Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Mobile World Congress 2017 officially opened today in Barcelona, where some of the biggest names in mobile technology gather annually to show off their latest products. With Apple skipping MWC as in previous years and Samsung choosing to delay the announcement of its next flagship phone, this year's event offers a better opportunity for their smaller rivals to hog the limelight.

LG G6

Kicking things off at MWC on Sunday, LG announced the G6, its latest flagship smartphone and the successor to the G5. Dominating the front of the new phone is a 5.7-inch LCD display sporting a resolution of 2880x1440 and an 18:9 aspect ratio - making the screen length double the size of its width - with support for Dolby Vision and HDR10 HDR videos.

The unusual screen ratio allows the G6 to display two 1:1 square photos side by side, something LG was eager to promote as a particular benefit for Instagram users. With the phone's bezels taking up minimal space on the front, the power button and fingerprint sensor sit on the back of the phone below the camera, while a virtual home button is located on the main display.

LG also made much of the resilience of the G6 compared to previous phones. The front is protected by Gorilla Glass 3, while the back is encased in Gorilla Glass 5. Elsewhere, the rear dual-lens camera boasts Gorilla Glass 4. The device is also IP68-certified waterproof.

Other specifications of the LG G6 include a Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 chipset, 4GB RAM and a 3300 mAh battery. The front camera has a 5-megapixel sensor and a 100-degree field of view, while the dual cameras at the back pack 13 megapixels each. No announcement was made regarding pricing or the release date of the handset. 

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: MWC 2017: Huawei and LG Unveil New Phones and Smartwatches

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Seems large. None of their models could reach the top 1/3rd without repositioning their hands. #iPhone8SE

The Watch 2 Classic looks nice. I have a Gear S3 that feels good, but it would do them well to team up with Samsung to make their devices work together. I'd own more than one smartwatch if it was feasable to use these accessories like any other accessory. I have more than one type of bluetooth speaker/headset and I rarely have issues pairing between the two, and yet my fitbit and S3 can't sync steps into one unified app. None of these devices, including the apple watch, are stand alone platforms. The S3 can install apps and make and receive call/text via LTE, but no one makes apps that doesn't depend upon the phone. So it is really powerful accessory. But if the platform was unified I could take their features seriously and wear them like actual watches.

What I am doing -> what I wear -> which belt matches -> watch I wear.

Last edited:
Reactions: S G

niploteksi

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2016
Apple need to being their design a game this year, good god that's a gorgeous phone with no real compromise.

Hopefully it works as well as it looks.

It does look really nice, doesn't it? I won't be buying it but the design is nice.

bartvk

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2016
The Netherlands
What I find interesting, is that the LG G6 says it's supporting QuickCharge 3.0, which probably means it's plain old micro-USB. The Huawei phones on the other hand do have USB-C.

Reactions: monkeybear0145

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Kansas City
Nice phone. But it still runs Android... [Dont get me wrong, Android itself is ok, but getting stuck on old versions is really annoying and a security risk that I'm not prepared to take - for my daily driver.]
Android as a mobile OS is far more than 'ok.' At this point, it is superior to iOS. The iOS benefit relies heavily on Apple's cross platform connections between tvOS, watchOS, iOS and macOS.

The 'getting stuck on old versions' complaint isn't an Android complaint, it is a manufacturer complaint. Provide support for your products, manufacturers! It is the main reason I wish all the Android 'skins' went away and everyone used stock Android.

Chidi

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2014
California
Looks great, but watching those users tap the camera button makes it look like it would awkward to use. Starting to see the benefits of larger bezels. On the other hand, they could reposition the buttons and push them a little higher.

Reactions: jamescobalt

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
The LG G6 is a nice phone and will do well for them as a minor player in the smartphone market.

The real competition will be the Samsung S8 series.
Or the 'Samsung X'. Remember Samsung tend to copy both product and marketingwise whatever rumours speculate about Apple before iPhone launch. I'm sure even the product reference name.

seanmcbay

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009
Huawei seems like they make decent stuff but I wish they'd try something original and not be such blatant iPhone ripoffs.

Reactions: fourthtunz

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Decent looking phone, but the presentation is too busy.

While Apple rolls out only one to three new features, this LG is so feature ridden, it's difficult to focus or remember what they were.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
The LG G6 is a nice phone and will do well for them as a minor player in the smartphone market.

The real competition will be the Samsung S8 series.

the LG G6 is a vary small upgrade from the G5 so if you own a G5 i say its not even worth the upgrade

how ever i think the samsung S8 will be the winner this year

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.