Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several forum users have reported that that they have been told by various resellers that iMac availability is currently limited. Meanwhile, another user reports that their orders for 20" iMacs have been unexpectedly delayed:
This certainly falls in the realm of speculation, but I ordered a number of baseline 20" iMacs for work, with no custom configuration, and I've had my order delayed for a week, followed by this message today:

"Due to an unexpected delay, we are unable to ship the following item(s) by the date that you were originally quoted:

MB324LL/A, IMAC 20/2.66/2GB/320GB/SD-USA will now ship on or before Feb 05, 2009"
AppleInsider was able to confirm from their reseller sources that supply of Apple's iMacs are indeed "constrained" for the immediate future. The rumor site believe that this means that new models are nearing production.
Apple is said to have braced its partners for limited availability of the remainder of the iMac line in the coming weeks, a sign which this late in the product's life-cycle "only means one thing" -- namely that the company is drawing down inventory levels ahead of new models.
Reseller supplies tend to be rather crude in predicting product revisions, but the many have expected iMac revisions early in 2009.

Article Link: Limited iMac Availability Suggests Possible Refresh

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
$999 3.00 Ghz Dual core
$1299 2.33 Ghz Quad Core
$1549 2.66 Ghz Quad Core
$1899 2.83 Quad Core

price point will be sweet (stole the idea from refurbished mac section) but not sure whether LED display will allow these price point
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...deals/mac/imac

Interested
-----------
Quad Core CPU
Desktop componenet
Better and latest GPU
LED backlit Display
DVI and Mini Display Port
2GB RAM standard

Not interested
------------------
Blu Ray

inventory low is the first sign of new iMac, hopefully with in few weeks ...

fcb

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
There was also a bunch of speculation about a possible Superbowl ad.

25 years since 1984 ad ....

I'm ready to upgrade my G4 iMac desklamp ...... it's been a great machine ...

Icestorm815

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
Well, It's called MacRumors for a reason... ;) I'll believe it when I see it. I don't think that a reduced stock is something get all hyped up about. Remember when we all thought there might be a Apple TV refresh when they had to pull down all the advertisement? Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see! Hopefully I'm wrong! :D

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY
There was also a bunch of speculation about a possible Superbowl ad.

25 years since 1984 ad ....

With the economy the way it is I doubt any thing big will happen. Apple hasn't done a complete wow since the G5 iMac. Some would argue from the G4 iMac Desklamp

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
With the economy the way it is I doubt any thing big will happen. Apple hasn't done a complete wow since the G5 iMac. Some would argue from the G4 iMac Desklamp

also I think advertisers for the superbowl are pretty public, so I think the story would have come out before now.

arn

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Bring em on.

Nice to see these machines are getting upgraded. Maybe a strategy to keep the media off Steve's health.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
also I think advertisers for the superbowl are pretty public, so I think the story would have come out before now.

arn

I don't know how different things are today than in 1983, but I remember hearing that back then Apple was able to fly under the radar with their airtime purchase by buying it through a third party.

I'm guessing it could be done in theory, but in practice there's too many middle men nowadays that would probably leak the news somewhere along the line. At the very least, you'd think there would have been rumors of a commercial being filmed.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
The ENTIRE desktop lineup needs a refresh.

- iMac last updated in April 2008
- Mac Pro last updated in January 2008
- Mac mini last updated in August 2007

MrPlywood

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2006
I'm ready to buy. The Tangerine is barely holding on! I would like to see a matte screen option, but it's not a deal breaker.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
what is the cost difference between LED backlit and LCD display?

Will there be price drop if Apple moves with Desktop CPU (cheaper by $50 to $200) ???

iPaddy

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2009
I have my card ready.
I've memorised the details so that if I was away from my home computer, I could rush into an eCafe or college and buy!

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC

Same here.

BTW, what is "limited availability"? Either a store has a mac or it doesn't. If it doesn't, either they can order more or they can't. I don't get it--if a store doesn't have the model you want, why don't they just say "right now we can't reorder those machines from Apple, they seem to be on "backorder" or something."?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.