Light Leak, 4G touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Kyle4, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Kyle4 macrumors 6502

On the right side of the device, easily seen in the dark with the brightness cranked is a small light leak out of the side of the device. Looking at it closer it doesn't look like the bezel is detached from the side but it's irritating while watching movies in the dark. It's more noticeable at different angles. Is this something worth taking it back for? I found this thread where several others apparently seem to be having the same issue. The pictures of this guy's leaks are similar to where mine is.

http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310621

My screen is in great condition, everything's working so far and by returning it I may get a worse unit, would you exchange it?

2. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1011083

Read through that one there.
    General point though: Just get it replaced.
    And yes, I would get mine replaced if it happened to me. I'm not paying for premium Apple products just to get something with a manufacturing defect.

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Definitely get it replaced, not just for what the flaw is, but also for the fact that it will eventually let dust inside the device that you will see sitting on top of the display (it happened to me on my 2G touch as well as the replacement I got for said touch).

4. Kyle4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the link, guess I'll be heading back tomorrow. Hopefully the new one is perfect. My leak is nearly identical to this picture:

[​IMG]

5. bradford88 macrumors newbie

This also happened to my 2G touch. if it happens it to my 4G, they can have it back. they wont like the inscription i put on it though haha.

"I came on Steve Jobs' face
    and all I got was a lousy 8GB"

i keep it in a case so i just wanted to put something funny on it

6. weenerdog macrumors member

7. Kyle4 thread starter macrumors 6502

I exchanged it for a new one no problems today but this one has two small specks of dust residing underneath the display that resemble stuck/dead pixels with it turned on. I'm getting very frustrated here, especially because I had to return three first gen touches for 6+ dead pixels on each unit, eventually holding off until this gen. It's as if I wasn't supposed to have one of these.

Edit: I called FS and told them there were two stuck pixels, the guy (who did the light leak exchange) said that was unacceptable on a brand new product, apologized for my luck and said to come back to exchange it when they get more in two days from now. Bad batch perhaps?

8. sambow87 macrumors newbie

The light leakage from the buttons is now spreading. The border is coming apart more than what it was a couple of days ago. I now have a very visible strip about an inch long near the buttons.

Time to return.

9. Discostu7 macrumors member

Same Issue

I too have a light leak issue except mine is on the left side near the volume buttons. You can see 3 light leaks. I already took this into the Apple Store and the Genius Bar guy ordered me a new one. Unfortunately I didn't get a replacement on the spot because they were completely out of stock of the 32GB iPod Touches so now I have to wait for the next shipment to come in.

Apple has been very good replacing items under warranty. I have no complaints with them.

10. GekiRed macrumors regular

I hope this isn't going to affect all future iPod Touches as I'm importing one from the US and I don't want to ship it back there even though I can register it in the UK for the 1-year guarantee purposes.

11. wootwootman macrumors member

if this were to happen on the one i ordered from amazon, would i have to return it to amazon or apple? im assuming ship to amazon

12. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

13. Link2999 macrumors 6502

Mine has a slight yellow tint. I'm thinking I should just live with it now after hearing reports of dead pixels, light leakage, dust under screens, clicking when recording video, mushy home buttons, etc. Yellow tint isn't bad at all compared to this stuff and it may even go away (if it's due to the glue residue).

14. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

Alright... I wish I could take pictures, but my isight cam does not pick up the leakage.

I have 1 (about 1" long) exactly where the volume buttons are and 1 on the opposite side towards the bottom.

The one near the volume buttons, I can always see. The one on the other side only with brightness at 100% and at a certain angle.

I'm not returning the ipT4 because of the leakage. That does not bother me.

I'm a little more concerned with battery life and certain apps freezing and quitting.

15. ace198 macrumors regular

Yeah I have the light leak on mine as well. Kind of disappointed seeing it as I bought it only 2 hours ago. :mad:

16. DoctorSubmarine macrumors newbie

Found a tiny one on mine, but I won't return unless it gets significantly worse. I haven't had any of the other problems that people have described, so I can't complain.

By the way, apparently this has happened with every touch model since the beginning, and ifixit says that, for this reason, the screen is glued on to the glass, so dust can't get over it. No reason to fret, unless the light gets really annoying.

17. fwoppers macrumors member

The more that I read about how common the problem is, and how minimal the effect is (on mine [pictured above], I'd bet that some are worse off though), I'm thinking that I should just stick with this and cut my losses, considering that this is my only flaw with this. I don't want to take mine back and get one that has volume, button, screen, AND light-leak problems. :p

18. ace198 macrumors regular

Mine is like the picture above. I don't know if I should bring it back to Apple or Target(where I bought it). I always used my old 3rd generation iPod Touch but never in the dark. The leak could get worse from normal wear & tear though.

19. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Dammit. I just checked and yeah I have leakage on the left side. It's about 3/4" strip of leakage, not just a short spec. Do you think this will be difficult to talk to apple about in terms of a replacement/refund? I might try to get one at Best Buy instead - got a GC I could use.

eh screw it, after reading Doctorsub's post over, that's true, I was afraid of the dust issue. But since that's not really an issue anymore, no big. I didn't notice the leakage until I turned brightness up and all lights out.

20. ace198 macrumors regular

It seems like a lot of people have the problem. Wonder what Jobs will say? :rolleyes:

21. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Duct tape. :rolleyes:

22. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

My 32gb 4-gen also has a small light leak near the volume buttons.

I only noticed while checking a message late last night. I suspect most of the new ipod touches have some degree of light leakage with the backlight turned up when viewed in a dark room. I don't see any reason to return it.

23. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

You're holding it wrong? (keep a thumb over the light leak. :p). LOL

24. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

Good thing the lcd is fused to the glass so no dust can get in like in the 2G. My 2g hasa like 25 specks of dust underneath the screen but alas, i couldn't find 300 dollars plus tax under my couch; only about $3.45.

25. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

I think I see a light leaking on the center right too, but it's really small, and less bright than the Kyle4's pic, and can be only seen from the center angle.