Lines and purchasing in CA Bay Area

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by John Musbach, Jul 13, 2008.

1. John Musbach macrumors regular

Hi, I was wondering ...how are the lines in the Bay Area? Are they calming down now? Are there any places that stand out with regards to a low number of people still waiting in line? I'm thinking of purchasing my iPhone 3G tomorrow at the emeryville Apple Store but might reconsider if there's still a line/supply concern...

2. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

3. guru_ck macrumors 6502

I got to Valley Fair in San Jose yesterday around 1PM and left around 4PM. They were serving waters and cookies though so it's all good.

4. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

Hey I might have saw you there! I went there to buy my mom a Louis Vuitton purse as a gift. I saw the line at Apple stretching to Nordstrom; nevermind I said =P

I got mine today, went to Stoneridge Mall (Pleasanton), arrived at 12:45pm, left there at 2:00pm with a working 16GB White iPhone:D

5. guru_ck macrumors 6502

Did you?

6. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

they are all long most likely in thebay area. the one in pleasonton and walnut creek were long

7. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

My friend went to the Emeryville store today and was bitterly disappointed to find that the lines were too long to consider waiting in. I'm lucky I didn't go with him.

And if Emeryville is packed, I can't imagine what the SF (Powell) store is like.

8. ZarkedOut macrumors newbie

Yesterday, in the Walnut Creek Apple Store. I got there at 11 AM and left at 5:30 PM with an iPhone. If you go, go later, because the lines die down as the day progresses.

9. dwreck macrumors member

The San Francisco store had a line around the block yesterday, halfway down O'Farrell. I went to the AT&T store on 3rd & Market (a block away), got in line at 11:10 AM and was out of the store by 12:15 PM with my new black 16 GB. I have a feeling that they were sold out by 1:30 or so; when I was in line they said they only had 50 left.

10. UWSpindoctor macrumors regular

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

This is all good to know, b/c I'm returning to the Bay Area on July 23, '08, after a really long vacation. I've got to pick-up the 3G 16GB White for the War Department, since I've got my 3G 16GB Black, here in Palm Springs. Hopefully, everything will be subsiding and we can just walk-in and walk-out and activate at home or in the parking lot...:p (according to the app WeatherBug, it's lookin' pretty sweet in the Bay Area). :cool:

12. VideoShooter macrumors regular

Palo Alto University store was taking about 1:15.

I wasn't willing to wait... But have made up numerous excuses to go be in downtown Palo Alto.

Every time I pass the store I ask someone at the front of the line. Today was the shortest at 1:15. I might try tomorrow @ 10 and continue to drive by on my way to/from work until the line in short enough to just do it and not feel silly. (no offense to anyone else)

13. hankuknamza macrumors newbie

14. jakeacc macrumors regular

anyone happen to know how big the lines are at the San Francisco Apple store today? (Tuesday)

15. jakeacc macrumors regular

I guess everyone in San Francisco now owns a iPhone........?? A coworker told me this morning that the line was about 3 hours long when the store opened. I wonder if it will be better or worse in the evening

16. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I can’t speak for Emeryville, but I checked the last two afternoons at Walnut Creek: good news, no line; bad news: no iPhone 3gs.

The online availability checker only gives you availability for the next day; I couldn’t get through on the phone to find out if they still had any during the day.

What a pain. Maybe I’ll reconsider the Blackberry. It occurred to me that if I ever had a problem with the phone, I’d never be able to get Apple to fix it, since all they do all day is sign up people for phones. Can you imagine what a nightmare it would be if you actually wanted to wander into a store and buy a computer? Sheesh.

17. agbot macrumors regular

Yesterday the line at the Apple Store in Stanford mall seemed about the same as it was on launch day.

18. AndroidSUCKS macrumors newbie

my observations while walking by SF Stockton street store to get to the muni stop:

7pm today and yesterday were the same. Line running about half a block up to the benetton store

SF Stockton @8am today had about 12-15 lined up the right side and 3-5 on the left side. doors were opened with security and apple employee blocking it ...

19. hankuknamza macrumors newbie

Seems like they are all sold out in emeryville, walnut creek, and san francisco. anybody know when these stores will get more shipments?? by any chance?

20. sportsfanMAW macrumors regular

21. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

It took me four hours on Saturday to get my iPhone at the Stonestown store, which is usually a "quiet" store. I would also try the Corte Madera store, although on Saturday they were out of 16GB models.

BTW, I was in Chicago and on Sunday and yesterday the line was around the corner (estimated time: 90 minutes). When I walked by the store last night at 8:45, the security guard was closing the line. So, no miracles on the Miracle Mile! :D

22. TimV macrumors member

Many Bay Area stores are completely sold out. I thought they were supposed to be getting shipments daily. I guess not.

23. dwreck macrumors member

There was actually a line to get in to the Apple store on Stockton yesterday even if you weren't buying an iPhone. Once inside, there were almost no salespeople on the floor...they were all signing people up for the iPhone.

I think this situation is actually bad for Apple...they certainly aren't selling many Macs right now, at least in the stores.

24. VeNoMiZeD macrumors 6502

The same APPLE store today had about 50-75 people in line around 9am. Not sure if the store was opening at 9 or 10.

25. jakeacc macrumors regular

So tonight, the Apple site says that the San Francisco store is out of 16 GB black iPhones. So does that mean DEFINITELY no 16 black models for tomorrow or could there be a possible shipment? I'm trying to get one by Friday before I go out of town.

And my current cellphone actually died today. (it was a cheap Verizon phone from 2005) So now I can't send or receive ANY calls until I get my iPhone.

I'm tempted to just stand in line and buy whatever model they have in stock and then exchange it in 2 weeks for a black 16 GB model. (I'm assuming that's allowed and no penalty, correct?)