Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today marks 10 years since Apple introduced the iPhone 5 with an all-new Lightning connector, which replaced the previous 30-pin dock connector that originated on the iPod. Apple's former marketing chief Phil Schiller described Lightning as a "modern connector for the next decade," and this milestone has now been achieved.

iPhone-5-Lightning.jpg

iPhone 14 models remain equipped with a Lightning connector, but Apple is widely expected to switch to USB-C for iPhone 15 models next year.

Apple already offers USB-C ports on every Mac and nearly every iPad that it sells, along with the Studio Display, Pro Display XDR, some Beats headphones, and a few other accessories. Rumors suggest the upcoming 10th-generation entry-level iPad will also adopt USB-C, followed by AirPods charging cases and the MagSafe Battery Pack next year.

In June, the European Union announced that it reached an agreement to introduce a new law that would make USB-C the common charging port across all new smartphones, tablets, headphones, and many other electronics by fall 2024. iPhone 15 models are expected to launch around September 2023, ahead of the European Union's deadline.

While the Lightning cable was the first reversible charging cable, USB-C has become a very popular charging standard across a countless number of devices. A major benefit of USB-C for the iPhone would be faster data transfer speeds, as Lightning on the iPhone 13 and earlier tops out at 480 Mbps, while USB-C can achieve up to 5 to 10 Gbps depending on the spec, or even up to 40 Gbps if the iPhone supported Thunderbolt 3.

Article Link: Lightning Connector Turns 10 Today as iPhone Rumored to Adopt USB-C Next Year

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
I think I remember about maybe 4-5 years ago the rumor was that Apple was dropping the Lightning connector. How do you know when a rumored prediction is really going to happen?

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
"For the next decade" is just a thing you say. It was never meant to be firm. They could have switched after 5 years or they could wait for another few years more from now.

That is, unless the EU or China force them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wackery

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Biggest disappointment on the 14 series is lack of USB-C!

Lets have ProRes video, and 48 Megapixel cameras, but keep 10yo IO.. Brilliant!

That said, the 13 pro isn't terrible with regards to IO, but I do notice how much faster my iPad mini 6 is with regards to mass file copy activity through the physical port.

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014

That said, the 13 pro isn't terrible with regards to IO, but I do notice how much faster my iPad mini 6 is with regards to mass file copy activity through the physical port.
Could be worse...they could have gone portless. Yeah, that's just what I want - trying to move a terabyte of content over wifi sync....

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Apple's former marketing chief Phil Schiller described Lightning as a "modern connector for the next decade,"

Good. Time for retirement.

Lightning was a VAST improvement over 30-pin and mini-USB, but it's time to move on to USB-C. In some ways Lightning may still be superior to USB-C but the market has spoken.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA

I agree. While the iPhone had a lot of various improvements, the fact that you have such a powerful smartphone for video/photography usage without a decent connectivity option like USB-C, is pretty bad. ;)

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011

Today marks 10 years since Apple introduced the iPhone 5 with an all-new Lightning connector, which replaced the previous 30-pin dock connector that originated on the iPod. Apple's former marketing chief Phil Schiller described Lightning as a "modern connector for the next decade," and this milestone has now been achieved.

iPhone-5-Lightning.jpg

iPhone 14 models remain equipped with a Lightning connector, but Apple is widely expected to switch to USB-C for iPhone 15 models next year.

Apple already offers USB-C ports on every Mac and nearly every iPad that it sells, along with the Studio Display, Pro Display XDR, some Beats headphones, and a few other accessories. Rumors suggest the upcoming 10th-generation entry-level iPad will also adopt USB-C, followed by AirPods charging cases and the MagSafe Battery Pack next year.

In June, the European Union announced that it reached an agreement to introduce a new law that would make USB-C the common charging port across all new smartphones, tablets, headphones, and many other electronics by fall 2024. iPhone 15 models are expected to launch around September 2023, ahead of the European Union's deadline.

While the Lightning cable was the first reversible charging cable, USB-C has become a very popular charging standard across a countless number of devices. A major benefit of USB-C for the iPhone would be faster data transfer speeds, as Lightning on the iPhone 13 and earlier tops out at 480 Mbps, while USB-C can achieve up to 5 to 10 Gbps depending on the spec, or even up to 40 Gbps if the iPhone supported Thunderbolt 3.

Article Link: Lightning Connector Turns 10 Today as iPhone Rumored to Adopt USB-C Next Year
I wish Apple would have 1-upped the European Union by submitting Lightning to the standardization orgs and opened it to everybody. That way Apple could keep using it without being accused of being a monopolizer. Lightning also could have been updated to the newest specs for speed.

Lightning is a very robust connector, if I drop my phone while it is still plugged in, the Lightning plug and my phone will survive without getting damaged. Many other ports and phones wiukd get bent all out of shape if dropped while plugged in.

Last edited:

Skyscraperfan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
Actually Apple was heavily involved in the development of the newer USB standards and the USB-C plug which Apple already uses for Thunderbolt.

Reactions: danielsutton

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
Apple has really pushed it too far. A lot of people have other apple products like macbooks and ipads as well and having this outdated port is a major annoyance now.

Usually I don't support such government arm-twisting but now I would actually be glad to have the EU government knock some sense into Apple.

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
Good. Time for retirement.

Lightning was a VAST improvement over 30-pin and mini-USB, but it's time to move on to USB-C. In some ways Lightning may still be superior to USB-C but the market has spoken.

I love USB-C for connecting my computer to four displays, disk drives, flight yoke/throttles, Stream Deck etc. I might connect/disconnect them at most a dozen times (likely less) per year. The loads of bandwidth available for displays and drives is essential.

My iPhone is a much different story. Somehow I've managed to get by and survive not being able to transfer data to/from it at multi-gigabit/sec rates. I do appreciate the mechanical robustness of the connectors and connections when it comes time to charge.

HackMacDaddy

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2019
It will be a very sad day if all EU iPhones receive USB-C while US/Canada go portless. Just like they did with the SIM tray 😂

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.