aid tinted glasses much?

Last I checked, it was Apple that is being a ********** litigate-'em-to-death type who refuses to play nicely with others.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
Ehhhh, I'll pass.

Its the 4S 3

I'm looking to Android and Windows Phone 8 now

----------

First of all all iPods and iPhones have been "Retina" for the last 2 generations.

Second, "Retina" is a made up term by by Apple. It means Jack.

I agree it's just a stupid made up term!

When I buy chicken wings at a bar I get so upset when they use, mild or hot wings. They are so stupid!! They should just use the scoville scale, so I know how many heat unit the wings have. Spicy hot wing is just a stupid made up term.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
HOLD ON A SECOND.

If the OP is true, then that means..... that means..... there could be some sort of new iPhone launching soon. :eek:

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania

I'm assuming the measurement is the same as the way TV sets are defined.

Get a new ruler. iPhone 4S is 3.5" diagonal.

----------

Not LG again, they make crap displays, all have colour temp issues, backlight bleeding, and yellowing. They also supply most displays for iMac's. I hate LG and have for years because their quality of products is too poor for my liking. I prefer Sharp / IGZO or Samsung. BTW I believe IGZO is only being produced by Sharp, so LG may refer to it as a different name. Is there a way to tell the LCD panel in an iPhone, like on the Mac computers?

Apple should only use Japan LCD / Sharp IGZO panels or Samsung, as these are higher quality and don't have colour reproduction / temp issues. Problem is if Samsung is suing Apple and vice Versa wont this cause issues?

LG manufactures panels for some of the top display companies like Eizo and NEC. LGs displays are some of the best in the world. Samsung tend to be plagued with extremely high color temperautes, overly saturated colors, black crush, and other issues expected of in low end consumer panels.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Last edited:

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
Does this seem to be a little late to anyone else?

Think I remember a rumor about an announcement with a shipping date a few weeks later, but you'd think Apple would wait until they were sure the panels would be ready & on time before setting a date for an announcement. But I guess the folks in Cupertino are pretty good at setting this stuff up by now.

sevimli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
ChiTown
Looking at the Macbook Pro section of the forum, I can see that this means people will demand numerous exchanges till they find a samsung LCD in their iPhones. :cool:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Looking at the Macbook Pro section of the forum, I can see that this means people will demand numerous exchanges till they find a samsung LCD in their iPhones. :cool:

That is a fact. Personally, I've had a laptop with an LG screen from Apple and it was great. I've had a dud as well ... looks like people are going to lose their **** if this happens.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Grumpy old men are better than stupid young hipsters.

You'll see why in another 30 years ;)

No, grumpy old men are never better. And why do they drive around with their mouth's always opened? Never understood that...?

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
I heard Samsung display was the best?

Not LG again, they make crap displays
I prefer Sharp / IGZO or Samsung.
Problem is if Samsung is suing Apple and vice Versa wont this cause issues?

Will you sleep better knowing they are moving away from Samsung?

I feel like a broken record here but LG has been the main iPhone display for years now and Samsung doesn't make phone LCD displays in large volume anymore. Even if there was no law suit going on, Samsung still can't supply iPhone LCDs because they can't make them.

anikgol

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2003
terrific now LG can screw up the iphone also

like they did with the MBPr display. Im referring to the 'ghosting' issue.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Are you ready to be disappointed?

The term dissapointed is really subjective though. Especially considering I've seen and used extensively the competitors products, and have not really been blown away. But in the end it's all in what suits you best, and personal preference really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.