Likelihood we will get to pre-order the WHITE iPhone 4 TOMORROW?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobbytallant, Jul 19, 2010.

1. bobbytallant macrumors 6502

The iPhone 4 White is due to 'ship' at the end of the month. For this to work without a pre-order system is unlikely. Particularly given that Apple has already said that they (the white version) will be available in limited quantities.

That being said, if the pre-order system is in place like it was for the black and probably will be for the white - we should start to see this this week.

Tomorrow has been talked about on these forums as the earliest instance this could happen, and if so, this will probably take the shape of a 4.00am ET release like the black.

Has anyone else pegged tomorrow morning as a likely date/time for the pre-orders to start for the white? Or will it be Thursday? Or no pre-orders at all even? :eek:

How likely is that this time tomorrow we will all be complaining about the lack of availability of the white iPhone and how unstable the Apple Store was etc. lol?

2. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure it was 4AM ET. But yeah I'm hoping this is the case, and hopefully only macrumor people attempt to preorder so it will be easy to do so.

3. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

there will be no unannounced preorder period.

if there are going to be preorders taken, it would've been stated at friday's conference.

4. fishmoose macrumors 68000

5. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

if you want the white one you'll have to stand in line for it like some saps did for the release of "The Phantom Menace"

6. xqb4dpx macrumors member

this is probably the real deal. still gonna check at 4am though.

7. Stein357 macrumors 6502

8. dvrmstrng macrumors 6502

damn, i thought it was going to be more likely than not.

9. xqb4dpx macrumors member

I just think Steve would have announced it if it was gonna happen. He would have bragged about it if he could. But still, lets hope.

10. emkwan macrumors regular

emkwan

Would this theoretically apply for the UK too?

11. dvrmstrng macrumors 6502

if there is no pre-order what does that mean...arrive at a apple store on the 30th by what time?

12. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

13. xLucky7 macrumors newbie

It can work without a pre-order system. Why preorder when you can already buy an iPhone 4?

Pre-order was in place for the Black iPhone 4 because it was being released. Since its already released, there's really no need for there to be a pre-order. Why pre-order something when you can already buy it lol..

Just because you hear something on a forum doesn't mean its true. These people know as much (or little) as you do.

The likelihood of being able to pre-order tomorrow will be the same likelihood of being able to pre-order today...

14. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

highly doubtful. i think it will just be available for order on the website on the day they are available in-store. its not a new product just a color so the likelihood of a pre-order just for a color is pretty slim to none.

15. macmedal macrumors regular

It is not so much a pre order but an actual order, it is possible that you may be able to order from tomorrow for shipping by end of July then again ordering may not start until end of July with the lucky few getting immediate shipment then the dates start slipping like the black phone. It may also be limited to the US initially. I have waited this long so I will keep on waiting until it's available, but I am not waiting in line at a store this time... Lifes too short and I have been iPhoneless for 7 weeks so what's a few more weeks...

16. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Stop with your useless and unwarranted rumors.
    Post this after you know for sure.
    You are the type of person ruining this forum.

Where in the **** do you get times like 5.00pm est? Seriously get a life man.

17. bobbytallant thread starter macrumors 6502

Well thanks for that. :eek:

But yes I guess it's a slightly different story this year as the colors have been staggered (accidentally or not) and I do appreciate that it would be, I suppose, 'normal' to get a heads up for the pre-order date.

But I guess I am thinking along the lines of that;

1. it is more likely than not that there will be a pre-order system in place (rather than just a release on 31st July)

and

2. if that is the case - then it will be this week when that begins.

They are leaving it late to 'announce' a pre-order date and I just think it will pop up on the site tomorrow morning at 4AM ET (not 5AM as I thought - I am in the UK so was trying to accommodate I guess!).

I think for Steve to make a big deal over its release (which he hasn't) would be kind of inappropriate as it is a manufacturing fault that it has been delayed, i.e. it shouldn't be celebrated that it is being released at an upcoming date so everyone get excited about that date - so it just appearing out of the blue would, for me, seem more fitting/likely.

18. TIMBACK macrumors member

TIMBACK

It will NEVER just show up in the store, it will definitely be pre-ordered. This is to stop people from returning the black for white.
    Just think about it, when you order online you have to go thru the process with ATT and must qualify, if you go to the store to return and re-buy your qualifying will not show for at least a week. Thats my 2cents.

19. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Incorrect.
    Supposedly it is immediate.

20. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

I can say with unerring accuracy that the answer to your question is 50/50.

21. bobbytallant thread starter macrumors 6502

Ouch. :confused:

Where the hell did that come from?

Thought it was topical and warranted given the gap between tomorrow's date and the purported to ship date of the iPhone 4 White (given the gap between such dates for the black release).

People have responded constructively and it would appear people are interested in the subject.

22. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Came from my fed up mind.
    You are making things up. Simple as that.

Its the 19th, all we know is it may or may not be available at then end of the month and rumors suggest they are having a hard time with the glass and paint construction.

You dont know so dont say **** like this:
    "we should start to see this this week."
    "this will probably take the shape of a 5.00am ET"

23. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

I doubt you'll see a pre-order.

Steve admitted the supply was going to low at the press conference. It's much better for Apple to have long lines (publicity), than a silent cluster-*******. Otherwise the pre-orders would account for all the phones and no one would be in the stores on its launch.

My guess is the 28th or 29th (thursday and friday) as I wouldn't expect it to release on a weekend. Either way I expect it being just as difficult, maybe more, as the black beauty to get your hands on one the day it is released. Yes 3 million already have one, however with demand as high as it is, combined with the shortage, I see long lines.

Better get your tent up now.

Blonde Buddhist

24. hryan4740 macrumors regular

hryan4740

Calm your nerves a little and don't be so rude. This is a RUMORS site after all. You don't know either, and the OP is SPECULATING based on previous data. Jeez.

25. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

He should read around first instead of making things up.

I think that it will come out as late as possible due to :
    "According to a project feasibility report published by Lens in 2006, its glass manufacturing process involves the following steps: developing the tooling, cutting the raw material (mainly sourced from Germany, Switzerland and Japan), fine-milling using CNC (computed numerically controlled) machines, sanding the edges, polishing, strengthening, cleaning, coating, screen printing, baking, anti-shatter treatment, assembling, and packaging. Yeah, pretty tedious. Now, a worker from Lens' quality control department has allegedly admitted that the company's screen-printing workshop may currently be dealing with some issues with the white iPhone 4 covers. Specifically, the factory's still working out the perfect combination of paint thickness and opacity -- the former to ensure the next sub-contractor has enough clearance for the digitizer overlay"

"Even if Apple does deliver the new batch of phones on the promised date, what about meeting the potential huge demand? According to industry sources, Lens' current production capacity only meets half of Apple's demand, thus becoming a major bottleneck for the entire iPhone 4 production pipeline."
    Credit:Engaget ( http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/18/white-iphone-4-delay-the-challenges-faced-by-apples-glass-supp/ )