Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ciaolondra

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2013
I have the green Fre case and love the color and the case itself! The only thing I don't love is the fact that the case's screen isn't flush with your phone's. I sent my first screen back due to its being rippled and I have to say that customer service was great. My new screen is less "bubbly", but there are still some areas where it's not flat. It apparently takes a few days to completely flatten out, but anyone have any suggestions how to get rid of the bubbles?

I did use my phone to take photos of my kids underwater and sadly, the shutter release button wasn't as responsive in the water. This case isn't your answer to an underwater camera, but is in terms of protection in every situation!

RoofMonkey911

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
I have the green Fre case and love the color and the case itself! The only thing I don't love is the fact that the case's screen isn't flush with your phone's. I sent my first screen back due to its being rippled and I have to say that customer service was great. My new screen is less "bubbly", but there are still some areas where it's not flat. It apparently takes a few days to completely flatten out, but anyone have any suggestions how to get rid of the bubbles?

I did use my phone to take photos of my kids underwater and sadly, the shutter release button wasn't as responsive in the water. This case isn't your answer to an underwater camera, but is in terms of protection in every situation!

For underwater photos, you need to use the volume buttons on the side.

To flatten the screen; open charger door and while pressing & sliding the face of the case across your leg or chest , snap it closed. That's what I've done with great results.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
ok I am sure this has been addressed in this thread and I am going to go search, but I am also kind of on a time crunch so I figured I would just ask if anyone is feeling helpful.

I am currently water proof testing the case, but I do have a SGP screen protector on my phone. Lifeproof recommends that I take it off but is it ok to use it with it on for a while?

Also it says the headphone adapter it comes with is for use in wet, dusty conditions but wet does not equal waterproof does it? can I use the supplied adapter with waterproof headphones?

Thanks super excited that I got a white FRE for a steal at best buy.

mrbunglez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
ok I am sure this has been addressed in this thread and I am going to go search, but I am also kind of on a time crunch so I figured I would just ask if anyone is feeling helpful.

I am currently water proof testing the case, but I do have a SGP screen protector on my phone. Lifeproof recommends that I take it off but is it ok to use it with it on for a while?

Also it says the headphone adapter it comes with is for use in wet, dusty conditions but wet does not equal waterproof does it? can I use the supplied adapter with waterproof headphones?

Thanks super excited that I got a white FRE for a steal at best buy.

To answer your 1st question there's a reason why they tell you take it off, it's because it could effect the integrity of the seal and render the waterproof ability useless. The case was designed around a naked iPhone and adding even just a few mm's, the outcome could be a water drenched phone because of a leak. My suggestion: Take it off so you don't become that percentage with a dead phone.

And your 2nd question yes you can use your waterproof headphones WIth the adapter the one that comes with your case works underwater.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
To answer your 1st question there's a reason why they tell you take it off, it's because it could effect the integrity of the seal and render the waterproof ability useless. The case was designed around a naked iPhone and adding even just a few mm's, the outcome could be a water drenched phone because of a leak. My suggestion: Take it off so you don't become that percentage with a dead phone.

And your 2nd question yes you can use your waterproof headphones WIth the adapter the one that comes with your case works underwater.

Thanks for your super quick response. I really appreciate it.

Xeronex

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2012
I received my white fre on Friday and everyone I speak to on the phone says it sounds like my phone is in a barrel I have tried the blowing trick LP recommend but this has done nothing any ideas for a fix?

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Reseat the phone. Take the plug out and put it in bottom first. Close it up, then put the plug back in. If its a Fre, squish any air out against your leg before putting the plug in.

Xeronex

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2012
Reseat the phone. Take the plug out and put it in bottom first. Close it up, then put the plug back in. If its a Fre, squish any air out against your leg before putting the plug in.

Thanks for the reply but when you say plug do you mean the headphone plug?

Bebopgroove

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2013
Just registered with the forums, bought a black Frē for my iPhone 5, and right now my biggest complaint with the case, something I've seen with two different cases now, is the protective guard over the flash lens - it's almost seriously like thin, plastic stretchy-wrap. Something that doesn't seem durable at all, like it could easily get punctured and ruin the waterproof aspect. Now, the case I have right now is case #3 (tempted to exchange it for the lime green one though); my first case had a small fold-out set of instructions, while my next two had a booklet instead; I don't recall if case #1 had this issue with the flash lens or not, I've only noticed it with case #2 and #3 (which is why I returned case #2). Is this feature with the flash lens consistent with the other cases? Just wondering if it bothers anyone else, and if it's found in the lime green frē.

thiswho

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2012
Was sent a replacement case with a. 5xx,xxx serial number. Safe to say this is still the latest iteration of the case? Was having a problem with a low frequency humming with my current one.

The replacement case looks exactly like the 1,xxx,xxx serial number one that I am replacing. Strange that they sent such a low number as a replacement? Doesn't have the clear blocks, or black foam or any of that sort of thing. The serial number sticker is smaller than the other too, so maybe it's just a re-vamped serial number?

Last edited:

Blacklabel9698

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2011
Finally after 3 attempts I have in my hand what I would consider a PERFECT Fré. The screen is flat as flat could be. Sound is as good as it gets for these cases. Funny thing is is the worst one I had was 1,xxx,xxx. That one's screen have three horrible waves or pillows that were unbearable. This one is only 4xx,xxx but the serial number barcode was smaller. This case has a clear bump near the proximity sensor. So I'm not sure which gen it is but I'm finally happy.

brentc133

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2012
I removed the piece of plastic that caused the bump by the proximity sensor and everything still worked fine with sound and proximity sensor.

RoofMonkey911

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
The latest and greatest case is currently in stores and online - you can set aside the search. LifeBox Iphone 5 cases are thinner, lighter, tougher, and provide greater protection for your valuable device.

Where online or what stores? Google search doesn't turn anything up.

Dizle

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
The Beach
I love my lifeproof case. I work in a dirty/ unsafe environment for delicate electronics and the case works perfectly to protect the phone.

Call quality is great never get complaints of people not being able to hear me. Everything else works as it should.

Only complaint is the sound when taking on the phone isn't loud enough sometimes, but I have a jailbreak tweak for that so it's a non issue now.

Obviously using a nekkid iPhone would be ideal but with my job I need the protection and it's nice always having it safe when I'm not working! Didn't like the case at first but it grew on me and I am a fan.

tdf1974

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2013
New user here, I did a lot of lurking and reading here before I decided to finally get a Lifeproof case for my 5. I know this is a bit long, but maybe it will help someone facing the "which case" dilemma. I wanted to get a Fre months ago but I read of all the issues so I waited. I've purchased a few different cases in the meantime trying to find something I overall like. Every case I've tried has pros and cons for me, I'm a heavy equipment tech so my phone is in a bad environment with constant gritty dirt exposure plus the potential for splashes with oil. I carry a lot of crap in my pockets so adding a phone isn't an option. I've tried the OB Armor (lacks holster, and it's bulky though no worse than my previous Droid Bionic in a Defender, very tough case that I like to use when I'm in the woods biking), next was the Griffin catalyst. My favorite of them all, but no holster and it scratches very easily. The first catalyst I had was replaced because the screen protector was poorly bonded and it failed the water test, the warranty replacement was fairly easy I did it all by email.I tried the OB Defender and it was a good case however it left way to many things exposed to the nasty stuff at work, I had to remove and clean it daily because of constant dirt entry especially around the camera. My wife has been very happy with her Defender, but her phone lives in her purse so the dirt isn't an issue. I switched my Defender to a Griffin Survivor, which I have used for a few months. It's nice case very protective, though the belt clip is a bit flimsy but I never had a problem with it. It's a great case for keeping dust out, though it was a pain opening the camera flap every time I wanted to take a picture, and that flap also completely covers the rear mic, not an issue for video shooting as it's open anyway but that mic serves other purposes.
Ok on to the new Lifeproof. It's the black model, purchased at my local Best Buy so I can easily return it. I talked to the guy I usually deal with at their mobile phone counter, I've came to trust him over the past few years. He said returns on the Lifeproof cases were minimal these days so that was the deciding factor. # on the back of the box is 1,400,746 and from what I can tell it's the latest revision. My first impressions are good, they may finally have it right. The screen lays flat except for the proximity sensor lens, just a few minor newton spots here and there (These were a minor issue with the Survivor and Defender as well, just the nature of the beast and I've grown used to them by now) I had concerns the ribs on the rear cover might abrade the phone over time so I stuck a small piece of screen protector material where they contact to protect with minimal impact on case fit. I've placed a few phone calls and had no complaints, I also called and left a message on my answering machine to hear for myself and it sounded fine. Music is Ok on the built in speaker, much better than the Survivor or a naked phone. I've never been pleased with music on the phone speaker anyway but that's why I have several Bluetooth speakers and headphones. I haven't tested speakerphone mode yet, but I rarely use it anyway. It won't be a deal breaker for me one way or the other, If I need hands-free calling I generally use headphones or my car Bluetooth. -Update, I tried speakerphone when I was out and about today, seems to work just fine.
In addition to the case I also purchased the dock extender which seems to be almost impossible to find anywhere, I don't even see it on the Lifeproof site anymore but my Best Buy actually had them. It fits my docking alarm clock ok but there is very little support for the phone due mainly to the design of the dock. I also got the holster, holds the phone securely and clips solidly to my belt so no complaints there. I'm thinking of getting the car suction mount, but I'm going to wait and make sure I stick with the case.
I seriously debated getting the nuud case but ultimately decided work grime would likely work in around the screen seal and abrade the screen and probably damage the seal. I also assumed the clear back would get pretty nasty looking in a short time.

Last edited:

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Question for those with a Fre, how well do they work with screen shields? I've read that Lifeproof recommends you don't use them. Now obviously glass screen shields won't work, but would normal plastic ones work with it?

RoofMonkey911

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
Question for those with a Fre, how well do they work with screen shields? I've read that Lifeproof recommends you don't use them. Now obviously glass screen shields won't work, but would normal plastic ones work with it?

The thinner (cheaper) ones work ok. The thick ones like Zagg could be an issue. If its to just prevent the newton rings, a thin cheap protector should work fine.

tdf1974

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2013
Update on my case, the newton issue became terrible, after about a week the screen cover got very wavy. I exchanged it at Best Buy and the new one was a wavy mess right out of the box. Tonight I was at Wal-Mart and found a black Fre case under a whole new set of numbering from what have been seeing, first 2 letters were not LP they were JP. I decided to give it a shot, and my first thoughts after I sliced it open were I had just purchased a fake from an authorized reseller. There was no yellow sticker on the back, no printing on the backside of the home screen insert in the case, and the booklet is different... French and English in 1 book, made of thin paper and the print quality isn't all that great. The box is identical, can't find any discrepancies there. There was no extra headphone cover or attachment for it on the headphone adapter which really threw up a red flag but the reason quickly became clear... the headphone port cover is tethered to the case like the Nuud! (I've attached a pic) I think what I have got my hands on is the latest revision of the Fre, they've cut costs by tethering the headphone jack and reducing the printed material included in the package. I shall be contacting Lifeproof to verify but so far this case is great. The screen is perfect, calls are good, and it passed the water test.

Attachments

• DSCF0619.JPG
    DSCF0619.JPG
    335 KB · Views: 118

Dizle

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
The Beach
Interesting find wonder if they changed anything else?

I had newton rings I couldn't get rid of for the life of me, even with a cheap screen protector that made it worse. Had the case off over the weekend, stored in my (wooden) night stand drawer.

Put it back on tonight, just a quick clean of the phone and screen protector with a microfiber and all newton rings are gone! I usually use an air can to get everything off but didn't have one. Somehow letting the case sit in the wood drawer for two days cured the newton ring problem, probably only temp tho

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.