LG's UltraFine 5K Display Shielding Fix Successfully Addresses Wi-Fi Interference Issues

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 15, 2017.

1. az431 macrumors regular

I'm guessing you haven't bothered to see and use the display in person. It is a quality product, and the "brow" everyone criticizes looks the same size as any other monitor.

2. NY Guitarist macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

I was surprised the monitor lacked proper shielding but glad to hear this was fixed.

This will run at 5K only on a 2016 MBP, right?

3. az431 macrumors regular

Exactly. When I first saw it in store I didn't think it was the LG 5k. It's a non-issue proliferated by people who have never used or even seen it.

4. Denmac1 macrumors 6502a

Denmac1

I agree. I still have my G5., along with a 20" ACD. Looks wonderful. Apparently Ive (and someone else who should remain nameless) has lost it as far as design going throughout the lineup to compliment the product offering. Steve may have been brutal about perfection, but now it doesn't seem to matter as long as the beans keep pouring in.

5. richinaus macrumors 6502

This is true and I was a hater as much as the other Apple fanatic until I actually saw it.
    Bezels are a non issue - I don't mind them at all and haven't thought about them. They actually frame the screen nicely.

Also I have received positive comments on the 2 most design obsessed people I know [after me.....]. So aesthetics get a tick, screen quality, sounds is good, 0 flicker for me. No complaints at all really.

I do have it sat on a black desk btw and appears to float - looks way better than the thunderbolt display it replaces.

For me, I look at this screen for about 8-9 hours a day, and have no issues whatsoever paying for something that my eyes will appreciate. The clarity of text and graphics / images is superb.

Funny thing is I though the LG display made the TBD look old. Your 20" ACD looks now in comparison [I had the same screen a long time ago now] would positively look ancient.

However, having said all of this, I still would have preferred an aluminium enclosure designed by Apple to sit with all the current Apple products. Despite it being great, it is still not an Apple product.

6. MrX8503 macrumors 65816

That's been my experience and this article fails to address that. It's basically a lottery.

7. v0lume4 macrumors 6502a

v0lume4

Definitely. Do you think the speedy repairs/acknowledgement of the problem have anything to do with the fact that LG -- not Apple -- is manufacturing the display? I say this because Apple has been known to resist acknowledging issues with their products until a while after release. Or in the recent case of the iPhone 6 touch disease -- charging it's customers for repairs, blaming the issue on customers "mishandling" their phones.

I'm not familiar with LG's customer support as I've never had to return a device to them. Maybe somebody else can chime in?

8. ocnitsa macrumors regular

Exactly! Or, cater to a minority of users, build a multi-billion dollar company, and ignore their minority of users.

9. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502

I can't believe this piece of **** or any of you who actually bought this plastic zero thought heap of junk. Just lol
    --- Post Merged, Mar 15, 2017 ---
    Strong cope

This thing is a complete eyesore

10. richinaus macrumors 6502

I got the 701 and is absolutely fine, not the 702. I am also sat very close to the wifi server for a co work space and
    can you describe what isn't an eyesore? I am interested in your interpretation of good design.

I can't find a single computer monitor made right now that looks better to be honest. Please don't point me towards anything that has :

1. big chrome logo
    2. brushed steel / chrome base
    3. chrome surround but reduced bezels
    4. visible buttons

11. cult hero macrumors 6502a

cult hero

Yep. I have one (and am going to get a second before the price change) and it is, without question, the nicest looking panel I have ever used hands down. It's not even just the 5K either. My old LED Cinema Display looks washed out by comparison. And I don't think having a big chin would have been a good design choice. It's plain but nice. And single plug charging data is really awesome.

It's a little quirky and probably once a week I have to unplug it and plug it back in to get my USB accessories working. Okay.

I can think of no shortcomings on this display that have ever had me go, "Man, I really wish I was on a 1440p Thunderbolt Display right now."

I think the biggest issue isn't the monitor but the weak graphics in the 13" MBPs. It's usable but obviously screens running at half the resolution don't gag on animations.

12. WilliamG macrumors 604

Interesting. You're not running the beta OS X? I assume we can't check firmware versions for this monitor can we?

13. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

Nice monitor at a good price but ugly as sin. It's like putting Toyota wheels on a BMW

14. craig1410 macrumors 6502a

craig1410

Beauty is subjective but it seems that many people who actually own this display, like myself, are very happy with the aesthetics in daily use.

I'm sure there are Toyota customers out there who would dislike BMW wheels just the same as the reverse. ;)

15. SeaFox macrumors 68020

SeaFox

16. Royal Gala macrumors member

Royal Gala

I'm genuinely glad that you're enjoying the display. But, with all due respect, you're in denial. From the photo you've posted, I can clearly see that the top bezel is bigger than the rest of the bezel; it really is assymetrical.

I think it's perhaps a matter of seeing what you want to see.

17. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

Of course, I have no doubt that they would :)

18. craig1410 macrumors 6502a

craig1410

Also with due respect, you are in no position to judge whether I am in denial or not.

Like many others, when the display was announced, I was less than impressed with the product aesthetics but needed an external monitor to improve productivity as I sit in front of my computer for 8+ hours a day. I went to an Apple Store to see the display in person and remained unimpressed but decided to order a pair anyway, knowing I had a 14 day return window. I honestly expected I would be returning the displays and even discussed this with the Apple salesperson in the store to confirm that purchases made via the business team were eligible for 14 day return window.

That was just over a month ago and despite swapping my displays due to the interference issue, I can honestly say I am delighted with the aesthetics when viewed in the context of my own home-office surroundings. Product shots, especially those taken in a typical brightly lit, white background tend to highlight the black bezels whereas, in a more typical setting, with ambient lighting and visual breaks behind the displays, the only thing you see in daily use is the image.

And what an image it is!

So, thanks for your psychoanalysis on my "denial" problem, I'll be sure to mention it to my doctor next time I visit. :confused:

We can agree on one thing - I do see what I want to see...a gorgeous display image!

19. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

I think my biggest objection / dislike is the pedestal rather than the display itself. I would definitely try to use it with VESA mount or a similar alternative to hide that ugly base.

20. Royal Gala macrumors member

Royal Gala

You're overreacting. The reason I said that you are in denial is because you described the bezels as "literally invisible". For obvious reasons, that's not true. Perhaps you simply misused the word "literally".

21. craig1410 macrumors 6502a

craig1410

Perhaps you should have said this in your last post instead of telling me I was in denial when you don't even know me...

It should be obvious (as you say yourself "for obvious reasons") to all but the most pedantic what I meant in my post. I'm hardly going to show a photo of something and then seriously state that it is invisible. Perhaps my choice of word should have been "virtually" instead of "literally" if that makes you happier.

Anyway I suggest we let this thread return to the topic at hand. Hopefully by sharing a photo of my setup it might help people decide whether the asymmetric bezels are really an issue for them or not in a more typical, non-whiteroom environment.

22. Royal Gala macrumors member

Royal Gala

Snore. The photo of your setup only serves to provide another photo of the monitor that we've all seen and that we have all been discussing. Its assymetric bezels are plain to see, because that is the design of the monitor. There is no escaping that fact, either invisibly or virtually.

23. sammich, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017

sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I have a 701 with the black circle sticker - haven't had an issue with it, though resale might be affected.

I'm still within my 14-day return window.

To add my possibly worthless commentary on the forehead matter: eh. The only time I'll notice it is when another tech-head points it out to me.

Never mind the iMac's chin. The MacBook Pro's bezel glass stops at the bottom with plastic near the hinge (tMBP). There's functional asymmetry everywhere.

24. Adam Warlock macrumors regular

Adam Warlock

None of the jokers currently running the company started their own multi-billion dollar company; they inherited it.

25. craig1410 macrumors 6502a

craig1410

Indeed they are plain to see - once again we can agree on that. They are asymmetric just like the bezels on the 2016 MBP in fact.

Where we appear to disagree is whether this thread exists to discuss personal experience of the LG display or bicker over irrelevant minutiae. :rolleyes: