Lightening Cable - Who Makes One Same Size As Apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by agpatel, Sep 20, 2013.

1. agpatel macrumors member

Why is it that no 3rd party manufacture has made a lightening cable the same size as the Apple? It is a technical issue? If anyone knows of a 3rd party cable, that is approved, with the same connector size that would be much appreciated.

2. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

how about this BELKIN

3. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

You can see instantly that's a larger connector when you look at the photo.

4. chabig macrumors 68040

What are you after in a Lightning cable? Different color? Different length?

5. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

Did you read his post - he said he is after a cable with the same "connector size".

Most are larger than apples, which can cause problems with some cases and accessories.

6. chabig macrumors 68040

I want to know what he is trying to achieve by buying a third-party cable.

7. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Probably wants to pay less.

8. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

The usual answer is 'all the features and benefits of the apple xxx without the apple price' aka best of both. For belkin et al, there's little point in making a competing cable unless it can be cheaper, so they will make it as good (small in this case) as the target price point allows.

9. chabig macrumors 68040

The real Apple cable is $19. If you know the "fake" cables aren't exactly right, then why bother chasing $5-$10 savings by putting your $500 phone at risk?

10. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

6ft Apple cables are $30 not $19, plus only in white vs black which blends better in a car you leave the cable in even when taking your phone with you.

Shortest Apple cable is .5m not 4-6" which are more convenient for some situations

The micro usb to lightning (not lightening, which is a wholly different thing!) adapter is intriguing though, potentially solving any case compatibility problems.

12. agpatel thread starter macrumors member

I am hoping to find one that I can get in ~6 ft length, and also ~3 foot length, black cable would be preferable but not a must. Also like for it to cost less then Apple, I now they sell a 2m size now but also like to see what else is out there.

I have a graft concepts case for my 5s, the RND cable i bought from Amazon does not fit the opening, hoping Monoprice may possible. But when I was looking around I could not find a single cable manufacture that has a connector housing size the same as Apple.

13. chabig macrumors 68040

Thanks for answering that. Did you know Apple sells them in both 1m and 2m lengths? They're still pricey and white, but they are "official".

14. agpatel thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I know they have the 2m and 1m cables and if I could not find anything else I will end up getting those. Was hoping for black cables and possibly spend less. With my 30pin cables I had 2x 6ft (one by the bed and one in my travel bag) and 2x 3ft (one at work and one in the car).

15. fraktur, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013

fraktur macrumors member

iSmooth

I'm still waiting for my 5S to come in but I have a Graft Concepts i5 case waiting for it along with a 6ft iSmooth lightning cable that seems to fit the opening fine. Yet to test the quality of the cable with the phone as it hasn't arrived but it but I can report back on Thursday.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-USB-Lightning-Cable-6ft/dp/B00CYXYC32/

Attached Files:

16. thadoggfather, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013

thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

That one looks great, but I'd prefer one same size, 6 feet long, *AND* MFI certified so it doesn't get screwed over if I ever update to iOS 7. Because you're using this with a 5s that has iOS 7 pre-loaded, it may not work.

I have a mono price but it doesn't fit my bumper is my main complaint. Actually my only complaint, I don't mind a bit more thickness but if it gets in the way no good.

17. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

That's because apple measures the cord length in meters. Most (american) companies measure cable length in feet/inches.

18. agpatel thread starter macrumors member

I am not talking about length of cable, but the physical casing the lightening connector is placed in, the overall size of the connector is larger on every 3rd party (MFi) cable I have seen, and mose case companies have made there opening just fit the Apple cables.

19. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

this ONE is by Apple and only $19.00 or you can get THIS for a cheaper price.

20. blhoward2 macrumors 6502

Actually, that's a knock-off cable. (The alleged Apple one.) Amazon doesn't seem to care if you sell knock-offs. I honest-to-God got knock-off shampoo the other day (it was a different color) and Amazon just refunded the price. It was even fulfilled by Amazon. The seller is still up and they are still fulfilling orders.

21. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Monoprice actually lists the dimensions of the connector on their cables so if you've got a ruler you can compare it with Apple's yourself.

22. agpatel thread starter macrumors member

Just go the Monoprice cable in today and looks like good quality but still does not fit the Graft case. Looks like I will purchase the Apple 2m cable till some of the other venders possibly, if ever, make cables the same connector size as apple or I can use the ones I got with other cases.

23. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

Hmmm. Never thought amazon will allow a vendor to sell fake apple acc on their site. I need to be careful now. Thanks for the input.

24. Giuly, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Fork over $19 at the Apple Store of your choice and call it a day?

25. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

Got this at a gas station for $5 its 10 foot long and works perfect.

[​IMG]