Lifeproof improvements

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Colev1, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Colev1 macrumors member

So I know I've had a couple posts concerning the lifeproof fre but I've decided to invest in one because I have a very active lifestyle on my family farm and in the heavy truck shop and washbay I also downhill ski so the snow proof and water proof feature is great for me. I heard that lifeproof has a gen 2 case out now which fixed the sound problems, proximity sensor, call quality issues and made the touch screen better so that pretty much convinced me but I'm wondering if there will be more improvements yet? And if there are, will stores like best buy or future shop (only places available in Canada) let me exchange the case for a new one if significant improvements are made? Which is the better place to buy?
    Thanks for the input

2. norwegian wood macrumors regular

3. Colev1 thread starter macrumors member

I've had nothing but bad experiences with otterbox, told myself I would never waste my money on another one. Everyone I know with lifeproof likes it so I guess my real question is where is the better place to buy future shop or best buy?

4. Hooterville macrumors 6502a

Hooterville

The only way Lifeproof will be able to fix the sound on the Fre case is a total new design. Any enclosed case that routes the sound from the bottom of the phone to the back panel is a receipt for disaster.

I would say purchase at Best Buy as you can always return or exchange it there.

BTW, there are like 6 revisions of the Fre cases already. Check out the Incipio Atlas case that will be available for pre-order on the 11th of this month, looks like a good one.

5. MauiGideon macrumors regular

I just bought a lifeproof case last week (new color). Case works perfectly fine to me. No newton rings/and no sound call issues so far.

Speaker Volume is decreased but its not terrible like some explain it to be.

6. norwegian wood macrumors regular

7. Colev1 thread starter macrumors member

I like the look of lifeproof and the fact that the front in black can look somewhat like the actual front of the phone. sound quality isn't a huge issue because I usually have it plugged into speakers anyway.

----------

That's what I hear people say, that most issues are now fixed

----------

That's what I hear people say, that most issues are now fixed

8. maliu macrumors 6502a

I love mine. Been using a LP since they first came out almost 2 years ago. My first Fr sucked, but the second is nearly perfect. Sound is way better than the 4 case.

9. Premium1 macrumors 6502a

I've had no issues with the lifeproof cases I've owned.

10. Colev1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for the input!! All the good comments really back up my decision. I'm gunna spring for the lifeproof. I just like to be sure it's a good case before I put 80 dollars into it, seems like a big investment for a case but I think it will be worth it even if it saves my phone from water once!

11. MauiGideon macrumors regular

The only way you can be positive you are getting the newest version of the case is to get a colored one... But, if you do get a black case make sure it is the new version. There are a lot of old versions floating around still.

12. Colev1 thread starter macrumors member

I'll likely ask the salesman at best buy when the shipment came in and make my decision based on that I can also look at future shop but I'd prefer best buy cuz their return policies seem to be better if I can't get a new black one I will probably end up going with blue

13. norwegian wood macrumors regular

lifeproof is crap

14. Premium1 macrumors 6502a

And like I've said, I have had no issues with the cases from them I've owned. You just sound like an angry otterbox or some other case company customer

15. Colev1 thread starter macrumors member

16. MUBiomed macrumors demi-god

MUBiomed

I was one of the people who had a lifeproof case on their 4S and was extremely disappointed when the Fre came out for the 5. I returned it and begrudgingly went with an otterbox defender for a while while lifeproof fixed their case. I bought the cyan fre case at my local best buy this past week and it works much better than the first fre cases they put out. I still have a couple newton rings but the proximity sensor issues seem fixed, as well as the call "hissing" that was occurring with the earlier cases. I think it is the best on the market now. It is ashame they had us beta test their cases for them and I am sure they lost customers who were happy with the 4/4S cases and then found disappointment with the fre.

TL/DR: Seems fixed and good to go now

17. jkbane macrumors newbie

jkbane

18. Colev1 thread starter macrumors member

Watched the videos of the obex In your link and I am impressed!! The touchscreen responsiveness looks way better which is a HUGE factor for me, just looks like a very well constructed case I am seriously considering it!

19. Zman3001 macrumors member

I've had both the Lifeproof and the Obex. Functionally, the Obex is head and shoulders above the Lifeproof. In order to plug in headphones, I don't have to worry about carrying around an adapter. Most importantly, the screen is infinitely better as it is completely flat without the oil slicks due to the screen being specially engineered. The only problems I have with it are that the silence switch is difficult to use, and the lightning port is a bit smaller than the Lifeproof, blocking access for any lightning to 30 pin adapter usage. But, the Lifeproof cases I have had (one on my old 4s and 2 on my 5) kept getting dust under the screen, plus the oil slicks and the screen puffing making it tougher to use the screen.

I just feel like every other company that makes these types of cases put a little more effort into researching and engineering their cases based on usage. Just seems like Lifeproof threw together the same thing that they have been doing, and added the hole in the back for the logo. Its great that its waterproof, but I'm not in the water 24/7 and it needs to be usable for when its not in the water.

Just hate to be constantly spending about $100 per case to find the perfect one, or waiting for other cases to be released that, by the time they are out the next generation of phone will be out.

20. HiRisk macrumors 6502

Nice review of the OBEX!

I may consider getting the OBEX again if this Otterbox Armor case becomes too much of a hassle with its thickness.

The OBEX with holster is now $72.19 on Amazon!

21. Hooterville macrumors 6502a

Hooterville

The thing that sucks about the Obex is that after you open the case 2-3 times it will no longer stay shut. :eek:

I returned the Obex within a week of purchasing it. :rolleyes:

and the holster sucks pretty bad........

22. HiRisk, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013

HiRisk macrumors 6502

Lol I returned my OBEX too due to the mute switch cover being too flimsy.

So far the Armor case is a winner. Bring on the Atlas!

23. jkbane macrumors newbie

jkbane

All these are pretty much first generation models. Things will only get better. Hopefully sooner than later. I've only had experience with the iPhone 4S LifeProof and the Obex. I'd love to get my hands on the Armor.

----------

I agree about the obex vibration rocker port. At first I must have hit it just right but after more use it seemed like I couldn't find the sweet spot.

These cases are designed not to be taken off and to be daily drivers. So maybe in future models they will be more stable after taking them off and on a few times.

24. norwegian wood macrumors regular

no, i have tried lifeproof cases and they are crap. i would actually only use it to wipe myself if i was in the woods camping

25. Premium1 macrumors 6502a

Then why do you keep coming to this thread spouting the same ignorance over and over? I do not care what you would do and pretty sure nobody else does either. Your comments once again sound like an upset otterbox or some other case owner.:eek: