Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
Just went to my local bestbuy to try out version 4/5 and they didn't have anything over 170xxx. And to top it off some of them had between 2 to 5 pieces of different tape re-sealing the packages lol...

Dizle

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
The Beach
Tried one out for 2 days (260,xxx) didn't like it. Sound was distorted and weird, pillow effect made typing and using the screen more difficult, rainbow effect, vibrating rear from sound and it was just too bulky for me.

I just don't need a bombproof (knock on wood!) case for my lifestyle, like the this sexy nature of the phone in a smaller case. Good luck to you all!

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
Tried one out for 2 days (260,xxx) didn't like it. Sound was distorted and weird, pillow effect made typing and using the screen more difficult, rainbow effect, vibrating rear from sound and it was just too bulky for me.

I just don't need a bombproof (knock on wood!) case for my lifestyle, like the this sexy nature of the phone in a smaller case. Good luck to you all!

Did the same, had the same experience, and returned it today.

Pillowing and rainbowing was bad. Pillowing was the primary reason for returning it. I could never hit the spacebar, and I had trouble with the notification center pulldown. Sound was bad, but I cut and inserted a piece of a hugger, or coozie, whatever you want to call them. That fixed the audio problem completely, and it actually sounded good.

There was nothing I could do to fix the pillowing though. I tried removing the foam insert at the top of the phone, but ultimately, there is a lens for the proximity sensor that won't work without it, which pushes up on the screen. I returned it today. Unsure what version it was, but I bought it from Best Buy on December 26th.

wmflyfisher

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
I just wanted to make a comment for the 4th version case. I've had it on the phone for about 2 weeks and now the top corner where the case snaps together won't stay fastened all the way. It's not staying snapped. Over time this would allow water and whatever else to seep in. I guess it's back to Best Buy to swap it out again. I like the case but I'm tired of all the design changes.

Again, I'm using the 4th gen case. I can't take a pic because I use my phone to take pics!

dennisjr631

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
I'm having the same problem. It's separating on the right side by the camera. I'm going to return it to best buy today.

Ferniesp

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
I have had the version 4 for about two weeks now. No problems whatsoever. Yeah, a little of the rainbow but not a biggy by any means. Call quality has been very good. The only adjustment that I have made is that I have my call volume up by one bar. All is well. Fit is tight.

Be careful on how you pull the case apart. Done incorrectly will cause warping.

Version 4 should be just fine.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
I think version 5 has surfaced. There is a guy that just posted on LP's Facebook page that he just got a replacement case in the 360,000 range and says it's perfect. The hard clear bumps are gone and he states the actual back has larger raised bumps that come in contact with the phone instead of glued on crap.

Might have to swing by Best Buy next week and check the numbers. :)

Last edited:

MistaBishi

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
Requested a replacement for my version 4. Back rattles and speaker sounded terrible. Also hoping to get rid of this terrible rainbow effect on the screen.

setty7

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
I think version 5 has surfaced. There is a guy that just posted on LP's Facebook page that he just got a replacement case in the 360,000 range and says it's perfect. The hard clear bumps are gone and he states the actual back has larger raised bumps that come in contact with the phone instead of glued on crap.

Just picked one up! It seems perfect! No bubble screen, no rainbow, voice is good, sound is good! My model was 359,692

awesome! Update us in a couple of weeks and let us know if any problems occured or if they have ultimately fixed all the issues.

Oh and please post pics of the new case.

Last edited:

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
No luck at our local Best Buy today. All they had were 3 black in the 100,000 range that were all torn open and been returned.
The guy said that they have 100 coming in this week on one of the trucks so I'll be back around there on Thursday and will check again.

appstate09

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013

Just got off the phone with LP support, told them I am having issue with call quality on my (ver. 4) case. She immediately issued me a new case no questions asked. I asked about revisions to the case, she told me there is a new version that was rolled out within the last month. Also, there is no way to identify what version you have (seems like serial number is fairly reliable) but I will be receiving the newest revision. Always had a great experience with the support team, besides a long wait on the phone!

Moral of the story if you have issues call, they will send the latest case. Just don't give up on the lifeproof case :)

icecrystal23

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
Just got off the phone with LP support, told them I am having issue with call quality on my (ver. 4) case. She immediately issued me a new case no questions asked. I asked about revisions to the case, she told me there is a new version that was rolled out within the last month. Also, there is no way to identify what version you have (seems like serial number is fairly reliable) but I will be receiving the newest revision. Always had a great experience with the support team, besides a long wait on the phone!

Moral of the story if you have issues call, they will send the latest case. Just don't give up on the lifeproof case :)

After going through 3 revisions of this case, I have given up on the LifeProof case.

I am sure they will eventually figure out how to make it work as well as the iPhone 4 version, but they really, really should not have released the product when it was not ready. All of the issues that people are experiencing have been noticeable immediately. It's not like a product testing team would not have found these issues. It really feels like LifeProof just threw the $80 case out there and let the public do their end-user testing.

I returned my "version 4" replacement to Best Buy and will now wait to see what the competition comes up with.... (Otterbox, or maybe I will get a simple dry-bag for when I need to be waterproof).

ogamiitto

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013

i have to agree. i was pretty disappointed with this case.

when i had my iPhone 4 , i pretty much had that phone protected in either an Otterbox commuter or defender in the 2 years i had that phone. when i got the 5, i naturally sought out a case that offered me the same protection.

i did some research, went to the company site, watched the videos and made the purchase. i never spent that much on a case before....but i figured it was worth it.

first thing i noticed was how crappy the sound was. i don't normally play music of my iphone sans ear buds, but i had to try it out since the company made a big deal about some patented such and such. it sucked...there volume seem to make the case vibrate adding something awful to the audio quality. it made my iphone speakers sound cheap.

the next was the feel of it. it felt cheap. i don't care if the protection was everything the company claimed it would be....i needed to feel that quality in the feel of the object. which i didn't.

the whole experience lead me to question the necessity of having that much protection. both the Lifeproof and Otterbox seemed to take away from the beauty of the iphone design. i think i wanted to take more advantage of that this time around with my new phone. i got a commuter case for my 5 anyway for those times i need more protection...like during some outdoor activity.....but, other than those times , i going to come to a conclusion a lot of you already seemed to have.....and that going with a skin or slender case that feels and looks a lot better.

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
okay, so i got a replacement case from lifeproof in the mail today.

black case. #390791 and it doesn't sound like a new revised case to me. not anything like what is claimed to have been received on Facebook.

it still has the plastic bumps on the back and my screen seems really wavy. the case was outside in the mailbox all day and it's about 10 degrees out so that may have something to do with it...idk.

we'll see how this case goes but if the screen stays wavy i just may have to return the case.

Ferniesp

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
You guys are giving up too soon. The newest version has the two little plastic pieces along with a few minor changes. The screen is about as flat as it's going to get, not perfect but good enough. They fixed the proximity sensor which was huge. I have no vibration and call quality is good. I don't play music without my headset so I don't care how it sounds with the speaker only.
As for feeling cheap, I disagree. Which cases feels rich?
The case right now is as good as advertised. Who knows how it will be in a month or so.

ogamiitto

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
......As for feeling cheap, I disagree. Which cases feels rich?.....

i don't know what would've been a better alternative material that would offer the same level of protection....but, as far as feel goes, i like soft touch plastic better.

i recently got an incipio folio case for the amazon price of 10 bucks. that felt a lot better.

again, i'm not questioning the protective qualities of the material. what i'm saying is that it didn't feel like a 90 dollar case to me and that i've come to a conclusion that if that's how a super protective case is supposed to feel and look....then i'd prefer to do with out it.

----------

.......I don't play music without my headset so I don't care how it sounds with the speaker only.......

as i said before, neither do i. but, this is something that the company claims that their product does well. so well , that i believe they said they have a patent pending on the design....so, regardless if i listen to my phone without earphones, it's going to bug me that their claims don't measure up.

wmflyfisher

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
For the record I took the life proof version 4 case back to BB tonight and exchanged it for an otterbox defender. I REALLY like the ob case better even though its not fully waterproof. I can live with that. The newly designed silicone is light years better than the older lint catching material. Another bonus was the belt holster. I think I've found my case for a while. Sorry LP.

secured2k

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
The new silcone is better but still loses shape after a few months. At least otter box replaces them for me over and over again.

secured2k

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
You know I went through 5 ob defender cases and 3 times they just sent me a brand new one in box and never asked for the old one back...
I went to LP for the water proofing and hopes I wouldn't have to replace the case so often. So far that looks to be happening... Once LP fixes the bugs in this version. I got bit by being one of those early adopters again!

ogamiitto

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
The new silcone is better but still loses shape after a few months. At least otter box replaces them for me over and over again.

they do have very good customer service. it's the one of the reasons i'm keeping my new defender case as a alternative to my upcoming element case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.