LG's UltraFine 5K Display Shielding Fix Successfully Addresses Wi-Fi Interference Issues

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 15, 2017.

1. vincenzoo macrumors newbie

Just got the fixed display and the camera doesn't work. Ideas? I would rather not lug this thing to UPS to ship back.

2. Royal Gala, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017

Royal Gala macrumors regular

Royal Gala

I understand the point that was being made, and I don't agree. I have an issue with the rationale (in bold) that you have put forward, in that it shifts the culpability for a poor design choice from the manufacturers onto people who are not fans of the monitor's design: it's our fault for fixating on the reality of the assymetrical bezels. We are determined to be disgusted. If only we'd just get on with our lives. These are all your words and phrases, not mine, and they aren't exaggerated whatsoever (see the bolded sections of your quoted post).

That is an extremely shoddy way of excusing LG's design decisions. It's not remotely the fault of the user.

3. Macist macrumors 6502a

If they can 'partner' with LG on this I'm sure LG can throw together a generic black box with a couple of up-to-date Xeons in it to be the new pro desktop.

4. smirking macrumors 6502a

Fair enough. People have differing criteria for evaluating whether they like something or not. You appear to have an honest disagreement with the composition of this product. Most of the people complaining aren't quite so principled so please excuse the lack of patience from those of us who are getting tired of hearing about the bezel from people who've only looked at the photos.

Quite frankly, I hated the look of the aluminum Thunderbolt displays. I know I'm in the minority with that opinion. As sleek as it appears, it just didn't resonate with me. Every year I prayed that my 30" Apple Cinema Display would make it through another year or we'd finally get a new Mac friendly display so I wouldn't end up with a 27" Thunderbolt Display.

You do have to admit though, that there are a lot of people like me who found the lackluster design of the LG Ultrafines to be a non-issue once we started using them. It seems to me the real complaint amongst actual owners of the screen is that the build quality is suspect in some units. I haven't had any problems with mine, but there are enough reports to the contrary that I would hesitate to go out and buy a second one right this instant.

5. doctor-don macrumors 65816

One would think that the LG quality control department would have done its job prior to shipping this expensive display.

I am keeping my 2008 23-inch ACD whenever I buy a new Mac Pro.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207448

The 15" can run two of these.

7. Royal Gala macrumors regular

Royal Gala

Yes - but there's a problem with that: sample bias. As you noted, there are people who have purchased this monitor, who didn't like the design initially, but now see the bezels as a non-issue. This behaviour is rational. Having bought the monitor, there is a clear incentive to live with the design and to even come to like it, in order to justify the purchasing decision. You can see how, with such an incentive structure, those readily apparent bezels can almost magically become 'invisible' in every day use.

8. timber macrumors regular

I find it kind of funny everybody complains about thinness and several other aesthetic design options in several of Apple's products and then everybody also complains about this LG display than is as good as it gets functionality and the only thing it lacks is some sort of Apple fancy enclosure and matching price tag.

This is the reason Apple keeps dumbing everything down and there isn't a general use desktop.

9. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Oh please...give us some credit of having objectivity. I for one don't need to justify my purchasing decision to you or anyone else. If I like it I keep it, if I don't then I won't.

What you don't seem to want to admit is that people who have used the display for a month or more are in a much better position to give an honest and useful opinion on the display than someone who has only looked at product photos or had a quick look at it in a brightly lit Apple Store. I'm in a particularly good position to judge because my 14 day return period was renewed recently so I have both the benefit of using the display for 5 weeks AND the ability to get a full refund and walk away. That doesn't make my opinions or judgement any better than anyone else's but it does significantly reduce any feeling of confirmation bias or whatever. In fact I may very well end up returning at least one of my displays as it has blacked out 10 times this afternoon alone after I moved my Time Capsule back a bit closer.

Anyway, I think we all know your opinion on the bezel by now and you know ours so let's just move on to something more interesting shall we?

10. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

It's not that big of a deal.....

It's like the headphone jack all over again. The few complain complain about things that simply don't matter to most people.

11. smirking, Mar 16, 2017

smirking macrumors 6502a

I understand the urge to emotionally justify your expenses, but the conclusion of someone who hasn't had extensive hands on experience with a product is therefore more valid because it means you're not emotionally biased? Please.

Yes, I'm entirely aware of that possibility that my opinion is fatally flawed by that I spent money on this thing, but I'm not just OK with this after accepting its faults. I F--ing love this monitor and I honestly don't ever walk up to it and justify to myself, "see that bezel's not so bad after all..." I don't do that because I don't even see it anymore, just like I stop noticing that there's a small dent in the passenger side door of my car.

That said, some people will not be able to sleep until that dent is fixed. Plenty of those people exist. Perhaps you're one of them and for you that bezel sucks to Pluto and back. That's perfectly fine with me. I'm not trying to change your mind about it.

You are correct to say that design matters. Design is hugely important and nobody's discounting that. I love design and I'm awed when good design is able to make something that is innately complex appear like it's pedestrian. I love design and that's why I'm so surprised to be so unabashedly positive about this rather unremarkable looking black rectangle floating over my desk. Design is important, but it is not everything.

12. JMacHack macrumors 6502

This will run at 5K only on a 2016 MBP, right?[/QUOTE]
    Signed up just to say that this gives me hope for an updated pro and mini. It would be asinine, even for Cook, to release an external monitor that only works with ONE of their products.

13. Royal Gala, Mar 16, 2017

Royal Gala macrumors regular

Royal Gala

You've efficiently contradicted yourself (the two bolded sentences of the above quoted post).
    --- Post Merged, Mar 16, 2017 ---
    With all due respect, if anyone at all sounds emotional here, it's you rather than me.

My argument that the sample is subject to bias is analytically sound, and was not presented in an emotional way. Nice attempt to misframe my post though.

14. smirking macrumors 6502a

Wow, why do I even bother. Nevermind everything.

15. NY Guitarist macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

It will only work @5K on the 2016MBP. It will work at lower resolutions on other computers, but who would really want to do that?

16. scott_donald macrumors member

well just got a delivery email for tomorrow for my 2 5k monitors to be returned after exactly 10 working days I am assuming with the updated shielding...

will fire them up Saturday so will see...

17. Mercman1 macrumors newbie

I have the process now from LG Canada to get mine repaired with the shielding, but quite frankly the quality and picture and everything about this display are so good, I'm not sure I care to get it fixed...since I had to move my router anyway to get it to work.

If I was in the market for a 4k or 5k display, particularly now that these are fixed, I would buy this in two seconds flat. It's that good for picture quality.

The only knock I have against it is the speaker quality isn't as good as my Thunderbolt Display, but that is a minor annoyance, and not a deal breaker for me.

18. smirking macrumors 6502a

I'm not certain how accurate the color profiles are, but the image quality is stunning. The panel in it is believed to be the same panel that's in the 5K iMac or very very close to it so whatever's been written about the iMac's color fidelity should apply here too.

19. Sabre52 macrumors newbie

Sabre52

--- Post Merged, Mar 16, 2017 ---
    I have no verified the round black dot must indicate that the product has the shielding fix.

I unpacked the 612 ordered on 03/03/17 & received on 03/10/17 to find that the monitor had been previously opened & repacked. I installed the monitor & have tested. It has worked flawlessly with none of the issues previously described.

The look of the monitor is consistent with the 15" MBP. I am a happy customer.

20. scott_donald macrumors member

well not happy at all - returned my two 5K January 11th delivery for the shielding fix, both have been faultless... 13 days later I get both redelivered - wired them up again there to find one working normally and the other half a white screen and other half white and black... awesome....

rebooked in for Tuesday pickup for the faulty one... Well done LG for breaking my fully working monitor....

21. AxiomaticRubric macrumors regular

AxiomaticRubric

Point missed. They have the cash and market power to cater to both casual users AND professionals, yet they choose not to. They depend on professionals to create the content consumed on the devices they are offering. When said professionals have trouble finding the hardware they need to create said content, there is a problem.

22. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

That is not limited to just this monitor. My Dell monitor and a Windows PC have the same issue with Deep Sleeping monitors. I had to disable that feature.

23. smirking macrumors 6502a

It's also not unique to the latest MBP. I've had "deep sleep" issues of some variety ever since I switched to using a MBP as my only computer. Actually, I was having deep sleep issues with my old Mac Pro tower too and shocking a monitor awake from deep sleep was a lot harder with a tower.