Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

LG's UltraFine 4K Display listing appears to have been removed from regional Apple Stores across Europe sometime over the last 48 hours.

lg4kdesign.jpg

The LG monitor was out of stock for quite some time in Europe over the holiday period. Now it no longer shows up in searches of Apple's online stores in the Netherlands, France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom, and several other European countries.

Meanwhile, listings for LG's UltraFine 5K Display still appear in some European stores such as the UK and Italy, but stock is currently unavailable. LG's UltraFine 4K and UltraFine 5K Displays remain in stock and available to order in the United States, however.

This isn't the first time LG's UltraFine Displays have been unavailable to order on Apple's online stores in some parts of the world. However, on previous occasions, the displays were out of stock and eventually replenished, and at no time were the listings removed. That they have been this time round could suggest that one or both are set to be discontinued.

Introduced in May 2019, the UltraFine 4K features a 23.7-inch display with a 3,840 x 2,160 pixels resolution, two Thunderbolt 3 ports, three downstream USB-C ports, up to 500 nits brightness, P3 wide color gamut support, and built-in stereo speakers. The display is priced at $699.95 on Apple's online store in the United States.

The Thunderbolt 3 LG UltraFine 5K Display offers a 5,120 x 2,880 resolution with 14.7 million pixels and P3 wide color gamut, plus built-in stereo speakers, a camera, a microphone, and an adjustable stand at a $1,300 price point.

Apple continues to sell its high-end, 32-inch Pro Display XDR with a 6K resolution for $4,999, and a Bloomberg report last week claimed Apple is working on a lower-priced external monitor that would be sold alongside it. However, that product is said to be in early development and is therefore unlikely to launch anytime soon, making the apparent lack of LG UltraFine Displays harder to gauge.

(Thanks Colin and Alpar!)

Article Link: LG's UltraFine 4K Display No Longer Listed in Apple Stores Across Europe

knassar

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2015
the Cloud
I've heard that they should not be listed again as they are discontinued. Apple replacement soon ? ?
It's funny - I've been checking the UltraFine 4K regularly in the recent weeks, because I had planned on buying it.

The French retailers (Boulanger, Darty, etc.) were all completely out of stock of the monitor, but seem to have restocked yesterday. Maybe they're indeed pushing out the last remaining sets of monitors if they really are discontinued.

Looking forward to new Apple monitors (but not their price :()

Reactions: Robospungo

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
The Swedish store had it as a suggested autocomplete; but neither actually available. Only the Apple displays.

Edit: I can't find it available in any other Swedish online store either; however, I did find two stores that had early February as restock dates.

Reactions: knassar

ph001bi

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
London

LG's UltraFine 4K Display listing appears to have been removed from regional Apple Stores across Europe sometime over the last 48 hours.

lg4kdesign.jpg

The LG monitor was out of stock for quite some time in Europe over the holiday period. Now it no longer shows up in searches of Apple's online stores in the Netherlands, France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom, and several other European countries.

Meanwhile, listings for LG's UltraFine 5K Display still appear in some European stores such as the UK and Italy, but stock is currently unavailable. LG's UltraFine 4K and UltraFine 5K Displays remain in stock and available to order in the United States, however.

This isn't the first time LG's UltraFine Displays have been unavailable to order on Apple's online stores in some parts of the world. However, on previous occasions, the displays were out of stock and eventually replenished, and at no time were the listings removed. That they have been this time round could suggest that one or both are set to be discontinued.

Introduced in May 2019, the UltraFine 4K features a 23.7-inch display with a 3,840 x 2,160 pixels resolution, two Thunderbolt 3 ports, three downstream USB-C ports, up to 500 nits brightness, P3 wide color gamut support, and built-in stereo speakers. The display is priced at $699.95 on Apple's online store in the United States.

The Thunderbolt 3 LG UltraFine 5K Display offers a 5,120 x 2,880 resolution with 14.7 million pixels and P3 wide color gamut, plus built-in stereo speakers, a camera, a microphone, and an adjustable stand at a $1,300 price point.

Apple continues to sell its high-end, 32-inch Pro Display XDR with a 6K resolution for $4,999, and a Bloomberg report last week claimed Apple is working on a lower-priced external monitor that would be sold alongside it. However, that product is said to be in early development and is therefore unlikely to launch anytime soon, making the apparent lack of LG UltraFine Displays harder to gauge.

(Thanks Colin and Alpar!)

Article Link: LG's UltraFine 4K Display No Longer Listed in Apple Stores Across Europe
I have never found them particularly fine and certainly not UltraFine.

KSB

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2005
Didn't LG just showcase the next generation of Ultrafine displays, including a OLED version? Maybe these will replace the ones not listed in Apple Store anymore.

Reactions: jerryk

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
No Monitors listing on the Apple store in Japan.

Looks like something is up. Before we had a false call and a restock, but now it looks like all over Apple-land there is no monitors.

Looks like the rumor may be true!!!

Wordman

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Yeah, Benq and Asus are producing some nice Thunderbolt monitors. Build quality seems better than the LG ones on Apple's site.

I'm a bit thrown by the 'in early development' phrase we're seeing in reports of Apple's alleged monitor plans though. Surely a lot of the design is going to be taken from the forthcoming iMac's build, which they've reportedly been working on for some time (and are rumoured to be launching in March).

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
My guess is new monitors on the way. As part of the iMac redesign there will likely be 2 new panels developed. These new panels will go on to be packaged into standalone monitors.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Noooo i want to buy it but still not ready. Waiting for M1X Macs plus this

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
All they really need to do is take the rumored redesigned iMac, rip the computer out of it and boom, Apple display. A second display for the new iMac that lines up perfectly would be something that Apple has never done. It would also be perfect for the Mac mini, especially if they could keep the price under $1,000.

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
I've had two of the original 21.5" 4K ultrafines since launch and apart from screen burn in they have been amazing. Personally I really like the simplistic styling of them. So many monitors look cheap and tacky with silver, accents and horrible "trendy" stands.

I am still struggling to find something that will give me a really nice improvement on these without spending silly money 3 years later.

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
So, as of now, there isn‘t an affordable, HiDPI display available anymore? I wanted to buy a mini, but without a display thats not going to happen. (27inch is too big for me)
1. THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!
2. If you're lucky maybe one of your local stores still have them in stock; have you tried that?

Reactions: ijbond

Apfelblüte

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
Deutschland
1. THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!
2. If you're lucky maybe one of your local stores still have them in stock; have you tried that?
Haha, I half-expected that....

all stores are closed here, no way to look at displays in person. I might wait for the new iMac or the announced display, but who knows how long until these will be available. (+ what price)

Enclavean

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2018
Please be the same price. Please be the same price. Please be the same price.

I've been saving up to the $699 LG UltraFine 4k for awhile now. I really hope whatever else is released, be it by LG or Apple, that we get a high PPI 4k monitor at this price level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.