LG Ultrafine 5K Display???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SaratogaLefty, Dec 12, 2016.

1. SaratogaLefty macrumors newbie

Apparently people were able to order this display for a couple of hours on Monday, November 28th. Then for some reason Apple changed the website to say "Currently Unavailable" and "Available December". It also shows a discounted price of $974 (25% discount) and indicates the discount is only available until 12/31/16. I have gone over to the Apple Store multiple times and called customer service and nobody is able to give me any answers to the following questions:
    1. Why was it changed to "Unavailable" after only a couple of hours?
    2. When will be able to order it?
    3. Will we still be able to get the discounted pricing?
    4. Why can't anyone give any information?
    Since I have seen an actual "Unboxing" of the display, it obviously exists, so what is the problem???

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. AppleSmack macrumors regular

It always said available December, though was on sale for a moment at the end of November.

When I called Apple business sales today, they said to expect the 5k in February.

The big question is whether Apple will let us buy it in December, and if not whether they'll extend the offer period. If it's neither of those, then it's typical Apple marketing guff, a gesture of a non existent offer.

3. SaratogaLefty thread starter macrumors newbie

So you actually go ahold of someone who could give you an answer? Did you ask them if the discounted price will be extended? Assuming they won't ship until February, will we be able to order them this year at the discounted price? Did they give any information regarding why the delay in letting us order??

4. AppleSmack macrumors regular

I asked if I could order now and lock in the December price. Yes, no problem, they said.

Then when they sent the quote through for confirmation, they added that the 5k is actually unavailable and therefore removed from my quote.

I imagine the sales person 'mis-spoke'.

I'll ask more questions when we next speak, but wouldn't expect a useful reply – I bet even Apple salespeople are given limited information.

Any input from other folks here trying to get the 5k would be really appreciated… between us, we might be able to build a picture of what's really happening with the 5k.

5. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

To me it seems much ado about nothing with the UltraFine 5K. It was always slated for a December availability, so there is still plenty of time. The fact select reviewers have them is a good sign. That the orders went live for a short while was simply a mistake in my opinion. There is no doubt in my mind that they will go on sale before the year is out.

The 4K version, slated for November availability, didn't start shipping until a week or two into November, so it was unlikely December was ever going to mean December 1st.

6. jimthing, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016

jimthing macrumors 6502a

jimthing

Except the LG press release states "...the LG 27-inch UltraFine 5K model will be available in early December starting in the United States."
    http://www.lgnewsroom.com/2016/10/l...designed-for-the-ultimate-mac-user-experience

Two points of interest:
    1) early December, soon it'll be late December.
    2) starting in the US, but advertised on many Apple sites as available December.

One can only presume dates have slipped a bit and they actually mean more than the US.
    ...erm, or something, lol!

7. shareef777 macrumors 68000

shareef777

Apple went all TB3 and then offered zero TB3 devices before the return period. So pathetic.

8. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Their wording doesn't seem especially precise - another version of the press release reads "The 27-inch LG UltraFine 5K model (left) will be available in early December and the 21.5-inch LG UltraFine 4K model (right) will be available starting in November at Apple Stores in the United States." - note the 4K has been in Apple Stores outside the US for a while and that wasn't mentioned.

9. jimthing macrumors 6502a

jimthing

Funnily enough, I just found a UK site pre-selling them:
    https://www.alza.co.uk/27-lg-ultrafine-5k-d4593232.htm

However they have release date as "Expected March 2016" bizarrely(?!) and they change the price by a few quid upwards when you add it to your basket??
    Looks like a bs website if you ask me.

10. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

If Apple doesn't offer the discounted price for some time after the display becomes available, I suspect they'll have a public relations issue on their hands.

The other issues is that, even though Apple likely doesn't have control over LG's display, the absence of the 5K monitor and the absence of the AirPods and Beats X earphones is causing me a bit of concern. When Apple was a small company, they had no trouble delivering products seemingly on time. Now that they're huge, and have every resource available to them, they seem to stumble frequently.

11. jimthing macrumors 6502a

jimthing

Sure, but obviously the logistics are massive when you become the size they are now. Things grow exponentially more complex when you're dealing with millions of units across hundreds of SKUs and dealing with multiple third-party suppliers and companies.

This is certainly not unexpected for such large companies, but is annoying for customers, when we're given dates on adverts directly on the Apple sales sites that don't then appear.

12. shareef777 macrumors 68000

shareef777

Exactly, Apple is becoming the Microsoft of the 90s. Throwing way too much crap out there and trying to figure out what sticks. I'm going back to my 2012 rMBP and returning my 2016. If my 2012 dies before they get their act together I'll have no issues switching to a Lenovo running Linux.

13. idyll macrumors 6502

I am fairly disappointed by this. I was looking to purchase it with the promotional pricing, but the display has not been available for me to do so. :(

I am worried it will be back in stock once the promotional pricing period is over and I'll end up paying full price.

14. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

15. SaratogaLefty thread starter macrumors newbie

When did you place this order? Site still shows "Unavailable". Please advise.

16. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

It does seem that they've deviated from their norm. They announce products way in advance now, whereas before you could buy them very close to the announcement date.
    Seems like everything they've announced lately has been delayed. Agree that thunderbolt 3 is a big transition and yet they don't have any peripherals available.
    But the iPhone, those launches have been relatively smooth. I think there is truth to the fact that the iPhone = Apple now. Shouldn't be surprising that they put all of their energy into those launches. That said I don't know why they just can't hire more people. They, of all companies, could afford it. I also don't get why they won't develop their own displays anymore.

17. azntaiji macrumors member

I'm gonna wait till CES and see what new fancy USB-C monitors get announced

18. Michael Scrip macrumors 601

Good idea.

Hopefully there will be plenty of good monitors that will not only use the USB-C port for display input... but will also provide power to the laptop.

I've already seen some monitors that don't provide power. Must be a cost-cutting measure.

19. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

Ordered Nov 28, if you must know.

$974+tax. Not too bad of a deal!

20. SaratogaLefty thread starter macrumors newbie

So I just had a "chat" with an LG Representative. I used the LG model 38UC99 as an entree to conduct the discussion but it will cost $500 more for less resolution albeit with a much larger screen. Here is a transcript of our conversation:

Duane: Hello SaratogaLefty. Welcome to LG Electronics U.S.A. Support only. How may I provide you with excellent service today?
    SaratogaLefty: I'd like to know how the 38UC99-W monitor compares with the 27MD5KA-B.AUSA LG Apple Monitor? Can you tell me why the LG Apple monitor (27MD5KA-B.AUSA ) is not available for order yet from Apple? I'm wondering if the 38UC99-W is a good substitute for the Apple/LG Monitor? Will the 38UC99-W provide enough charging power (85 watts) for the new MacBook Pro Laptops?
    Duane: yes as the 27 md5ka will be released by apple on either within the 2nd week or the next week after that
    SaratogaLefty: I'm not sure what date you are referring to by the "2nd week or the next week after that"? Will I be able to order before 12/31 when the Apple 25% discount expires?
    Duane: I apologize but the only information we have was that it was to be released by Apple on December and have estimated that is should be available around the 2nd or 3rd week of December
    SaratogaLefty: So we are already in the second week of December. Are you saying this week or next week latest?
    Duane: yes that is correct. for the charging capabilities it was around capable of 85 watts enough to charge the mac
    SaratogaLefty: Okay great! Now is the 38UC99-W a good alternative for the new MacBook Pro or should I stick with the 27MD5KA-B.AUSA?
    Duane: but hold on I m double checking that
    Duane: yes as the 38" screen makes up for the loss of resolution as the 38uc99 is WQHD monitor in which has a resolution nearby or almost 4k at 3840x1600
    Duane: and the only difference with the 27md5ka is the 5k resolution
    Duane: on our recommendation
    Duane: it's either the 27ud88 with usb type as well or the 38uc99 as the best possible substiturte
    SaratogaLefty: But the Apple/LG also has Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C; I don't think the 38UC99 has those capabilities, correct? Sounds like the 27UD88 is a better fit for the MacBook Pro overall, agreed?
    Duane: the 38uc99 has a usb type c port that will work with Thunderbolt 3.0 as well
    SaratogaLefty: Okay, thank you very much for your help. I will wait another week to see what happens. Do you have any idea why the holdup by Apple?

He didn't know why Apple is holding up accepting orders. He said LG is ready to ship. Hopefully we will see the site open up sometime this week or next.

21. Peptide macrumors member

A bit off topic, but are these monitors also eligible for the Jan. 8th return holiday return policy?

22. scott_donald macrumors member

good news... i get to play with my new laptop Friday after owning it for 3 weeks, have all the new wires, enclosures ready to go and all i need is 2 of the 5k monitors... i bet we don't get them till January though at the earliest...

23. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

my plan was to get dual 5k monitors as well for my mbp

24. glindon macrumors regular

glindon

I'd agree with you but a 5k monitor for a $1000 is pretty niche. I'd be surprised if they sell 5 for every 100 MacBook pros.

25. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

sorry but any customer reps are clueless. don't hold your breath on anything they tell you. this has happened so many times with so many brands.