Lightning to 30-pin Adapter = Piece of Crap!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by noah82, Oct 10, 2012.

1. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

I finally got my Lightning to 30-pin adapter in. I put it on my iHome alarm clock so I can finally charge my iPhone 5 on my nightstand.

The first thing that I noticed about it is that my phone is crazy high in the dock and it looks like it is going to tip over the back. No bueno.

The biggest problem with it though is that when I pull my phone out of the dock, the adapter comes right out with it. The only way to get it out of the dock cleanly is to hold the adapter with one hand and lift the phone out with the other hand. The first thing that I reach for in the morning is my phone, so this is going to be extremely inconvenient.

I will certainly buy a Lightning compatible iHome once they are released, but judging by all of the news, we'd be lucky to see one before Christmas!

Anybody else get their adapter today and hate it?

2. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

sell your ihome and buy an appletv. stream everything. home stereo speakers are a million times better than a little speaker setup.

3. skidbubble macrumors 6502

I'm wondering if it is going to create issues because it is sticking up so tall. If it is going to cause leverage and undue stress on the iHome (male) connector?

4. noah82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

noah82

Do you use your Apple TV as an alarm clock and to charge your iPhone at night? I must have bought the wrong model!!

5. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Yes, actually. :D

6. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

Airport express $99
    Cyber Acoustics 3206 $45
    Total $144

My last Phillips clock was $120. With this setup I won't have anymore compatibility issues.

Attached Files:

7. noah82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

noah82

8. RVdave macrumors member

Roll over again Steve, it ain't getting better. The only good news coming out of Apple seems to be the mega-millions being paid to the brass. If it's any consolation, Apple isn't the first company to have the distinction of enriching those who contributed the least, or those who contributed and now are interested in only themselves.

9. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

actually yea i do. doesnt charge it but thats what the charging cable is for. i listen to music before bed. Then the timer goes off in the morning and plays louder. most the time i just use the alarm clock on my phone. its plenty loud.

10. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

What did you expect? No, really. Please enlighten us to what alternate universe that you were in being unable to understand how it would work just by looking at the thing...

Oh no! :(

#firstworldproblems :rolleyes:

11. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

Ok, so you are trying to Jerry-rig (retro-fit) your IP5 with a IP4 dock and its the adapters fault?

Adapters are generally just that, band-aids if you will. I own a Audio/Visual rental company. And if I ever see one of my employees use an adapter on a cable (say RCA to 1/4" or Cat5 coupler), there better be a damn good reason for it.

Point being is don't blame the adapter. You knew that the IP5 had a different connector when you purchased it. And the ONLY reason the adapters are made are band-aids to interface with mainly 3rd party equipment. A few years from now everything "i" will be lighting based, and these adapters will be a thing of the past.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This thread pretty much describes exactly how I pictured these adapters working the moment I heard about them.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well said.
    Its a temp solution and expected not to work, fit or function just like a regural plug.

14. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

FYI I opted for the Airplay route to future proof. Here's the backside view with the Airport.

Attached Files:

15. noah82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

noah82

This would not be an issue had Apple posted the Lightning specifications months ago so that manufacturers could produce products at the iPhone 5 launch. Since they did not do this, the adapter is the ONLY solution out there.

They could have made it wider so it fit lower, but they didn't. They could have made it lock onto the 30 pin cable so it didn't pull out when you lifted the phone out, but they didnt.

Instead of defending Apple to the death, just admit that they screwed up on this one.

16. noah82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

noah82

Dude, get a life. This whole site is full of first world problems. Do you really think that they are bitching about the new ATT Mobile Share plans in Uganda?

17. skidbubble macrumors 6502

So not only is the iPhone5 not backwards compatible with accessories, the adaptor, which is intended to be the solution isn't compatible either?

Ell oh ell

What a joke. And Apple is laughing all the way to the bank because they know people are going to replace their accessories with Lightning compatible accessories and Apple gets a cut of every accessory sold.

18. aztooh macrumors 6502a

I imagine that there will be a...'sleeve' if you will...that the bottom of the phone fits into for support so the tiny lightning male plug isn't supporting the entire device on its own. Or at least some sort of back-plate.

19. nutmac, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  20. knux11 macrumors regular

not understanding how ANYONE realistically thought this would go any other way. Didn't even need to see the adapter. you had to buy one and use it to figure out the phone wouldn't fit like the old model and looked like it would tip over? seriously?

And THAT makes the adapter a piece of crap?

I assumed it was common knowledge the adapter wasn't for things like vertical docks. Just seems elementary.

On a side note, I find it funny that everyone's in an uproar about changing the connector after 10 years. Android went from mini usb to micro usb after what, 1 year?

21. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

yea im going to get an adapter not for anything that will dock because obviously it will look horrible and wont work well. I will use it for my car connection. Thats the only thing it should be used for.

22. knux11 macrumors regular

yeah that and possibly charging at a secondary location (like ppl who keep an extra cord at work) are really the only good alternatives.

23. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Let me get this straight.... apple is the worst company in the world and money hungry and going to go under soon because an adapter for outdated technology doesn't stay on the dock you plug it into. lol.

24. monkor macrumors regular

Would have expected far less of a dickwad response from a Beaver fan

25. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

My only issue and disappointment is that the lightning connector on adapter ends flush with the wide 30 pin part so my iphone 5 in its case doesnt fit. A regular lightning cable works fine because the cut out on the case is made for the small connector's plastic base. so the main reason for buying the adapter is now useless unless i buy a different case. oh well.. $29 wasted.