Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
not read the article, but can i get it 32", why can i not buy any "good" small TVs ?
You're better off looking for a 32" monitor, especially if you want 4K or any resolution higher than 1080p. As others have said, there's no real value in small TV's. The best you're going to get at 32" is 1080p. If that's okay then you are in luck. There are tons of them available and they are inexpensive as all get out (less than a pair of AirPods). TCL makes some pretty decently rated TV's. For less than $200, with the appropriate mindset and level of expectation, you can't go wrong.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
AirPlay 2 will enable users to stream videos, music, podcasts, and more directly from an iPhone, iPad, or Mac to a compatible LG smart TV, with no Apple TV necessary.

I’m not sure about this being presented as if it’s beneficial…

I can see that being able to AirPlay on an ad hoc basis (e.g. if a friend is round) is useful, but in most cases the user experience of a dedicated device such as Apple TV is going to be far nicer than constantly having to have your iPhone / iPad / Mac in reach and fiddle with its on-screen controls to get something to appear on your TV.

One way it will help is with outlay - but then if you’re buying one of these TVs you probably can stretch to an Apple TV too.

Reactions: gnipgnop

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I keep hearing about this but can’t ever seem to find it. Any chance you know of a link to the actual purchase-able product (as opposed to a vaporware news announcement)?
Sorry, 48” not 43” Introduced for this season but not out quite yet. Due in June.

Not vapourware. Real retail product has been demo’d, not just prototypes.

Too bad it wasn’t released a while back. I desparately wanted a high end 48” TV for my living room cabinet, preferably with wide viewing angles. OLED would have been perfect. 49” VA panels were just a smidge too big and the viewing angles aren’t great, and the next size down was 43”. However almost all of the 43” models were IPS, because people use them as computer monitors or gaming monitors. I ended up buying an IPS 43” TV for that room. That 48” OLED would fit that cabinet perfectly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Detnator

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
LG NanoCell TVs deliver stunning color reproduction by using a layer of one-nanometer sized particles that filter out impurities resulting in natural, lifelike color, which remain more accurate, even at wide viewing angles.
They just copy/pasted their OLED promo lol

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
It's just marketing fluff, like quantum dot and neural engine.

Not entirely...regardless of the marketing term used (quantum dot/nanocell/triluminos etc), it's a layer in the screen that helps improve the color gamut and brightness.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Not entirely...regardless of the marketing term used (quantum dot/nanocell/triluminos etc), it's a layer in the screen that helps improve the color gamut and brightness.
Agreed, but the term itself doesn't really mean anything. It's just a marketing name they made up. At least it's not as bad as Samsung though with their "QLED" term. I suspect they came up with that acronym because it looks like the word "OLED", so the uninitiated might get fooled.

In any case, regardless if it's nanocell or not, the bigger point here is that these LG LCD TVs are IPS, which isn't ideal for a modern TV used in low ambient lighting. LG's top of the line nanocell TVs have mediocre black levels at best, and almost anything below their top tier has downright poor black levels.

I have an IPS TV for a secondary TV, but I wouldn't recommend an IPS TV for a primary TV, unless in very specific circumstances.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
you mean a quality difference 90% of the population wouldn’t notice?
If you're talking Nanocell vs OLED:

In low light, on certain content, just about anyone can notice the difference between an LG Nanocell TV and an LG OLED.

It's true 90% of the population might not know what to look for, but if given a proper demo, I'd say >90% would see a clear difference.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Smart TVs make no sense.

A TV lasts ten years or more... but the software will be 'dead' within several years.

Do you think Disney Plus is being added to five year old TVs?

A $3,000 Smart TV is probably inferior to an Amazon Fire stick within 3-4 years of release.

Don't waste my time. Sell me a great panel and I'll supply an Apple TV, which I'll upgrade every 3-4 years.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
In any case, regardless if it's nanocell or not, the bigger point here is that these LG LCD TVs are IPS, which isn't ideal for a modern TV used in low ambient lighting. LG's top of the line nanocell TVs have mediocre black levels at best, and almost anything below their top tier has downright poor black levels.

4K TVs are just more complicated when it comes to understanding strengths/weaknesses vs the HDTV era. More jargon, more technology variances that can make a difference based on personal preference. IMO, the #1 thing to ignore in the marketing is the stuff about the processors in the TVs. Most of the picture and motion handling advances are really done by software and TV manufacturers will artificially limit which models get those software advances. They make it seem like the newer processor in the newest model year is making it possible, which in most cases is not true.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Smart TVs make no sense.

A TV lasts ten years or more... but the software will be 'dead' within several years.

Do you think Disney Plus is being added to five year old TVs?

A $3,000 Smart TV is probably inferior to an Amazon Fire stick within 3-4 years of release.

Don't waste my time. Sell me a great panel and I'll supply an Apple TV, which I'll upgrade every 3-4 years.
Smart TV features may not make the most sense, but pretty much all the best quality TVs have smart features. You're free to ignore those smart TV features if you want though.

Interestingly though, Amazon Prime is better as a smart app on my LG OLED than it is on Apple TV 4K. For some reason, the interface for Amazon Prime on Apple TV 4K sucks. For most other apps I prefer Apple TV 4K, but what I don't like is the Apple TV remote.

4K TVs are just more complicated when it comes to understanding strengths/weaknesses vs the HDTV era. More jargon, more technology variances that can make a difference based on personal preference. IMO, the #1 thing to ignore in the marketing is the stuff about the processors in the TVs. Most of the picture and motion handling advances are really done by software and TV manufacturers will artificially limit which models get those software advances. They make it seem like the newer processor in the newest model year is making it possible, which in most cases is not true.
Yes, personal preferences are important, but it's no surprise that LG nanocell TVs consistently rank low for movie watching year after year, due to their poor to mediocre black levels and consequently poor to mediocre contrast ratios.

BTW, regarding personal preferences: This is the one thing I hate the most about the iPads and iPad Pros, since I watch movies on them. I don't watch movies on my iPhone, so I'm less concerned about it on my iPhone.

I'm curious when the iPad Pro will get mini-LED, and how much it will improve contrast ratio.

Last edited:

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
LG has horrible customer service; you get what you pay for.

So does Sony, Samsung, Visio, Apple, Microsoft, and any other manufacturer according to somebody somewhere. What’s your point? Oh, and AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint all suck too. Again, what’s your point?

Reactions: Kram Sacul

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
No point to have 8K now. And by the time its needed those tvs will be super cheap. So yeah, this is just an exercise
They are already working on 16K. It’s like megapixels, it will never end...

Reactions: Freida

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
So does Sony, Samsung, Visio, Apple, Microsoft, and any other manufacturer according to somebody somewhere. What’s your point? Oh, and AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint all suck too. Again, what’s your point?
Actually, LG typically doesn't get as good reviews as Apple. Yes, every company gets some bad ratings, but when you compare averages, Apple consistently does better than LG.

Reactions: Detnator and BF1M

pth231

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2015
How is LG when it comes to data collection of its smart TVs? Can you disable the smarts (mic, watching habbits, data collection, etc), but keep the HomeKit/Airplay integration?
Just about everything else electronic in your life already has your info, whats one more tv?

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
Yes, personal preferences are important, but it's no surprise that LG nanocell TVs consistently rank low for movie watching year after year, due to their poor to mediocre black levels and consequently poor to mediocre contrast ratios.

VA panels will always be better for blacks/contrast vs IPS, but that advantage disappears when viewed at more than a 30 degree angle. The industry primarily uses VA panels now because that's been proven to be more popular for consumer sales, but IPS panels still serve a purpose.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
No point to have 8K now. And by the time its needed those tvs will be super cheap. So yeah, this is just an exercise

Different folks...
I expect 80% of those 8K sets are sold to "industry" in the sense that they are sold to commercial entities that will use them to test their various 8K wares (games, entertainment content, UI's, ...) going forward.
Or the flip side of "industry" namely sports bars and similar, where again the job of the TV is to make money and a better TV will earn its way by attracting customers. Even if all you're using is better upscaling to a larger screen, that's not nothing!
(Of course who knows when places like that will get back to ordering TVs...)

Anyone know for a fact how the market breaks out? (There appear to be multiple reports available detailing this info --- but all very expensive.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.