Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Anyone get a 702? I just got mine, 701 :(
As per my comment above: do you have any screen flicker when first connecting it to your MBP (with/without being near a modem/router)?

If not, you may/may not have shielding in it. Who knows...??

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2017

Display received ~ 612

Display > TB3 / TB2 Adapter > TB2 Cable > mid 2014 rMBP 13"

Wireless Router (Verizon) 4' away, AirPort Extreme in separate building.

Running good at 4K..connection to APx & Router - no problems at all and the display is gorgeous.

Reactions: jimthing

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
I got a 702. I'm in Canada.

No issues with connectivity. I never had issues with flickering so can't confirm a fix on that.

Interestingly the temperature of this one is way warmer than my old one. So far I've had three of these. First one was super warm, next was cold and closer to my MacBook screen. This one is new production and back to warm colours.

I feel bad for those who don't know that their screen's temperature is off and don't know how to fix it.

Last edited:

mrpezz

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2017
I just received my 5k today 3/2. I ordered it on 2/27 and was hoping to have no issues. Screen is perfect no wifi interference so far. BUT when I plug in the USB-C it introduces significant NOISE when using the audio jack on the Macbook pro 2016 touch bar. So basically its useless for plugging in external speakers. If I unplug the usb-c cable connected to the macbook from the monitor there is no noise present. Since the usb-c is meant to charge the macbook this is a pain.

Adding requested Info: Model S/N has 702, Bottom Right of monitor has a number with (REV02) on it. Location Seattle, WA

Last edited:

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
I just received my 5k today 3/2. I ordered it on 2/27 and was hoping to have no issues. Screen is perfect no wifi interference so far. BUT when I plug in the USB-C it introduces significant NOISE when using the audio jack on the Macbook pro 2016 touch bar. So basically its useless for plugging in external speakers. If I unplug the usb-c cable connected to the macbook from the monitor there is no noise present. Since the usb-c is meant to charge the macbook this is a pain.
Manufactured on date... (and your LOCATION)? (this is basically the issue we need to know about on this thread, currently.)

Try plugging-in the display on the other side of the MBP.
[doublepost=1488563075][/doublepost]NOTICE: My second set of two displays ordered on 14 Feb 2017, are due for delivery 6 Mar 2017 (Monday).

Is anyone else who ordered in mid-late Feb in UK/EU getting their's soon...?

Last edited:

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2017
FYI - I am in Maryland, just south of DC. All items ordered online through the Apple Store are shipped from Pennsylvania to my location which = standard UPS & Fed Ex shipping is overnight. I am fortunate to have that convenience.

I have mounted the display on a Loctek arm which makes for a very nice setup inclusive of portrait mode.

Have had no problems whatsoever with the display driven with a mid '14 rMBP at 4K. I am using an Apple branded cable and adapter, fwiw. The additional sixty-five bucks was an annoying purchase but frankly, the cost has already been forgotten..this is one very nice display!

As stated in my previous post..mine was manufactured in December. The box seal, while fully intact, did appear to have been a replacement. I see no evidence of assembly/disassembly on the unit.

Functionality of the brightness control between the MB, a wireless keyboard, & the display still has a slight delay but, whatever..it works.

The speaker problem that some have complained about still persists.. it's a non issue to me and frankly the speakers are quite good - even to my old ears punished by Megadeth at full blast through earphones over the years.

Considering that I am driving the display with a non native USB-C MacBook I do not get the benefit of charging through the primary connection but that's okay, I don't lose sleep.

This is a wonderful display folks and there is quite a bit of value built into it along with very good manufacturing quality.

I'll wish myself continued, trouble free functionality and I'll extend that same sentiment to all that are awaiting the arrival of their display..I doubt you'll be dissapointed.

Last edited:

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
Anyone try the Nintendo switch on one of these?

It wouldn't work. This is a TB3 device. It'd only work with TB3 devices (which the switch isn't). Additionally, considering the lack of buttons, I'd guess it'd only work with a Mac which has the software to adjust settings.

Robotpedlr

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
Lake Tapps, WA

Interestingly the temperature of this one is way warmer than my old one. So far I've had three of these. First one was super warm, next was cold and closer to my MacBook screen. This one is new production and back to warm colours.

I feel bad for those who don't know that their screen's temperature is off and don't know how to fix it.

I noticed that my replacement also sports a warmer color temperature. When you refer to fixing the temp...are you just using the calibration option in settings and manually adjusting? Want to make sure I am not missing something.

steve77uk

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
UK
I have one which is Dec/16 and had a second which was Jan/17 which Jan/17 went back as too warm compared to brilliant white of Dec/16. I now have a replacement of Feb/17 which arrived today.. No doubt then from reading the above this is warm also... anyway to fix?

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011

No issues with connectivity. I never had issues with flickering so can't confirm a fix on that.

How did you actually fix the colour issue, out of interest?

Snap on the manufacture date: My second set of two arrived this morning (Mon 06 Mar) and they have "702" serials (I haven't opened them yet, as am too busy).

Robotpedlr

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
Lake Tapps, WA
How did you actually fix the colour issue, out of interest?

Run a calibration app and it builds an ICC profile for that monitor.

http://xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?id=2388&catid=149&action=overview

http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyder5elite

Ok, should have asked how to do you fix color issue w/o spending $300 on software.

After a week with my new 612 replacement, I dont see any interference issues, but still have some sleep and wake issues. Doesnt seem to want to stay asleep when plugged into the monitor and sometimes I have to unplug the monitor cable to wake the monitor (after the mac wakes).

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
I just got a 4k and the screen is pushing red a bit so it has a warm natural white point. I suspect they are just all over the place with the natural white point like most all monitors. So all I have to do now is pony up another 100 bucks for a Spyder 5 thanks LG

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Ok, should have asked how to do you fix color issue w/o spending $300 on software.

If you really need accurate colour you need to calibrate, no matter what brand of monitor you have - it's just a fact of life, I'm afraid. Some are closer to D65 or whatever & are more consistent unit to unit out of the box (generally the more expensive ones) but they all need doing for colour-critical work. I agree that it would be better if the LGs were more consistent though, they're not cheap!

steve77uk

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
UK
I just got a 4k and the screen is pushing red a bit so it has a warm natural white point. I suspect they are just all over the place with the natural white point like most all monitors. So all I have to do now is pony up another 100 bucks for a Spyder 5 thanks LG

My first original was Dec 12 which I thought was spot on being brilliant white, clean crisp - decided to keep it as not experienced any issues with screen or hardware. The second was Jan 17 which I returned as looked too warm. Kept first still. Third which is Feb 17 arrived yesterday as noted above. Still a bit warm when looking side by side to first but not as bad as second so purchased Spyder Pro 5 on Amazon Prime which came within 1 hour.

That evening I calibrated it and it surprisingly required me to turn brightness down to 180 using calibration device which looks around 75% of default Apple Brightness scale (if not a little less) (I always max mine out to full brightness) and the difference in tone and colours were considerable to the point that when I did the same on my original "perfect" Dec 16. I was shocked at the difference when it gives you the ability to switch between calibrated and non-calibrated modes (quite reassuring actually - I just didn't like the white point originally but could see the difference in colour too now). Now, both side by side are now indistinguishable and perfect. Very happy indeed.

Not tested for interference. I have an Extreme in the room perhaps a metre away but not found any issues thus far since upgrading OS to 10.2.3 (if that is the latest) on my MBP r2016 15". If there is a problem later on, I'll just call Apple or LG.

I think you need to calibrate regardless, but it is in the eye of the beholder. If I didn't read forums like these and Apple News sites, I would no doubt be non the wiser I guess!!

It does hurt to buy a calibration device, but guess these things are obviously mass produced they will never be spot on for everyone. Just need to calibrate my MBP now...

BTW, I did not notice any opening of this Feb 17 box, even the silver monitor 'bubble wrap' looked original so have absolutely no idea if it has had sheilding done or not. It could be a case that they fixed this earlier than we got to know about it. I doubt Apple only just seriously looked into it in February when the news sites started reporting about it, so my view is don't get too hung up on the serial numbers. My Dec 16 one is fine...

My view FWIW, hope it helps...

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
Anyone recently having delayed connectivity issues? macOS now seems to take 45-60sec to recognize that the LG 5K is plugged in or unplugged.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I got my LG 5K today. The serial starts with 612.

I was able to cause the monitor to lose a connection by putting my router up against it. It didn't lose a connection with a router nearby though, so it seems like the shielding is working, but it's not bullet proof. Not sure if it'd be worth it to do an exchange.

Other than that the monitor is simply stunning. I've been wanting a 1 cable external monitor setup since Thunderbolt 1 and it being a 10bit 5K display makes this setup even better. I was always envious of the iMac's 5K display and now I can experience it in a standalone monitor.

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
I got my LG 5K today. The serial starts with 612.

I was able to cause the monitor to lose a connection by putting my router up against it. It didn't lose a connection with a router nearby though, so it seems like the shielding is working, but it's not bullet proof. Not sure if it'd be worth it to do an exchange.

Other than that the monitor is simply stunning. I've been wanting a 1 cable external monitor setup since Thunderbolt 1 and it being a 10bit 5K display makes this setup even better. I was always envious of the iMac's 5K display and now I can experience it in a standalone monitor.

Can I ask which channel you bought your display through? Was it direct from Apple or from some other source? I ask because I've just received my dispatch notification on 2 replacement displays which I'm hoping will be 702 or 703 serial numbers to replace the two 701 displays which I already have. I sincerely hope that there are not still older displays being shipped. Thanks.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Can I ask which channel you bought your display through? Was it direct from Apple or from some other source? I ask because I've just received my dispatch notification on 2 replacement displays which I'm hoping will be 702 or 703 serial numbers to replace the two 701 displays which I already have. I sincerely hope that there are not still older displays being shipped. Thanks.

Ordered from Apple.com

I ordered after the recall so it should have he shielding.

If someone could test their replacements that would be great.

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
Ordered from Apple.com

I ordered after the recall so it should have he shielding.

If someone could test their replacements that would be great.

Hmm, I was told by an LG support person that only serial numbers 702 and onwards would have the extra shielding. In fact they said to wait for 703 to be sure which suggested maybe not all of February was revised.

I would hope they are not taking returned units and then revising the shielding before selling them as if they were new. I guess it's possible there may have been unsold inventory which was revised at the factory before being sold but I'm pretty sure there are laws against selling the same product twice as if it was new.

Anyway, I should have my new units here tomorrow and will be inspecting them very carefully for any signs of previous use or cosmetic damage. Most importantly I should know pretty quickly if they are suffering from WiFi interference.

I really hope these are 703 or 702 units...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.