Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
So in the end of the day, it's really now worth to buy this monitor right? Might as well wait for other 5k variants from other brands.

Is that the general consensus?

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
So in the end of the day, it's really now worth to buy this monitor right? Might as well wait for other 5k variants from other brands.

I ended up buying one after the recall so I should get one with the shielding fixed.

I don't think there will be single cable 5K solution anytime soon.

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Many thanks for coming back.

Oh you mean Apple Business Store online – i.e. Apple themselves, not a third party reseller?

1) Yeah, the shielding is the issue. Did you have on/off flicking (within the first 10 mins of connecting, b4 it settles down) on the first/second one?
2) Per Q1, I wonder if Jan builds are shielded, given LG said models "from March" would be? Though how can you tell if it has or not exactly, is anyone's guess??

Thanks again.

Yes, Apple Business Store, though over the phone, not online. One downside though, is that buying this way means you can't walk in and out of a retail store to exchange products, it all has to be done via couriers.

1) no flickering at all. I followed advice elsewhere on this forum that said to plug/unplug the USB-C repeatedly at both ends. I did this as soon as I received it, so don't know if it would have flickered in the first place.
2) put the router right behind the monitor and see what happens? Another post here mentioned using that metallic wrap that comes with the monitor, and taping it to the back as a shield... I haven't had to try that.

Reactions: jimthing

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010

If you need a monitor now, it's worth it. If you can wait, wait and see... But the LG 5k is expected to return to full price after March.

Macintosh IIcx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2014
Denmark
I have my replacement LG 5K monitor for a good week now and it is working great. I don't have the flickering/disconnecting issue with this one so far (knock on wood!), and only once experienced the issue where it wouldn't wake on from sleep. A reboot solved that.

If anybody is a bit annoyed with the color temperature difference between the MBP and the LG screen, then just use the MacOS built-in calibration app and only adjust the color temperature to match on one or both screens. Might not be the perfect solution for the color critical work, but is definitely an instant improvement.

I made the "mistake" of setting it up in near darkness and instantly noticed some light leaking from the corners on a black background, but it looks great in normal daylight, so I'm not sure whether it is actually worse in that regards than my first LG 5K monitor.

So far I'm happy. It is definitely a pleasure to edit and view images on a 5K screen, much more than I would have thought actually. :cool:

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
I have my replacement LG 5K monitor for a good week now and it is working great. I don't have the flickering/disconnecting issue with this one so far (knock on wood!), and only once experienced the issue where it wouldn't wake on from sleep. A reboot solved that.

If anybody is a bit annoyed with the color temperature difference between the MBP and the LG screen, then just use the MacOS built-in calibration app and only adjust the color temperature to match on one or both screens. Might not be the perfect solution for the color critical work, but is definitely an instant improvement.

I made the "mistake" of setting it up in near darkness and instantly noticed some light leaking from the corners on a black background, but it looks great in normal daylight, so I'm not sure whether it is actually worse in that regards than my first LG 5K monitor.

So far I'm happy. It is definitely a pleasure to edit and view images on a 5K screen, much more than I would have thought actually. :cool:
Good to see. But what are the first three digits of the serial &/or production date listed on it?

Macintosh IIcx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2014
Denmark
Another thing I like even more that I originally envisioned; working with both the MBP screen and the LG 5K concurrently. A lot of time I work primarily on the 5K, but needs to write something or do another task and it is really handy to be able to look at the main content on the 5K while doing it.

Sure, the MBP + LG 5K is more expensive than an iMac 5K, but having two screens and a mobile Mac is really ace. :rolleyes:

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
The production date is January 2017, so still the old, wifi flawed version, but whatever at this point.... :oops::rolleyes:
Thanks.

Surely you're going to get the shielding done, as without it the value on re-sell in a few years will be less? (I can see buyers on Ebay in 3 years asking: "Does this have the shielding put in" or "Was this one produced from March 2017 onwards"!)

Macintosh IIcx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2014
Denmark
Thanks.

Surely you're going to get the shielding done, as without it the value on re-sell in a few years will be less? (I can see buyers on Ebay in 3 years asking: "Does this have the shielding put in" or "Was this one produced from March 2017 onwards"!)

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe, if I can do it through Apple as the LG support here in Denmark is less than admirable.:rolleyes: It could mean that I have to be without the screen for several weeks and I'm not sure when I have time for that nonsense. :eek:

Robotpedlr

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
Lake Tapps, WA
The production date is January 2017, so still the old, wifi flawed version, but whatever at this point.... :oops::rolleyes:

I just got my replacement today via Fed Ex. The production date is 612 (which I think means Dec 2016). So it looks like they just added the shielding (hopefully) to the stock they had on hand. I assumed it would be Feb 2017 production, but not the case.

I just hooked it up and will have to see what happens. Hopefully it is good and free of issues. If not, I will be sending it back to Apple (again). For $1k, I expect a quality monitor w/o issues. Hopefully that is what they sent me (on this second unit).

slaWter

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2016
Switzerland
Since the 5K is still not available in Switzerland and the shipping times are improving in Germany, I decided to order two from the German Apple Store. I'm so fed up with the situation for Swiss customers. I have to pay more per screen but at least I know what's going on.

But now I have to get the displays myself by car.
Can someone please post the dimensions (width, length, height) of the box the LG 5K shipped in?
This would help me a lot to judge if I'm able to transport back home them easily or not. Thanks!

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
I just got my replacement today via Fed Ex. The production date is 612 (which I think means Dec 2016). So it looks like they just added the shielding (hopefully) to the stock they had on hand. I assumed it would be Feb 2017 production, but not the case.

I just hooked it up and will have to see what happens. Hopefully it is good and free of issues. If not, I will be sending it back to Apple (again). For $1k, I expect a quality monitor w/o issues. Hopefully that is what they sent me (on this second unit).
Interesting. Mine arrives tomorrow so I'll post when I get it.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
LG 5K shipping dates have been reduced. They're shipping as soon as March 8th in the US.

afallnstar

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
Seattle
Just received one that I ordered on February 9th and the production date is 612, as well. Hopefully there aren't any issues.

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
That's what I did. I had an 27" 5K iMac + 12" MB. When the new MBP came out I picked up a 15" and used it with two LG 5K's at the office and immediately preferred that setup over the iMac, so I got two LG's for home as well. I design and develop apps/websites. Having two screens immediately increased my productivity, I can have one screen with my code and the other with the preview. Additionally, I use the MBP as my primary computer now, which eliminates the need to sync up my computers and since I have the same setup at my office, I just plug in and pick up where I left off. The setup replaces my iMac, but I still have it for personal use. As far as performance, the iMac is faster, but it's not noticeable for the work I do.

lg-5k-dual.jpg

Who makes that desk?

macsforever

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2014
I picked up a couple of 1TB SSDs over the Thanksgiving weekend for < $200 each. The cost of 512GB -> 1TB option is $400. So definitely worth the cost of going external. 2TB storage vs extra 512GB for same money
Let's see some of that content you're creating on that nice screen!!!!!!
Here's on of mine on my new 5K screen... Unknown.png

Reactions: Weaselboy

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2017
5K ordered yesterday afternoon with an anticipated ship date of March 8/9.

Just received notification that the display has shipped and I will receive it tomorrow..I hope it works out as it is a gorgeous display!

Reactions: Weaselboy

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Getting ready for ordered monitors. Will move the Extreme base station that sits between our two rMBPs to the other side of the room. Then we can either use wifi between the Extreme and rMBPs or we can run Cat 6 cables from the Extreme to the back of the monitors and connect via a USB C to Ethernet adapter.

Anyone have any experience or even a guess as to which will provide a faster connection? Wifi adds no cost. Ethernet adds the costs for the cables and adapters. But a wired connection should be faster than wifi. What say ye?

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011

Interesting. Mine arrives tomorrow so I'll post when I get it.

Just received one that I ordered on February 9th and the production date is 612, as well. Hopefully there aren't any issues.

I'd love to know how you tell if they do/don't have the shielding in them? I suppose opening them up it the only solution, (preferably with some pix, so others can see what this shielding looks like).

Anyone have the screen flicking issue? (Most of it happens within the first few minutes of connection.)

It's all so "hidden" on the info coming out from both Apple and LG. Not good.

Last edited:

mrjohn

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2005
5K ordered yesterday afternoon with an anticipated ship date of March 8/9.

Just received notification that the display has shipped and I will receive it tomorrow..I hope it works out as it is a gorgeous display!

Anyone get a 702? I just got mine, 701 :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.