MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

LG has denied copying the iPhone X's notched design with its latest G7 ThinQ smartphone, unveiled on Wednesday, according to The Korea Herald.

lgg7thinq2-800x450.jpg

"We planned the notch design before Apple," said Hwang Jeong-hwan, chief of LG's mobile division, in an interview. "The display design may look similar to that of other smartphones, but boasts differentiated features."

LG is one of several Android smartphone makers that have unveiled iPhone X lookalikes in the months following the debut of Apple's flagship handset, alongside the likes of Asus, Huawei, and others. One notable holdout is Samsung, with its latest Galaxy S9 devices retaining uniform top and bottom bezels.

Google introduced support for "the latest edge-to-edge screens" with a "display cutout for camera and speaker" in Android P, the next major version of its mobile operating system that will be seeded to devices like the G7 ThinQ.

Apple has previously said the iPhone X reflects the next decade of smartphones, suggesting the controversial notch will remain for the foreseeable future. However, a questionable report from Korean website ET News recently suggested that Apple may remove the notch from iPhones starting with 2019 models.

Article Link: LG Denies Copying iPhone X's Notched Design With New G7 Smartphone

cendrizzi

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2011
In all honesty I wonder what the lead times are on this. I doubt they could have re-worked this in less than a year to match the iPhone X. If you have dealt with HW engineering (I have) then it's just not something you can change quickly. The iPhone X will always look like the pioneer however.

EDIT - I didn't know about essential.

Comment

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
"We planned the notch design before Apple," said Hwang Jeong-hwan

And sure enough, Android folks will buy this, in their processing of mourning that started with “ROTFL” and will end up with ”it’s the obvious design, Apple invented nothing”.

Comment

B4U

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Doesn’t matter how long ago they planned the design. Whoever had it patented or have the product second would be seen as the one who copied the first one.

(edited to fix a typo)

Last edited:
Reactions: H3LL5P4WN
Comment

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Love or hate the notch, there’s a clear reason why Apple put it in.

However if you’ve got a notch on your phone but only 2D facial recognition and still have a bezel on the bottom, you’re probably doing it wrong.

LG boast they “planned the notch first”, yet Apple put the notch in for the purpose of Face ID and it was a necessary compromise to make the technology work. LG have put it in for different reasons. They had it on the drawing board in the rejected pile and it’s now acceptable design as Apple have shipped a phone with it.

Comment

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Doesn’t matter how long ago they planned the design. Whoever had it patented or have the product secind would be seen as the one who copied the first one.

So then Apple, who was the second to have a notch, after Essential.

Comment

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Doesn’t matter how long ago they planned the design. Whoever had it patented or have the product secind would be seen as the one who copied the first one.

So then Apple copied Essential phone right?
[doublepost=1525462905][/doublepost]

And sure enough, Android folks will buy this, in their processing of mourning that started with “ROTFL” and will end up with ”it’s the obvious design, Apple invented nothing”.

At least, both Huawei and LG has way to hide this stupid notch. And according to some forum member, Apple copied essential phone.
[doublepost=1525462975][/doublepost]
Of course they would deny it, they would never directly admit that they are copying Apple blatantly in the notch design. You know...because no other smart phone competitors would mimic The iPhone.

Recognize or not. Apple has copied lots of features from Android competitor. Suck it up, Apple is also a copycat.

Comment

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I really like the LG G7 ThinQ. I may look into getting one in a few months after release if I can find a good deal.

But the truth is, Apple really doesn't have anything to worry about when it comes to LG phones.

If you have an iPhone X and you are happy with your iPhone X, don't worry. No one is going to make you give up your iPhone X and start using an LG G7 ThinQ.

Comment

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
EDIT - I didn't know about essential.

Most people don't know about them. Just did a Google search and found a BGR article that 88,000 Essential phones were sold in 2017. According to a MacRumors' article from earlier today, Apple sold over 42 million iPhones during the first quarter of 2018 alone.

Comment

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014

Not likely. Spend some time in the Android communities and you’ll see the criticisms. There will always be the crazed fanboy and fangirl out of touch with any semblance of reality and objectivity but Apple has its i-Sheep, so it all evens out.

No, a lot of Android enthusiasts think this is an embarrassing and absurd trend. And no, it’s nothing like the little bump on the Essential phone. The notch on an Android phone will be tolerated the same as it is on an iPhone but judging from the many comments and discussions I’ve followed and participated in, it’s not exactly eagerly embraced.

Comment

ikir

macrumors 68000
Sep 26, 2007
Ah ah ah loosers! These laming statement drive me to don't buy other LG products.

Comment

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
It’s not the notch that shows they are copycats. It’s the strangely similar wallpaper that says it all.

Comment

coolfactor

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The appearance of the iPhone notch in the video was not a good example. It appeared uneven left and right. Was that just the background image and lighting causing that illusion?

Comment

Joe h

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2017
Just another in a growing lineup of notched phones I’m not buying. If anything, maybe Apple will reconsider their design now that their unique eyesore is no longer unique?

Comment

trusso

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2003
At this point in the game, I think that arguing over design features (by lawyers and groupies alike) is juvenile and childish. It's like arguing over four wheels on a car, or toilets that flush, or the graphical user interface. :rolleyes: People may like or dislike certain features, but the "we did it first" crap falls on a lot of deaf ears. Just give me a machine that works; I could care less about the penis envy between corporate buffoons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kdarling
Comment

coolfactor

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If it wasn't for LG trying to defend itself in their keynote, and insulting Apple's efforts on stage, I'd have more respect for the company. But like Samsung, they are just childish.
[doublepost=1525465902][/doublepost]
Just another in a growing lineup of notched phones I’m not buying. If anything, maybe Apple will reconsider their design now that their unique eyesore is no longer unique?

Apple gives you a choice... use an iPhone 8.

I'm not sure why people are complaining about the notch. It was consumers _demanding_ edge-to-edge screens. Apple delivers, and then consumers complain that they needed to reserve a small space for the camera tech? Makes no sense in my mind. If they dropped the camera tech entirely, could you imagine the outcry then? Just can't please everyone.

It's not an eyesore, but the silly complaining hurts the ears.

Comment

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
I always thought that iPhone notch design will differentiate to all smartphone.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.