Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
and by bigots you mean sales people? Come on, they're just trying to sell you a phone that's how they get paid.

Yes I understand that but the amount of ignorance is very high. Obviously I cannot convey the same message from a forum but the tone that they give me is very defensive, full of hatred towards iPhone and trying very hard to prove me wrong...

Trying to sell me their product is one thing but hating other product is another.

I've talked to other salespersons before and none of them are as bad as these guys in that store I visited. Maybe I just met a hardcore VZW-er, there is always a black-sheep somewhere ;)

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
now nima, why are you basing it on at&t versus verizon. doesnt your mom get to decide which carrier if shes the one getting the family plan. it pretty much comes down to which carrier she wants to go with

mykoljay

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
I'm a VZW user and decided to go with iphone 3g (coming in tomorrow from ATT Direct Fulfillment). It was actually a difficult decision because my fiance probably talks over 3k mins a month to her friends in-network.

The real deciding factor was the App Store and podcasts.

These non-iphones just do not serve well as media players (have a moto q for 2 yrs).

Back to the subject - I played with the Dare for a few minutes at the VZW store. The one positive was that is was easier to type on than the iphone (in my opinion) however according to everyone the iphone gets easier as you get used to it (we'll see).

Vegan TJ

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
Iphone vs LG dare

ok im trying to prove to my friend that the iphone is much much better..
can someone give me and detailed list as to why the iphone is better..why the user interface is much better..and he also said by christmas there will be an influx of iphone killers..list reasons why not.. and he also said the iphone will be obsolete is about 6 months hahah someone help me out

ivtecDOu

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2008
mass
ok im trying to prove to my friend that the iphone is much much better..
can someone give me and detailed list as to why the iphone is better..why the user interface is much better..and he also said by christmas there will be an influx of iphone killers..list reasons why not.. and he also said the iphone will be obsolete is about 6 months hahah someone help me out
isn't there already a thread on this

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
http://www.google.com

29m3l94.png

ivtecDOu

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2008
mass
kind of but not really..it doesnt give a detailed list of why the iphone is better or anything it just says the iphone is better

well for one you want us to do work for you, read the thread and find the pros and cons for each

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
If he's tech illiterate then use big words explaining the iPhones UI.

"The iPhone 3G has a Software Development Kit (SDK) that was released in the beta stages a few months ago for developers to create their programs to be run on the iPhone. Imagine OSX on a mobile platform, with OpenGL, Cocoa, etc. The iPhones built in accelerometer and proximity sensors give the phone the extra bonus of having complete control over the device. If you shake the phone the advanced core physics in the games react like it's actually in person. This makes the LG Dare shi*."

:p

yode

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2007
Los Angeles
If he's tech illiterate then use big words explaining the iPhones UI.

"The iPhone 3G has a Software Development Kit (SDK) that was released in the beta stages a few months ago for developers to create their programs to be run on the iPhone. Imagine OSX on a mobile platform, with OpenGL, Cocoa, etc. The iPhones built in accelerometer and proximity sensors give the phone the extra bonus of having complete control over the device. If you shake the phone the advanced core physics in the games react like it's actually in person. This makes the LG Dare shi*."

:p

LG Dare has an accelerometer btw. Another thing, LG Dare = Dumbphone. iPhone = Smartphone. Not comparable.

cyberone

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
Instead, have a look at the Nokia E71.

All metal body, beautiful design, very functional.

The only main advantage of the iPhone being the more beautiful menu icons, but camera, A-GPS maps, scanning and easiness of typing, I'd give the E71 a go.

iPaul

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2006
I switched from Verizon on July 11th and a retention agent called me today. told me that i should return my iPhone ASAP and cancel my at&t service, and that they would delete the ETFs and give me a discount on service and a free LG Dare. I asked why I would do that, that I had intentionally left Verizon knowing that I would incur the ETF because I wanted the iPhone and I love it. He says, it has so many problems and the LG Dare is a better phone. I said, I haven't had any problems. What makes the LG Dare better? Scrambling, all he could say was that I couldn't change the battery on the iPhone myself and that I love my iPhone now but I won't when it doesn't work in the future. At which point I laughed and hung up.

They are so pathetic.

Spartan313

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2008
You guys bagging on the Dare are all very ignorant. My friend has an iphone and I have the dare, and personaly I like them both. One reason I think the Dare could possibly be a smarter choice than the iphone is that almost all of the features that come standard on the dare, can only be accesed on the iphone by jailbreaking it. Personally, I also think the iphone is actually crap as a phone, yeah all the apps are fun and stuff, but if you want a portable device for games and apps and stuff, just get a flipping psp or ds or something like that. If you actually compare the iphone to the dare with all of its standard features, the dare is much better. It has a better camera, the sound quality is better, it comes with more standard features and many other things. Oh, and all you idiots saying it isnt a smart phone, try getting your info right before spurting off ignorant things like that. Oh and it does support full html web browsing, you can acces almost every feature with voice commands, from making a call to playing music, its also relatively cheaper.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Look at it this way:

Ever reviewer is going to compare the LG Dare to the iPhone. Why take a clone when you can have the real thing?

What the LG Dare doesn't have:

A real, usable desktop-class browser.
Huge developer support (almost a thousand sweet apps in the App Store)
An amazing multitouch panel (it really, really sucks on the Dare, it doesn't even compare to the iPhone)
A nice user interface
YouTube
Google Maps
A lot more

What the LG Dare has:
MMS
Video Recorder

And that's it. I think the decision should be more than obvious ;).

bluenoise

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
I played with a Dare yesterday because I was with some coworkers who needed to pick up a couple of bluetooth headsets. We spent a couple of minutes messing with it until we gave up trying to get it to do anything like the iPhone can do. The browser, once we figured out how to get it out of some mode where icons were floating around loose on the screen, was really slow and ended up rendering the page just like my WM phones would do with overlapping text and incomplete frames. That was all we needed to see that the iPhone has nothing to fear from this phone.

ETA: The staff was very friendly, though.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
You guys bagging on the Dare are all very ignorant. My friend has an iphone and I have the dare, and personaly I like them both. One reason I think the Dare could possibly be a smarter choice than the iphone is that almost all of the features that come standard on the dare, can only be accesed on the iphone by jailbreaking it. Personally, I also think the iphone is actually crap as a phone, yeah all the apps are fun and stuff, but if you want a portable device for games and apps and stuff, just get a flipping psp or ds or something like that. If you actually compare the iphone to the dare with all of its standard features, the dare is much better. It has a better camera, the sound quality is better, it comes with more standard features and many other things. Oh, and all you idiots saying it isnt a smart phone, try getting your info right before spurting off ignorant things like that. Oh and it does support full html web browsing, you can acces almost every feature with voice commands, from making a call to playing music, its also relatively cheaper.

My uncle has the dare and I've played around with it. It's complete crap compared to the iPhone. Worst UI ever and there's not a lot (if any) third party support.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I played around with in a Verizon store. I've played around with Sprint's Instinct, too. Not a single thing about them comes close the iPhone. The iPhone either has what they don't have and does everything much, much better, or the phone has something basic that the iPhone doesn't have (MMS, video camera, and that's pretty much it). As a bonus, the screen is a lot nicer on the iPhone.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island

No the LG Dare does indeed sucks and I am not bragging about it. Personally speaking, I am a power smartphone user and I can't live without my smartphone. For me, phones that are not a smartphone just don't cut it anymore.

Now, the definition of smartphone is a phone that has a personal digital assistant in it. Nowadays, smartphone usually implies a phone that uses full fledged mobile operating system such as Symbian Os, Windows Mobile, OS X Mobile, or Palm OS, etc. The advantage of this is that there are a lot of applications can be installed to these platform whereas "regular" dumbphones such as LG Dare can only install Java Crapplications. Also, with these mobile Os, it's easy to multi-task and whatnot whereas regular phone OS lacking.

I have played with LG Dare before and the browsing is nowhere nice as the iPhone because you can't do multi touch gesture on it.
In terms of applications, it's worse than Symbian, WinMo, and OS X Mobile because Dare (or Prada) can only install Java Crapplications not a real mobile platform. It's necessary to have these applications to expand the capabilities of our phones eg: VOIP application, eWallet application, Games for occasional play, Email client, etc2.

The only thing iPhone is lacking vs LG Dare as per your post is that the ability of Dare to control everything via voice but that's mainly good for Dare because the interface is sluggish, I wouldn't want to touch the phone to make a call... FYI, if you really need this, Nokia S60 phones are able to do these as well and they are SMARTPHONES.

I think the bottom line for this post is that I abhor dumbphones because of my needs. You may only need features that the dumbphones give you but I personally NEED to have installed applications, NOT only for games but for other personal need as well that these dumbphones can't provide. I think for me, the choice is clear, it's between Nokia S60 phones, iPhone OSX Mobile, or to a lesser extent, various win-mo devices. Definitely not those dumbphones without real operating system (Example: LG Dare or Samsung Instinct) ;)

Cheers

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

LOL LG Dare

karmamule

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2008
Waltham, MA
Tried Dare for 2 weeks before iPhone

While waiting for the iPhone to come out I decided to try out the LG Dare, so bought one and brought it home to use for a week and a half. I didn't just use it for a few minutes in a store, I used it frequently for those days. While I do think the iPhone is the better phone, and I have one now and love it, I do think the LG Dare is also a very good phone, with strengths of its own.

- 3.2 mp camera
-- lots more control: white balance, exposure etc
-- makes taking panoramic photos really easy
-- has LED flash
- Can take videos
-- 30 fps or 120 fps to capture fast moving objects
- Better call quality (I think the iPhone's call quality is very good, but the Dare's was excellent)
- Depending on where you live the Verizon network may provide better support (it did NOT for me, one of the reasons I ended up with an iPhone)
-- Haptic feedback. The touch screen works by pressure as opposed to iPhone's, and it definitely isn't as good, BUT once you get used to it, it actually works fairly well
- Browser may not have multi-touch, but you can easily zoom in/out on portions of a page using the volume buttons, which works quite well, especially if you'd like to browse without needing to use both hands
- QWERTY keyboard more consistently available in landscape mode, not just in a couple areas
- MMS, and unlimited texting is included in their Nationwide premium plan, which anyone getting a Dare should get
- When in range of their EVDO rev a 3g the browser is very fast
- GPS seems to get a lock faster than the iPhones
- Turn-by-turn navigation available out of the box, and works pretty well (also free with their Nationwide Premium plans too)

Depending on what's important to the particular consumer, (camera/video capabilities, want a smaller phone than the iPhone, don't plan on browsing the web alot) I think the LG Dare can be a solid choice.

Having said all this, yes I ended up with an iPhone, and *for me* it's a much better choice. (If for no other reason, I do NOT get a good signal from Verizon where I live, and my AT&T 3G signal is solid and reliable.) I won't bother iterating through all its strengths, since everyone here knows them well, I just wanted to say that the LG Dare is actually a very good phone that could work well for some people.

auburnfan24

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Lg dare is just another iphone clone. Only thing it has on the iphone is the 5mp cam which prolly isnt that great anyways. The UI is what sets phones apart. ALso, this is an apple forum. =o)

5mp? try 3.2mp....i play with one everyday at work (demo line) and the only real good thing it has on the iphone is the camera's abilities...face detection, multiple shots....etc.

-no third party apps
-plastic screen...i scratched ours up in one day of playing and putting it in my pocket
-internet is crap...no wifi, and web pages are hard to navigate
-push-sensitive...not TOUCH sensitive like the iphone...you have to actually push stuff or use the stylus....

just a few things i seee that make the iphone stand out...

Spartan313

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2008
This little bit right here is for the guy who said the dare isn't a smart phone.

There is no agreement in the industry about what a smartphone actually is and definitions have changed over time.[2] According to David Wood, EVP at Symbian, "Smart phones differ from ordinary mobile phones in two fundamental ways: how they are built and what they can do."[6] Other definitions put different stresses on these two factors.[citation needed]

Most devices considered smartphones today use an identifiable operating system, often with the ability to add applications (e.g. for enhanced data processing, connectivity or entertainment) - in contrast to regular phones which only support sandboxed applications (like Java games)[citation needed]. These smartphone applications may be developed by the manufacturer of the device, by the network operator or by any other third-party software developer[citation needed].

In terms of features, most smartphones support full featured email capabilities with the functionality of a complete personal organizer. Other functionality might include an additional interface such as a miniature QWERTY keyboard, a touch screen or a D-pad, a built-in camera, contact management, an accelerometer, built-in navigation hardware and software, the ability to read business documents in a variety of formats such as PDF and Microsoft Office, media software for playing music, browsing photos and viewing video clips, internet browsers or even just secure access to company mail, such as is provided by a BlackBerry.

Oh and karmamule(i think thats his name) seems like one of the only open minded people on this forum. And once again, I'm not saying the Dare is better and I'm not saying the iphone is better, but think about this. If the iphone phone is so great why do they have to keep making new ones to fix things? Another thing. Try comparing the 1g iphone to the new dare, because it isnt exactly fair to try and compare something that has been out so long and had time to improved upon, to something that just came out and hasn't had time to really get user feedback and improve the phone based on it. There are also quiet a few other features that apparently you guys don't even know about. The phone automatically adjust the brightness of the backlight according to how much light there is around you. The ui also isnt "clunky and slow" It runs nice and smooth for me, it can be used as a modem, it has a sketch pad, you can actually write with the touch pad when texting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.