LG Display to Supply Apple With 2-4 Million OLED Panels for This Year's 'iPhone X Plus'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 28, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's multi-billion dollar investment in LG Display to start supplying OLED technology is close to bearing fruit, reports Bloomberg. According to the report's sources, the Korean firm is almost ready to become Apple's second supplier for OLED screens, allowing Apple to reduce its reliance on Samsung, currently the sole manufacturer of the panels in iPhone X models.

[​IMG]
    Previous rumors have suggested LG will be the supplier for this year's 6.5-inch "iPhone X Plus". The sources in today's report claim LG Display will initially supply between 2 million and 4 million units, as it continues to work on ramping up capacity. While those figures are small relative to Apple's sales, the sources note that they would help Apple gain leverage in price negotiations with Samsung as it looks to eventually switch to OLED-only production for iPhone.

In April, The Wall Street Journal claimed that mass production challenges had caused LG to fall behind the schedule it had agreed with Apple. As a result, opinions within Apple were said to be divided on whether LG Display would be in a position to complement Samsung as a second source of OLED displays for the upcoming iPhones. However, analysts at investment firm Susquehanna estimated that LG will supply as much as 20 percent of OLED displays for the 2018 lineup.

Apart from the "iPhone X Plus", Apple is expected to release two other iPhone models in 2018: a second generation iPhone X and a low-cost, 6.1-inch option with a similar full-face display as seen on the iPhone X, but with LCD rather than an OLED display.

Last month, South Korea's ET News reported that Apple's transition to a full OLED iPhone lineup will be complete in 2019. However, analysts immediately cast doubt on that claim, arguing that the switch would be too early and effectively remove the chance for a "low-cost" iPhone model like the LCD version believed to be coming this year. The same view is also supported by today's report:
    According to The Investor, Apple is investing 3 trillion won ($2.67 billion) in LG's OLED production for smartphones. LG is said to be building a production line dedicated to iPhone orders only, as part of its agreement with Apple.

Article Link: LG Display to Supply Apple With 2-4 Million OLED Panels for This Year's 'iPhone X Plus'

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Let’s hope LG’s OLED panels don’t have the consistency issues that the Pixel 2 experienced. Otherwise, I look forward to the side-by-side comparisons with the Samsung OLED panel from The 5.8 iPhone X to the 6.5 X Plus LG panel if true.

3. nfl46 macrumors 604

Sigh. It'd be just my luck that I get one of the LG panels. Ugh.

4. johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

Encouraging news for any would be X Plus buyers. With numbers so small the odds of a getting a Samsung panel are even greater. I can see the threads already... ‘Is yours a Samsung or LG Panel’

5. The Chosen One macrumors member

Only Iphone I´d possibly consider would be a SE2. Maybe next year I guess, seems unlikely with all the rumours and or facts of already known info/phones coming to have another (""budget"") phone in there.

Ah well I'm good with my Windows Phone though. Still the best OS! <3
    Maybe a new iPad though... we'll see.

6. and 4096 others like this macrumors member

and 4096 others like this

Would be cool to have 4,5" iPhone X in form of SE. X is just to expensive for my needs and new LCD 6,1" is just too big (almost same dimensions as Samsung Galaxy S8). If Apple will not update SE, then I guess I have to buy iPhone 8. Much cheaper and dimensions close to X...

7. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Well if LG do indeed make all the screens for a specific model, and that's the model you want, then it doesn't seem it's much down to luck. More like certainty.

8. The-Rift Suspended

The-Rift

After seeing the Pixel 2 XL screen and how blue it is, I won’t be getting the plus. I’ll stick to the one with the LCD screen.

9. jimmy_uk macrumors 6502

jimmy_uk

10. eggzachtly macrumors newbie

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't/isn't there issue with screen burn in on the Google Pixel 2 XL? I'm hoping these issues are resolved. Perhaps the screens won't be exactly like the 2XL and Apple will have helped LG warm up the color temperatures on the display.

In all honesty, I don't really care who makes the screens as long as they look beautiful!

11. citysnaps macrumors 601

If the LG display is better than the Samsung OLED display in my iPhone X, I'd be happy to purchase the next iPhone.

The current Samsung display is my only iPhone X gripe in an otherwise outstanding phone.

12. Tech198 macrumors G5

13. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

You haven't even seen the new iPhone yet and you're already making a decision about it? After all the bad press the Pixel 2 XL got, I can almost guarantee you Apple's implementation will be far better.

14. Oraichu macrumors member

Oraichu

No notch please. Really ruins the iphone X design.

15. dan110 macrumors 6502a

dan110

Wait ... aren't you doing the same thing that you're accusing him of doing?

16. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

If this rumor is true, it's almost a certainty that most would get a Sammy screen. This run is supposed to be 2-4 million panels. That's basically a test run. A small sample. Just a li'l bit. Apple ain't risking an entire sku on LG's suspect small OLED panels.

17. Aston441 macrumors 65816

I'm excited for the 6.1" LCD.

I hope it has great specs.

I hate OLED with passion.

18. Kabeyun, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018

Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

I actually don’t have that much of a problem with current LED offerings. I know the spec differences but my 8’s LED screen is lovely. Are people really interested in off-axis viewing in an iPhone? (Cue the flames.) What really has me interested is microLED. Hopefully that will be coming, and Apple is stopgapping with OLED until microLED is ready for prime time.

19. Radon87000 macrumors 604

The Pixel display was really bad. Looks like I am in for a panel lottery this September. I need the X Plus with a Samsung panel.

20. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

It’s not going to have the specs of the plus

21. fjarl macrumors member

I'm fairly sure Apple's specifications for the screens will be REALLY tight as to ensure consistency. If LG can't meet them, there will be A LOT of money at stake.

22. citysnaps macrumors 601

People who are fussy about color (such as photographers), are. I'd much rather have the LCD screen in my 6+ over the display in my X.

That said, I'm also really looking forward to seeing how MicroLED displays play out in the future.

23. Sasparilla, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018

Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Ugh as in really ugh. The Pixel 2 XL has an LG panel, the Pixel 2 has a Samsung panel. The reviews of the LG panel were horrendous (both for viewing quality itself, but also for almost immediate burn in on the LG panel). The Verge's review numbers for the 2 XL are significantly lower than the 2, because of that LG panel. LG is good for TV's, but they seem to be years behind in OLED smartphone screen tech.

Just to bring some memories back (basically immediate burn in with the LG panels on XL 2's): https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...gating-reports-of-pixel-2-xl-display-burn-in/

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/10/18/16489756/google-pixel-2xl-awful-lg-oled-screen

Here's Ars's review of the 2 Pixels, about 1/3rd of the way it compares the 2 panels: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...view-the-best-android-phone-you-can-buy/2/#h1

Please keep the mid size phone with an LCD Apple, give us an out from LG...

24. pbaker103 macrumors member

Hopefully Apple has strict with their LG OLED panel QC standards...

25. alwaysbeincontact macrumors regular

alwaysbeincontact