Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
Is that on delivery or just cracked by impact? Is the lens cover not sapphire?
I really couldn't tell you. I never dropped it as far as I could remember. From reports they didn't cover the back with sapphire, instead opting for the much more rugged champagne flutes glass

Really flawed design imo.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I dropped my naked V20 today ..... Glad to say it faired well. No damage except for a nasty dent on the bottom right corner. It hit the concrete from about 6 feet and bounced around. The back also came off. It's currently on JOD, so I hope T-mobile doesn't say nothing about it when I trade it in.

IMG_0192.jpg

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
I dropped my naked V20 today ..... Glad to say it faired well. No damage except for a nasty dent on the bottom right corner. It hit the concrete from about 6 feet and bounced around. The back also came off. It's currently on JOD, so I hope T-mobile doesn't say nothing about it when I trade it in.

View attachment 678240

I am the guy with the cracked v20. I very carefully removed the glass back, and cleaned it with goof off, and alcohol. I took it down to T-Mobile, and uneventfully swapped it for a 7+. The clerk totally noticed but he signed off on the phone being in working condition. They don't care.

Hopefully you will get a cool clerk.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC and MRU

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
Very unfortunate.

I don't understand how LG didn't notice this during QC.

It's happening to a lot of people to.

Yeah. It's a wonder that no one questioned having the camera being covered by such a expanse of glass. Also the way it fits in there so it will absorb all the impact is not the brightest design.

In my case it really looks like something must have hit it unbeknownst to me. Could have theoretically happened on any phone. Hoping the much smaller sapphire covered protrusion on the 7+ fairs better.

Over on the v20 subreddit there are already 5-10 cases. All stating that they didn't recall dropping it hard.

I never even mentioned all the lag, and performance flaws I was having. I had gotten to the point I rebooted it twice a day, and games like traffic rider were pretty unplayable.

At this point my advice is to steer far clear of this phone.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Yeah. It's a wonder that no one questioned having the camera being covered by such a expanse of glass. Also the way it fits in there so it will absorb all the impact is not the brightest design.

In my case it really looks like something must have hit it unbeknownst to me. Could have theoretically happened on any phone. Hoping the much smaller sapphire covered protrusion on the 7+ fairs better.

Over on the v20 subreddit there are already 5-10 cases. All stating that they didn't recall dropping it hard.

I never even mentioned all the lag, and performance flaws I was having. I had gotten to the point I rebooted it twice a day, and games like traffic rider were pretty unplayable.

At this point my advice is to steer far clear of this phone.
Most of the reports I have read had the camera bump exposed, and had set the phone down flat on a hard surface. My case is slightly thicker than the camera bump so I am not worried. Under the right conditions it will crack. But in your case something clearly impacted it. I understand you are upset but things happen to any phone to a certain percentage of owners.

I have no noticeable lag on mine, though I hear that about every Android phone with which I have had no problem. Compared to my iPhone 6S+ I really like the better recognition of OK Google. I had no issue with Siri recognizing me--much better success than most I would say. But Google Assistant is better, and my phone doesn't have to have the front unobstructed. Many a time I futilely tried to set a reminder only to find my iPhone lying face down. Ugh. I can set a reminder with the phone in my pocket while driving.

I also am really liking using OK Google to unlock (and no one I had try it could unlock it that way; only me). Just this morning I was rushed trying to finish making something for my wife's work party and needed to look at the cooking time with my hands a mess. I was able to just say OK Google open Chrome and it unlocked and opened chrome right where I had left it.

This is one of the most interesting phones I have gotten in a long time. I got it on AT&T's half price promo so pretty good deal. I didn't even realize when I bought it that it had a micro-sd slot. For buying the V20 I got the new LG Sport watch for $49. Right now I like the phone more than the watch, but I'll give it some more time.

Mike

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
I own both an s7 edge and V20. Love both of them. One is work and one is personal. I had a Note 7 before the V20, and the V20 is a great phone to compliment me missing my Note. It wokrs great and never had any issues. I have a case to protect the camera, so I am not worried about the glass happening. But there are many that do not have any issues with that glass breaking. I doubt it's as big as people make it.

Reactions: MRU

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
I own both an s7 edge and V20. Love both of them. One is work and one is personal. I had a Note 7 before the V20, and the V20 is a great phone to compliment me missing my Note. It wokrs great and never had any issues. I have a case to protect the camera, so I am not worried about the glass happening. But there are many that do not have any issues with that glass breaking. I doubt it's as big as people make it.

Thought I update this. I am now ditching my V20 to find a RED iPhone 7 plus 128gb. The V20 is still a great phone, but the battery life is pretty bad. I am tired of having to plug it in half way through the day when my IP7+ I had would still have 70% at the end of the day.

Reactions: MRU

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
I picked up one of these for cheap, mainly for the quad DAC system. My planar magnetics are loving it!

I owned the V10 but it had many issues, the V20 is much better. It's a shame LG has a bad reputation (boot loops) and hardly advertises their V phones.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I picked up one of these for cheap, mainly for the quad DAC system. My planar magnetics are loving it!

I owned the V10 but it had many issues, the V20 is much better. It's a shame LG has a bad reputation (boot loops) and hardly advertises their V phones.

I still have a v10, music sounds great via Tidal.

Which planar headphones do you have? The v10 drives my dt 770s fine but I never tried with any planers. I returned Audeze to Apple long ago, not worth the money to me personally.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
I still have a v10, music sounds great via Tidal.

Which planar headphones do you have? The v10 drives my dt 770s fine but I never tried with any planers. I returned Audeze to Apple long ago, not worth the money to me personally.
Fostex T40RP mkIII (3rd generation), a budget friendly headphone. It's my first pair of planars and more $$ than I usually spend but I really enjoy the sound coming from them

The V10 was such a tank. I loved the design and materials but I had a lot of artifacts/clipping with bluetooth, which I use while driving, and I couldn't get good battery life.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Fostex T40RP mkIII (3rd generation), a budget friendly headphone. It's my first pair of planars and more $$ than I usually spend but I really enjoy the sound coming from them

The V10 was such a tank. I loved the design and materials but I had a lot of artifacts/clipping with bluetooth, which I use while driving, and I couldn't get good battery life.

Thanks, I will look into those. My bargain headphones are the Sennheiser HD558, phenomal soundstage.

Enjoy the v20, I am certain it will serve you well.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS

I absolutely loved my V20, except for the battery life.. Paired great with my Senn HD650

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I absolutely loved my V20, except for the battery life.. Paired great with my Senn HD650

I am turning this into an audio thread BUT the v20 is equipped for good sound. :)

You could power the HD650s with the v20 without an external amp?

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I am turning this into an audio thread BUT the v20 is equipped for good sound. :)

You could power the HD650s with the v20 without an external amp?

Absolutely, without any issues! The V20 detects a high impedence device and adjusts it output accordingly. That built in DAC is killer!

I would've bought the LG G6 (US) IF it came with that HiFi DAC ..

Eagerly waiting for the V30!

Reactions: AppleRobert

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Absolutely, without any issues! The V20 detects a high impedence device and adjusts it output accordingly. That built in DAC is killer!

I would've bought the LG G6 (US) IF it came with that HiFi DAC ..

Eagerly waiting for the V30!

Well I picked up the HD650 in NYC yesterday. Surprised how many smartphones that I have can drive them considering they are 300 ohms. Some more efficient than others but still pretty decently with most.

It will be fun listening to music all over again.

The Axon 7 mini is suppose to have the same dac as the Axon 7. Wondering how they compare to LG v10 and v20. For $200 maybe I will have try it.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
Does your planars initiate the high impedence mode on your v20? I think they are rated 50 ohms which should do it.
They do, I'm using them right now! Even though the Fostex are rated 50 ohm, they still require a lot to drive. The S8 can get it to barely listening levels while the V20 does fine at halfway volume.

Apparently there are impedance adapters you can use if you want to trigger high impedance mode all the time. There's a V20 thread in the Head-Fi forums and some swear it sounds better when in high impedance mode.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
They do, I'm using them right now! Even though the Fostex are rated 50 ohm, they still require a lot to drive. The S8 can get it to barely listening levels while the V20 does fine at halfway volume.

Apparently there are impedance adapters you can use if you want to trigger high impedance mode all the time. There's a V20 thread in the Head-Fi forums and some swear it sounds better when in high impedance mode.

Thanks for the info.

FWIW, my friend who owns the LG V20 and I went to Guitar Center last night. They had a set of the Fostex 50 mk3 which we knew so we wanted to try them. They did not initiate high impedance device, just normal. He tried rebooting the V20 and toggling the high fi quad on and off but still a no go. The music came in way too soft and uninspiring.

Strange cause the 50s have the same ohms as the 40s which are serving you well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.