LG Said to Supply Apple With Foldable Displays for Future iPhones

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 16, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

LG's display division is developing and will start mass-producing foldable displays for smartphones in 2018, and supply them to Apple, Google, and Microsoft, according to South Korean website ETNews.

LG has shown off various futuristic-looking curved and foldable display prototypes over the past three years, including one with a book-like design and another that can be rolled up like a newspaper. Both designs take advantage of the flexible property of OLED displays, compared to rigid LCD displays in current iPhones.

[​IMG]
    LG foldable display prototype shown at CES 2013

Multiple rumors point towards Apple releasing a new iPhone with an OLED display and glass casing at the high end of its smartphone lineup next year, but the reports suggest the display will be curved rather than foldable. With more than ten iPhone prototypes in testing, however, the exact design remains to be seen.

The all-new premium model is expected to have at least a 5-inch display, with early rumors claiming it could be up to a 5.8-inch device. Samsung is expected to be the primary--and possibly sole--supplier of OLED displays for Apple, at least until LG joins the mix in 2018 or later if today's report proves to be accurate.

[​IMG]
    LG curved display prototype

Next year's iPhones could have bezel-free designs and no physical Home buttons, as some reports claim Touch ID will be integrated directly into the display as now possible. Apple has filed patents for flexible OLED displays with both curved and foldable designs, confirming it has at least explored both sides of the coin.

Apple's foldable display patent describes how the display could fold outward, allowing both halves of the screen to remain accessible when the phone is closed shut. The two sides would connect via a clamshell-like hinge that allows them to rotate relative to each other, while flexible printed circuit boards keep the connection intact.

Article Link: LG Said to Supply Apple With Foldable Displays for Future iPhones

2. macsplusmacs macrumors 6502

3. AndyDiamond macrumors 6502

AndyDiamond

4. ocnitsa macrumors 6502

ocnitsa

I'll be ready to buy the new MBP when this technology makes its way to the Touchbar.

5. jscooper22 macrumors regular

jscooper22

Not iPhones, iPads. The touchbar and larger touchpad is the beginning of this, I think. The MB/MBP line will eventually be more-or-less clamshelled iPads than can open up to a giant touchscreen or folded partway for a virtual KB/trackpad.

6. elev8d macrumors 6502

I can never trust these early speculations. My guess is next year the iPhone 8, or whatever they call it, looks more or less the same and it still has the big top and bottom bezel for the home button. I just don't see them going all screen as great as that would be.

7. furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

Ohhh. Thinner. Just a screen. No battery. Bring your own AC. No thanks.

8. slimothy Suspended

slimothy

That actually might be cool, now make bendable batteries. Lol.

9. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

Waiting for the return of the bendgate trolls...

10. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

You don't necessarily need the batteries to be bendable. Just have several smaller batteries spread around the device.

11. ILuvEggplant Suspended

ILuvEggplant

Well Tim Cook will most likely be dead by the time this rolls around. Any suggestions who will succeed him?

12. meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

People have been talking about these for decades.
    Would be nice to finally see them appear in useful ways.

13. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

This seems like it would be very cool for something like a tablet or the Nintendo Switch (although the Nintendo Switch is far too along - no way something like this will be included). You could have something with a big screen, but you can fold it in half (or thirds or fourths) so that it fits in your pocket.

Gives you an actual reason to make things slimmer. Slim it down until you can fold it on itself several times and it fits comfortably in your pocket.

Alternatively, fold it so that you give the rest of the screen some shade from the sun.

14. meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

Scott Forstall

15. StevieD100 macrumors 6502a

StevieD100

How about a 'windup phone'?
    Then you won't have to worry about battery life.

16. kahkityoong macrumors 6502

kahkityoong

I think Apple's most recent products have been flaccid enough already.

17. meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

Especially with these amazing replacements of the Apple Cinema Display you mean?

18. syan48306, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016

syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

That Westworld foldable iPhone Tablet is going to be a reality in the next couple years! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

Craig Federighi

20. Desert-Mac macrumors newbie

I wouldn't want a foldable iPhone, but a foldable iPad would be dope. make the outer shell strong enough and you wouldn't need a case for it. You could probably add some really awesome features to the iPad pro and make it closer to a "pro" product.

21. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

Sure but why wouldn't you want a iPhone Pro that can double up as a tablet when flipped open :D

22. Gorms macrumors 6502

Gorms

Cool your jets MR readers with high hopes for this. The reality is this tech is at least a couple of years off. Our pesky battery requirements will see to that unless there is a foldable lithium battery knocking around that I've never seen.

Even then, what happens to the SoC, the cellular radios, haptic engine etc?

23. blacktape242 macrumors 68000

blacktape242

24. DoctorTech macrumors 6502

DoctorTech

I hope you are right, that would be a pretty cool feature

25. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

This isn't going to happen any time soon. We first need bendable boards and batteries, as well as chips that are super tiny and/or flexible. There are just too many rigid components that would need to be replaced for it to be feasible right now. The biggest possibility I see is something that folds along a tight crease with flexible ribbon cables running through connecting the different panels. What I've envisioned for years is basically what someone posted above from Westworld but without the crappy, overly sci-fi, hollywood styled, unusable GUI.