Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macguy76

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
Texas
Just picked up a LifeProof Frē at my local best buy after returning the first one back a month ago as the screen was really not close enough to the iPhone screen.

Glad I waited! This newer one fits much better! Water tested by me last night, is easy to type on.

I'll keep it on for a while and see how this goes.

Jburnette87

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
Mobile,AL
Just picked up a LifeProof Frē at my local best buy after returning the first one back a month ago as the screen was really not close enough to the iPhone screen.

Glad I waited! This newer one fits much better! Water tested by me last night, is easy to type on.

I'll keep it on for a while and see how this goes.

can you comment on the lot/build number? bottom right on the back of the box?

appstate09

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
I see no difference between case 258xxx and 481xxx (black), just got newest from Lifeproof today. Still some some newton rings just like before, neither had an issue while screen was on. Call quality does seem improved, but I didn't seen an difference at the mic between the cases. Earpiece volume seems louder. Speaker quality appears better, screen lock sound is not quite as echo-y. These are all first impressions and are subject to change!

I do not believe there is a Ver 5 case out there yet, but I could be wrong. Both of my cases are Ver 4, the first may have had a compromised microphone cover.

It still has to pass the true test, a phone call with the fiance without having to open the charging port door. She couldn't stand not hearing me on the other end.

--UPDATE-- call quality is MUCH better, no issues with my fiance hearing me :) I'm happy

Last edited:

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Just picked up a 450,000 model at Best Buy and it still has the crappy plastic pieces glued on the back shell.
Taking this POS straight back for a refund.

I'm sick of these Lifeproof POS cases. :)

appstate09, does yours have the clear pieces glued inside of the back shell?

Last edited:

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Here is the picture that someone emailed me stating that the case was 360,000 and the three black ribs inside of the back shell were 2-3 times taller then the older versions and that the case works perfect.

You be the judge, is this Version 5?

LFV52.jpg

The 450,000 model that I purchased today still has the clear plastic
pieces glued to the back.

I don't have a clue anymore. :(

appstate09

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
Just picked up a 450,000 model at Best Buy and it still has the crappy plastic pieces glued on the back shell.
Taking this POS straight back for a refund.

I'm sick of these Lifeproof POS cases. :)

appstate09, does yours have the clear pieces glued inside of the back shell?

Yes, it does. That's why I think there is not a version 5 case out. I have yet to see pictures of the version 5. I was told I was sent the lastest revision of the case, then again I could have been given the run around.

They probably have an abundance of version 1 cases then apply all the mods and add the plastic pieces.

I was bothered today when I opened the new case today, but put 1 and 1 together and realized this has to be the newest case.

The way customer service talked to me (not hesitant to replace), made me think there are a lot of unhappy customers right now and I do not think they will send out old cases to clear inventory.

----------

Here is the picture that someone emailed me stating that the case was 360,000 and the three black ribs inside of the back shell were 2-3 times taller then the older versions and that the case works perfect.

You be the judge, is this Version 5?

The 450,000 model that I purchased today still has the clear plastic
pieces glued to the back.

I don't have a clue anymore. :(

hmm...that serial # is inbetween both of my cases, but mine are identical.

dakota316

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2011
Missouri
Otterbox Armor is revealed tomorrow. Gonna be bulky like the defender but can't wait. At least we know with them it will be a solid product.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Otterbox Armor is revealed tomorrow. Gonna be bulky like the defender but can't wait. At least we know with them it will be a solid product.

and will be able to purchase one in this lifetime? :eek:

It's a race, Taktik or Armor, will either one ever be available? :rolleyes:

HiRisk

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2013
and will be able to purchase one in this lifetime? :eek:

It's a race, Taktik or Armor, will either one ever be available? :rolleyes:

Have fun on purchasing and returning those LifeProof cases until you find the "perfect" one.

How many revisions did LifeProof make so far? ;)

The Lunatik case looks interesting though. I wonder how much bulk it will add to the phone? Otterbox has stated that the Armor case won't be any bulkier than the Defender case.

Last edited:

Ferniesp

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
People, version 4 works just fine. That is the last release. Glue or no glued on pieces, the case is fine now. I was their biggest critic and they have come through.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
People, version 4 works just fine. That is the last release. Glue or no glued on pieces, the case is fine now. I was their biggest critic and they have come through.

You talking about the version with the 2 glued on clear pieces?

vajeff

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2011

I have the version 4 case right now. Fit and finish on it are just right. The screen lays nice and flat with no air in between. The Newton Rings are there, but do not show when the screen is on.

The single biggest issue I have had with all versions, I have had all of them, is the sound on the end of the person I am calling. I have been told by many folks now that it will sound just fine, then all of the sudden become very faint (barely even able to hear me), then back to normal, faint, etc, etc, etc.

This one issue is the reason I have the case off of the phone right now. People I am calling for work or personal need to be able to hear me when I talk.

Never had any problems with the 4S case.

Ferniesp

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
Any problems with these hard clear pieces scratching the back of your phone after using the case for a while?

No, no at all. I have used it for about two weeks and there is nothing wrong with the case......no scratches, nothing. It all works as advertised for me.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Mine is better than my 4 case ever was.

----------

Oh, and I loved that one.

----------

It was purple. I miss that.

appstate09

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
No, no at all. I have used it for about two weeks and there is nothing wrong with the case......no scratches, nothing. It all works as advertised for me.

Same here, no scratches

----------

I have the version 4 case right now. Fit and finish on it are just right. The screen lays nice and flat with no air in between. The Newton Rings are there, but do not show when the screen is on.

The single biggest issue I have had with all versions, I have had all of them, is the sound on the end of the person I am calling. I have been told by many folks now that it will sound just fine, then all of the sudden become very faint (barely even able to hear me), then back to normal, faint, etc, etc, etc.

This one issue is the reason I have the case off of the phone right now. People I am calling for work or personal need to be able to hear me when I talk.

Never had any problems with the 4S case.

That's how my first version 4 was. Get a replacement if you haven't yet. My replacement is so much better, no complaints on the other side of the phone.

Ferniesp

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
Forgot to mention.....the baby powder thing really works for those dang rings.

In summary, I seriously doubt that anyone with the latest version will have anymore problems. Yea, it took a few versions but its all good now.

vajeff

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2011
Same here, no scratches

----------

That's how my first version 4 was. Get a replacement if you haven't yet. My replacement is so much better, no complaints on the other side of the phone.

I will give another one a try in a few weeks to let some newer ones hit my local BBs. Also keeping my on the Incipio and Seidio cases at the same time.

The voice problem I have had has been intermittent, but enough to be annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.