Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nima

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
san ramon, california
i have to pay for my phone bill and im just 16 and i want something cheap but then again i dont have an mp3 player and i might need more then 8gb because im getting a 8gb chip for the dare... also cameras beter on he dare and iphone isnt...but more people have att then verizon...so im confused..help!

adamerr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2008
sorry let me be specific. my mother and i are going into a family plan but she wants me to pay for the unlimited data. so now what is your opinion?

p.s. why is it crap??

mate, you are on an Apple lovers (cult) forum.
of course nothing is going to add up to an iPhone.

:D

Next Tuesday

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2006
Orlando,FL
mate, you are on an Apple lovers (cult) forum.
of course nothing is going to add up to an iPhone.

:D

Lg dare is just another iphone clone. Only thing it has on the iphone is the 5mp cam which prolly isnt that great anyways. The UI is what sets phones apart. ALso, this is an apple forum. =o)

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
There really is no decision IMO, it is just the iPhone or nothing lol. I don't know anything about the Dare, but can tell you that the iPhone is amazing.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
i think most people in general would prefer the iPhone. it doesn't matter if your 16 or 6, as long as you join your mom in a family contract it will basically cost $40 added to the plan. $10 for the extra line and $30 for data. keep in mind this does not include texts. if you can handle the $30 a month then i advise to get the iPhone. good luck

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
if you're 16 and can't afford $30 towards a data plan, i advise getting a job before getting a phone.

nima

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
san ramon, california
Yeah if you are 16...you should have at least a part time job...unless you have rich parents or a trust fund.

i do have a job. but still willing to pay 30$ a month just for data seems a little too absurd for me but im still willing to pay as long as i get what i pay for. so lg dare seems to be very economical. except more people have att then verizon so thats my only problem and ill only have 8gb memory instead of 16gb.

lilmitchmitch

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2008
Orlando
I'm 18, 19 in a few months, and I had to pay for the phone and data plan (not to mention my dad wants 12 months worth of the data cost paid at the first bill :p). I do have a part time job and it's not that bad. Getting my phone on Monday... and I'm sure it'll be worth it.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
i do have a job. but still willing to pay 30$ a month just for data seems a little too absurd for me but im still willing to pay as long as i get what i pay for. so lg dare seems to be very economical. except more people have att then verizon so thats my only problem and ill only have 8gb memory instead of 16gb.

"economical" LOL?

ert3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
I recomend the iphone just because it is so expandable.

Sprint and Verizon seem to pride themselves on jail break proof phones.

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
If you go with the iPhone, you miss out on sneaking out on building ledges or racing pitbulls in junkyards. I don't know. Compelling arguments to be made for that vaunted Dare adrenaline rush... :eek:

SMacDuff

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
I had the LG Prada and absolutely hated the software on it. Just to listen to music or answer calls through the headphones meant going through the menus and setting it to headphone mode which is very annoying. There was no firmware upgrades made for it...LG simply seemed to forget all about it since it was made exclusively for Prada. Not to say that they haven't changed the menu system since then but I simply won't ever consider LG's phones again for as long as I live.

Regardless of my experience, my suggestion is to try out both phones before you commit to one or the other.

MyJelleo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

I thought the LG dare was going to be good competition for the iPhone. So much so that I recommended it to all my friends who were stuck with verizon. However, my impression was based off of reviews.

When I saw the phone in person, I was far from impressed. The Dare feels cheap. The camera has more features, but the rest of the phone was pretty unimpressive: for example, the Dare's screen is cheap plastic while the iPhone is glass. Touch screen was responsive, but it isn't multitouch.

The one thing I couldn't get over is how some reviewers called this phone an iPhone killer. It is no where near an iPhone killer. It's a cheap alternative for those who want to be different from the rest of the people who like the iPhone. Kind of like the Goths in high school: they try so hard to be different from the conformed norm that it's ridiculous.

If you want to get a phone to blow people away, which is what my mind set was at 16, get the iPhone. You get higher quality software and build material for about the same purchase price. You also turn more heads because you're a 16 year old with an iPhone.

This is all my opinion, btw. I suggest you go test out both phones at a verizon and at&t store. They usually have demos up for you to personally examine. From there, you can decide on which phone to get.

"economical" LOL?

Are you suggesting that's not a real word? http://www.bartleby.com/61/14/E0031400.html

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
I am on Verizon, I visited the store today to find out about my contract and when it ends, with the excitement of getting an iPhone this week. Unfortunately the ultimate decision was I need to stay on Verizon for at least 3 months, if not another year.

In the store, when I mentioned the iPhone, all of the Verizon reps had nasty things to say about it and said the LG Dare is SO much better. They were so persistent that they actually took me to a Dare and explained why it was better, feature by feature.

I walked out of the store thinking that the LG Dare was absolutely horrible. The Voyager is a much better phone with the Dare's touch screen being very awkward and the buttons being too close together which leads to accidentally hitting the wrong one.

However, they were very good at showing their Blackberrys off, without even trying, and I was almost sort of wanting the Blackberry 8830 by the end of the day. Plus, that plan is only $20 more per month for 3G equal speeds.

So, my advice is if you're looking for an iPhone-esque Verizon phone, check out the Voyager, the Dare isn't so great, and the Blackberrys are awesome. If you want the best phone, get the iPhone.

nima

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
san ramon, california
ok

thanks for the comments that helps yes i figured i might just get iphone and use the email text thing and plus im getting more memory too so yeah also all i have to pay for is data so that works out and ill end up spending more on lg dare since id have to get individual plan. but yeah dare is better than voyager. u dont use voyagers touch to much and i love touching phones..lol but im just saying u understand.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
They are not even comparable as iPhone is a smartphone and LG Dare (Or actually LG Prada) is not.

The real competition to iphone is Nokia S60 phones, WinMo (Not much of a competition IMO), Palm (again fairly crappy), and Crackberry ;)

Also, I am big on getting GSM phone because I am not from the US and whenever I travel back home, I have to have GSM to use the local SIM card. But that's just me probably

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
I am on Verizon, I visited the store today to find out about my contract and when it ends, with the excitement of getting an iPhone this week. Unfortunately the ultimate decision was I need to stay on Verizon for at least 3 months, if not another year.

In the store, when I mentioned the iPhone, all of the Verizon reps had nasty things to say about it and said the LG Dare is SO much better. They were so persistent that they actually took me to a Dare and explained why it was better, feature by feature.

I walked out of the store thinking that the LG Dare was absolutely horrible. The Voyager is a much better phone with the Dare's touch screen being very awkward and the buttons being too close together which leads to accidentally hitting the wrong one.

However, they were very good at showing their Blackberrys off, without even trying, and I was almost sort of wanting the Blackberry 8830 by the end of the day. Plus, that plan is only $20 more per month for 3G equal speeds.

So, my advice is if you're looking for an iPhone-esque Verizon phone, check out the Voyager, the Dare isn't so great, and the Blackberrys are awesome. If you want the best phone, get the iPhone.

I hear ya, I actually had to accompany my friend who wanted to extend his VZW contract and get another phone (he is not a phone freak and he is only getting a free phone).

So I went there with my iPhone and Nokia N95 which I borrowed from my girlfriend for GPS use. When they saw me with all these GSM phones they're like, "why didn't you use VZW", I of course answered that I need a GSM phones whenever I travel back home and I just like the freedom of using unlocked phones. They suddenly get really pissed and very defensive, saying how GSM technology sucks (which is a little true in North America but definitely not in Europe/Asia) and how I could've used their phone and get GPS instead of carrying two devices...

I was astonished by this and retaliate and I mentioned that they are a bloodsucker and to use their GPS service, I have to pay additional money whereas using the N95, I get the GPS for free from the phone.

Realizing this, they then argued how suck is the iPhone and how it has no features (probably because they lost the first argument) and I whipped out my jailbroken iPhone and played tap tap revolution while asking whether any of their phones can do that :eek:

Thank goodness my friend did not take long at the counter or I would've exploded by the ignorance displayed by these VZW bigots

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.