Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoofMonkey911

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
Otterbox Armor is revealed tomorrow. Gonna be bulky like the defender but can't wait. At least we know with them it will be a solid product.

Stack 2 Lifeproof cases on too of each other and you will have an idea of just how large the OB Armor case will be. Freakin brick!

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Armor weighs 3.91 oz. iPhone 5 weighs 3.95 oz. I have better things to do than carry around a half pound of phone.

HiRisk

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2013
I'll be getting the Armor Case because of the type of work I do. The LifeProof is an okay case but it doesn't seem that durable when working in a working environment like construction or when I work on cars.

Go on about how the case looks. I'm in it for the functionality because I actually use my phone for work. I value the operating system and the content that I have saved on the phone over how nice and sleek the case is.

I can use the other cases that I own when I want my phone to look like a beauty queen. I'll use those kind of cases when I go on a vacation and don't need the protection that can be found on the Defender/Armor Case or LifeProof case.

Brick or not it don't matter to me. The value of the data and functionality of the phone for use in my workplace far exceeds that of how nice and sleek the case looks. I'm getting this case to protect the information that's on the phone.

Then again there are people out there who use phones as a status symbol. :lol: ;)

Last edited:

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
HiRisk, I'm with you on that. I'll be ordering the Armor the second it's available.
Might get two, one green and one orange..

secured2k

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
I looked at the OB Armor and must agree that it looks tougher only because of it's size. I guess this does make it easier to make sure there aren't as many problems with the case and more room for suspension/shock absorption.

Despite the problems with the LP case, after using it for a few months, I feel that it is a solid and light case with protection to handle rougher environments.

The reason I went to Life Proof is because I did not want a brick phone anymore. The iPhone is thin and light and I want to keep it that way. However, we have discovered there are consequences to a case being thin. This leads me to Obex and Atlas sealed cases.

The Obex seems just as thin but has thicker area at both the top and bottom. I can only assume this is to fix the issues with the spacing at the top and bottom of the screen. It also has a screen protector that has little bumps on it to keep it raised off the screen to prevent the watermarking (rainbow rings). I'm not sure how much this affects sensitivity but it seems that the manufacturer says you'll get used to it. It has a holster. It only seems to come in black.

The Atlas - I couldn't find anything official for it and I hear it has been shown at CES 2013. I found the high res media images for the case. It looks to be a little thicker than the Seido Obex but slightly thinner than a Defender. It is hard for me to tell for sure. A bonus is the use of Tempered glass to protect the screen which may account for thickness, but a higher quality touch and viewing experience. Finally, they warranty the case and phone for water damage for a year.

Attachments

• Atlas_twopart.jpg
    Atlas_twopart.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 107
  • Atlas.jpg
    Atlas.jpg
    1,011.5 KB · Views: 119
  • overview_graphic_design_v2.png
    overview_graphic_design_v2.png
    135.2 KB · Views: 114
  • iPhone5-banner-Dust_03.jpg
    iPhone5-banner-Dust_03.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 93

RoofMonkey911

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
http://m.imore.com/incipio-shows-ultra-protective-atlas-case-iphone

----------

Retired Firefighter... Never had my Lifeproof fail me in over a year. And I know it should have considering the environments I have my phone in.
I'll be getting the Armor Case because of the type of work I do. The LifeProof is an okay case but it doesn't seem that durable when working in a working environment like construction or when I work on cars.

Go on about how the case looks. I'm in it for the functionality because I actually use my phone for work. I value the operating system and the content that I have saved on the phone over how nice and sleek the case is.

I can use the other cases that I own when I want my phone to look like a beauty queen. I'll use those kind of cases when I go on a vacation and don't need the protection that can be found on the Defender/Armor Case or LifeProof case.

Brick or not it don't matter to me. The value of the data and functionality of the phone for use in my workplace far exceeds that of how nice and sleek the case looks. I'm getting this case to protect the information that's on the phone.

Then again there are people out there who use phones as a status symbol. :lol: ;)

Grant32736

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2013
What's the latest version out? Version 4 or 5? And, what are the features of each that fix the original issues of the case? I still have a version 2 unfortunately

LSUstang05

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2011
I have one in the 255xxx range and it's perfectly fine. There is a little oil slick on the screen, but I had that on my iP4 also. Considering I work in hydroblasting, the LifeProof is perfect being that it's waterproof and shockproof. I've dropped this off of the second level of a chemical plant and the only damage was a few scratches on the case. Call quality is fine and the other end doesn't have any issues either. The only complaint I have, and I had it for the iP4, is the call volume in the ear piece is a little lower but that is due to the waterproof membrane covering it and there isn't much, if anything they can do about it.

Overall, if you can get one in the 255xxx+ range, I would highly recommend it. The first one I had was 164xxx and it was garbage with the pillowing and back plate issues.

Jakkejakkejakke

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
I have one in the 255xxx range and it's perfectly fine. There is a little oil slick on the screen, but I had that on my iP4 also. Considering I work in hydroblasting, the LifeProof is perfect being that it's waterproof and shockproof. I've dropped this off of the second level of a chemical plant and the only damage was a few scratches on the case. Call quality is fine and the other end doesn't have any issues either. The only complaint I have, and I had it for the iP4, is the call volume in the ear piece is a little lower but that is due to the waterproof membrane covering it and there isn't much, if anything they can do about it.

Overall, if you can get one in the 255xxx+ range, I would highly recommend it. The first one I had was 164xxx and it was garbage with the pillowing and back plate issues.

How's the screenprotector ?
I've read that it isn't clear as the one for the 4/4s. I personaly hate sp's that mess up the beautifull screen of the 5 by reducing the glare.

Thanks for the responce.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Anyone recently purchased a Fre case from Best Buy? :eek:
What number did you get and does it have the glued on clear pieces inside of the back shell or the newer molded back shell?

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Anyone recently purchased a Fre case from Best Buy? :eek:
What number did you get and does it have the glued on clear pieces inside of the back shell or the newer molded back shell?

Just wait for the incipio atlas coming in the next month instead of playing with return shannanigans with lifeproof.

The atlas has a tempered glass screen with no bubbling and device warranty for water damage. You can't beat that.

icecrystal23

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
Just wait for the incipio atlas coming in the next month instead of playing with return shannanigans with lifeproof.

The atlas has a tempered glass screen with no bubbling and device warranty for water damage. You can't beat that.

Not only the Atlas... Griffin, Otterbox, and Seido all have waterproof cases coming out soon

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Not only the Atlas... Griffin, Otterbox, and Seido all have waterproof cases coming out soon

Yea I'm also interested in the otterbox armor. But incipio has a warranty on water damage which is too good to pass up. I worry when my phone goes in water and the warranty on it will make me more relaxed

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
Are all those Lifeproof iPhone5 cases on Ebay fakes? Trying to get hold of one through proper channels is proving a nightmare, I guess I could just claim through PayPal if it were a fake....but still

GenderFi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I like how this thread turned into people considering in other cases but the LifeProof :) I, myself, am considering the Incipio Atlas, mainly because of its tempered glass screen.

Bird is the word.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
I like how this thread turned into people considering in other cases but the LifeProof :) I, myself, am considering the Incipio Atlas, mainly because of its tempered glass screen.

Bird is the word.

Agreed. Also the atlas has a warranty for your iphone if the case fails.

toxthexnines

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2007
405/918
I just got one in the 472xxx+ range and it couldn't be anymore perfect. No pillowing or back panel issues.

I had a previous case in the 174xxx+ range and the screen sucked on it.

kywildcats

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2012
I honestly think that warranty is another huge factor that wins me over.

I started to order the Lifeproof case but I thought I would check things out on here first and I am glad that I did. While it seems that they have figured things out with the Lifeproof case the Atlas is something that I cannot pass up. I have the Otterbox Defender now. I want a new case because of the openings in the Otterbox. I do like the fact that it does have a little window in the back to show the apple on the back though. But the warranty with the Atlas is way to good to pass up!!!

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
I started to order the Lifeproof case but I thought I would check things out on here first and I am glad that I did. While it seems that they have figured things out with the Lifeproof case the Atlas is something that I cannot pass up. I have the Otterbox Defender now. I want a new case because of the openings in the Otterbox. I do like the fact that it does have a little window in the back to show the apple on the back though. But the warranty with the Atlas is way to good to pass up!!!

Glad we could help. Also a tempered glass screen is pretty awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.