Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icecrystal23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
I got a LifeProof case from Best Buy a few days ago. Everything seemed fine at first, but I seem to be having two issues now. I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing these issues:

1) When I am talking on the phone, I occasionally get a high-pitched noise (like microphone feedback). I never got it before, so I'm wondering if the case is causing it somehow

2) I can't get the headphone adapter to screw in all the way

I will probably contact LifeProof or exchange it to Best Buy due to the headphone adapter issue anyway. But I am wondering if the feedback issue is widespread.

pharazon

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
1.) I have the same issue. I have contacted LifeProof and am waiting for a response. Please do the same, as the company is more likely to recognize the issue if more people notify them about it.

2.) Is it possible you're not seating it properly before torquing down on it? I would at least examine it closer and make sure before returning it over that issue. I tried to screw mine in hastily and was met with the same issue.

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Just got mine in yesterday, exchanged it for a new one last night. The first one I had some weird noise coming from the ear speaker and the proximity sensor was not working properly. The second one I have is a bit better, but I find it harder to type. The layer over the screen is not flush. Do you guys notice the back of the phone vibrating a lot when music is playing?

phreebsd

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2010
yes

lots of rattling/buzzing in the back from vibrate motor AND speaker playing stuff :(

icecrystal23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
1.) I have the same issue. I have contacted LifeProof and am waiting for a response. Please do the same, as the company is more likely to recognize the issue if more people notify them about it.

2.) Is it possible you're not seating it properly before torquing down on it? I would at least examine it closer and make sure before returning it over that issue. I tried to screw mine in hastily and was met with the same issue.

I contacted LifeProof too.

I tried all sorts of things (fast, slow, turning it backwards a bit to make sure the threads are aligned). It seemed like it went all the way in a few times, but sound was still coming out of the phone speakers, suggesting that the headphone jack was not in.

After some struggling I was at least able to get the jack cover back in all the way.

sealos

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
I would also try reaching out to them on their Facebook page. Seems like they are a little more responsive amongst their fans.

brettm1103

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
Just got mine in yesterday, exchanged it for a new one last night. The first one I had some weird noise coming from the ear speaker and the proximity sensor was not working properly. The second one I have is a bit better, but I find it harder to type. The layer over the screen is not flush. Do you guys notice the back of the phone vibrating a lot when music is playing?

Im having the same experience. Ive already exchanged the first one at best buy and the second one is just as bad. I contacted Lifeproof and they are mailing me a replacement but did not say what is causing the high pitch noise in the ear speaker. The back cover is also vibrating when music is playing or when a txt or call comes through. The first one i had did not do that. Hopefully lifeproof will figure these issues out.

STL

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2011
Same here...

iPhone5 the LifeProof emitting an intermittent ear-splitting high pitched whine...

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Well, what do you expect with a name like "LifeProof?" The case prevents you to use the phone while living your life, like making phone calls, typing a text message ;)

Kidding aside, I was looking for a case to use while kayaking - currently I use a ziplock bag. LifeProof sounds like a good choice, but for close to $100 I can't justify it if it drive me nut to use the iPhone in it while not kayaking.

icecrystal23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
My replacement from Best Buy has a much better headphone port.

Yet to see about the high pitched noise. I don't use it as a phone too much.

pete630

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2012
Lifeproof fre problem

Got my Lifeproof iPhone 5 case the first day Best Buy got them in. Found our the next day that the proximity sensor didn't work right. My display was staying on when the iPhone was against my ear then and I'd mute callers constantly. I called Lifeproof, after waiting for 20 mins on hold, a rep came on and took down my info, promising to get an answer to me when he knew how the company would deal with the problem. Rather than wait, I returned the defective case to BB and got a new one. This one works sometimes and I notice that if I put pressure just to the left of the speaker and put another finger by the proximity sensor everything works as expected. I suspect that the iPhone display's light is reflecting back on the proximity sensor. If anyone can confirm the malfunction or gets a resolution from Lifeproof please post. I also had little bit of a problem with the headphone screw. But it does seat and seals well, just really tight.

Mvp1628

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
The issue that I have is with Siri. Every time I try to use Siri the screen goes dark like I am putting it up to my ear. I'm sure this is related to the proximity sensor issue others have discussed. I also cannot end calls.

icecrystal23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
High pitched noise is still there.
I also have the Newton rings / rainbow effect way worse than I did with the iPhone 4....

Wondering if it is worth being LifeProof with all these issues... Do you guys think they will resolve the issues in a timely manner? Or should I find an alternate waterproof solution for now?

Mspris1997

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
I bought my lifeproof when it was first released by best buy. Mine had the vibrating sound on the back panel.
2nd had issues trying to end a call. I couldnt get it to end no matter how much i touched and pressed.
Returned it to Best Buy, went back to the Otter Box, Now Issue free an my iphone works perfectly.

My husband ha one too and his screen goes black even when trying to text and end call. Going to return this one too!
Does anyone think that the construction feels cheaply made????

Jizzles

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
I'm surprised that the company hasn't said anything about these issues with their new case. I really wanted one too and it's a shame that there are so many defects.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
There is an updated case. The better ones have a white foam strip on the back. I have the other one. Will replace it when the business dies down. I loved my iPhone 4 case. They will get over the growing pains soon. Be patient.

icecrystal23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
I wish i could test one in person. feel its a bit too protective and there has to be some sort of compromise on sensitivity right? but if its really as slim as it is in pictures with that level of protection itd be the perfect case to go boarding with

The iPhone 4 case was awesome for boarding.

I am going to try the version 2 case and hope I can love it.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Yea having the same issues on mine.

Mine has the foam on the back panel also and still seem to be getting that weird buzzing when I'm on a call.

Not sure if they sent out a new version yet.

icecrystal23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Got the Gen 2 version today and, man, it is WAY better. The screen cover sits more flush, the Newton rings aren't as bad, and no issues with phone calls (yet) or speakerphone.

I am glad LifeProof is still awesome!

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Got the Gen 2 version today and, man, it is WAY better. The screen cover sits more flush, the Newton rings aren't as bad, and no issues with phone calls (yet) or speakerphone.

I am glad LifeProof is still awesome!

If I were you I would have a conversation with someone for about 5-10minutes and ask them how you sound. Also see if you get the proximity buzzing when on a call.

I just returned the one I had and got a new one at best buy and my gf said I sounded pretty bad. So i'll wait a few weeks and see if they have a better model out.

icecrystal23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
If I were you I would have a conversation with someone for about 5-10minutes and ask them how you sound. Also see if you get the proximity buzzing when on a call.

I just returned the one I had and got a new one at best buy and my gf said I sounded pretty bad. So i'll wait a few weeks and see if they have a better model out.

I had a 20 minute conversation to test the case since the first two had some issues. This one worked great. I tested both the earpiece and the speakerphone.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
I had a 20 minute conversation to test the case since the first two had some issues. This one worked great. I tested both the earpiece and the speakerphone.

Do you know the model number by chance?

Should be on the back on the bottom right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.