Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
This could have simply been reported without any reference at all to "hackintoshes" or "create their own netbook Macs."

As it stands, it's now a discussion about piracy....

Gees, get a life man....

I wonder what kind of religious mind votes negative on a such news. If they bought the software, it's not piracy.

Just like it would not be piracy, if you mod a legally obtained OS 10.6 to work on PowerPC.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
The kernel is open source, so it's allowed (and encouraged).

But OS X is subject Apple's software license. Using an open source kernel to circumvent Apple's software license is still a violation of said software license.

If you bought OS X and you clicked your agreement with the EULA, and you're doing this, you're in violation. If you're downloading a modified copy of OS X via torrents, and you're doing this, you're in violation. You're hacking OS X to run on unauthorized Apple hardware, and in this case, MR is helping you do it by pointing you to the website that shows you how.

Gees, get a life man....

I wonder what kind of religious mind votes negative on a such news. If they bought the software, it's not piracy.

Just like it would not be piracy, if you mod a legally obtained OS 10.6 to work on PowerPC.

It's not piracy. But it is facilitating the circumvention of Apple's software license agreement. That's the sticking point here. Apple's EULA was recently upheld in court. In fact, it followed a long string of EULAs being upheld in court. Hackintosh users are in violation of Apple's software license. It's that simple. The reason Apple doesn't go after them is because it would be realistically unworkable. For now. Nothing preventing them from going after one or two individuals, however, in order to prove their point. This can happen at any time, subjective PR issues aside.

MR ignores the rules in this area, then what's next? I guarantee if I started to spout off obscenities at you and call you all kinds of names the mods would be on me like flies on ish. Or maybe not?

observer

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2007
You can take the BSD parts, modify them, and use them under Windows, or Linux, or whatever (if your Windows or Linux license allows it, nothing to do with Apple), but Apple's license doesn't allow you to combine the Apple-owned portions of MacOS X with changed BSD components.

This Atom hack feels more and more like copyright violation. What gets distributed? Is it a full patched copy of OSX, or a small patching routine? Since the OSX being patched doesn't run, what machine is the patching being done on?

Up to now, I've thought of hackintoshing as an interesting technical exercise, modifying your machine to make it capable of loading OSX. But I think this crosses a line. This is a lot more like forging a license key to run a copy of Windows.

If you care.

Bafflefish

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2009
But OS X is subject Apple's software license. Using an open source kernel to circumvent Apple's software license is still a violation of said software license.

If you bought OS X and you clicked your agreement with the EULA, and you're doing this, you're in violation. If you're downloading a modified copy of OS X via torrents, and you're doing this, you're in violation.
That's what I'm curious about. What, if any, obligations does Apple have towards the GPL in regards to the open source code they have utilized? (I guess, more clearly, can Apple's license agreement simply disregard any obligations to the GPL, if those obligations even exist?)

If the process that checks for CPU compatibility is purely of Apple's origin, than obviously it's Apple's right to do with as they please. But if it's code derived from open source software, wouldn't it potentially be legal to modify it?

Povilas

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2008
Lithuania
Oh, I do think that Apple doesn't like seeing OS X installed on such "low quality hardware", lol. I just find it absurd that people around here seem to bemoan and complain about the "piracy" they see occurring amongst the hackintosh crowd and yet, seem to not care much if Apple hardware owners pirate OS X, since they've purchased legitimate Apple hardware.

Last time I checked, piracy is piracy :p

Yes, piracy is piracy, but one way Apple sells hardware and hardware is their goal and other way they sell nothing because 99.99 of hacintoshes run hacked OS X from p2p or other sources.

I'm not arguing that part of Mac users do the same.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Yes, piracy is piracy, but one way Apple sells hardware and hardware is their goal and other way they sell nothing because 99.99 of hacintoshes run hacked OS X from p2p or other sources.

I'm not arguing that part of Mac users do the same.

Got any evidence to back that up?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
That's what I'm curious about. What, if any, obligations does Apple have towards the GPL in regards to the open source code they have utilized? (I guess, more clearly, can Apple's license agreement simply disregard any obligations to the GPL, if those obligations even exist?)

If the process that checks for CPU compatibility is purely of Apple's origin, than obviously it's Apple's right to do with as they please. But if it's code derived from open source software, wouldn't it potentially be legal to modify it?

if you have a copy of OS X, and you've made it run on unauthorized hardware, regardless of the means, you're in violation of the license agreement, open source kernel or not. I highly doubt you can compile OS X from scratch and customize it for unauthorized hardware. At some point you're going to run into code or functions that are critical to the system and which are proprietary.

But yes, I'm curious as well to see Apple obligations re GPL. I know that you can play around with Darwin to your heart's content, for example (if I'm not mistaken.)

CQd44

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Edinburg, Texas
I'm gonna complain to my local news stations whenever they report on drugs or gun trafficking because that might encourage me to go buy drugs and guns AND it might tell me their names so i can look for them when they get out of prison!

Veri

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
*LTD*, you thoroughly entertaining thing: In the '70s Steve Jobs was earning the money necessary to later start up Apple proper by selling blue boxes, devices for illegally obtaining long distance telephone service.

Although it's an issue between the telecomms company, SJ, and maybe the police, which has been settled pages/decades ago, shouldn't you be weighing in on it, calling for SJ to be sent to jail for his illegal part in illegally obtaining pirated service and involving himself in the promotion and sale of those illegal devices which are against the EULA for 'phone service?

Also, this post is not sold to you, only licensed, and by reading to this paragraph you agree to give me a peck on the cheek. If you do not give me a peck on the cheek you lose all rights to this post, and must hunt down and wipe any copies in your browser cache or in un-zeroed free space on your hard drive. Also, the remaining magnetic domain pattern on your drive will be considered a creative derivative work. Respect my rights as a content creator! I didn't even ask you to pay a fee before getting a chance to read the terms - how cool is that?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
.. ... .

*LTD*, you thoroughly entertaining thing: In the '70s Steve Jobs was earning the money necessary to later start up Apple proper by selling blue boxes, devices for illegally obtaining long distance telephone service.

Ok.

Although it's an issue between the telecomms company, SJ, and maybe the police, which has been settled pages/decades ago, shouldn't you be weighing in on it, calling for SJ to be sent to jail for his illegal part in illegally obtaining pirated service and involving himself in the promotion and sale of those illegal devices which are against the EULA for 'phone service?

Has nothing to do with Macrumors' articlet and the relevant section of the forum rules. But I assume you're joking. ;)

Also, this post is not sold to you, only licensed, and by reading to this paragraph you agree to give me a peck on the cheek. If you do not give me a peck on the cheek you lose all rights to this post, and must hunt down and wipe any copies in your browser cache or in un-zeroed free space on your hard drive. Also, the remaining magnetic domain pattern on your drive will be considered a creative derivative work. Respect my rights as a content creator! I didn't even ask you to pay a fee before getting a chance to read the terms - how cool is that?

Where's my Agree/Disagree option as required? :p

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Veri, hilarious post!

I would like to point out that both MacNN and MacWorld are covering this story, complete with links. Hell, MacWorld even links to the guy's Russian blog!

Aug 26, 2008
I may be wrong here (and someone please correct me if I am), but aren't the open source segments of OS X covered by the GPL? Thus, Apple can restrict its own modifications, but it can't actually prevent the GPL-covered portions from being modified by the end-user.

Now I guess the portion of OS X that includes the table for CPU identification may be different, but it'd be interesting to see just how different it is from any type of table in FreeBSD/etc that does CPU identification. If it's nothing more than Apple simply changing the CPUIDs to only be those CPUs it wishes to support, well, I'm not sure that would hold up in court ;D

Yeah, the EULA in general might not hold up in court either, which is what LTD has his panties in a bunch over. MR's rules seem much more geared towards actual piracy, not buying Snow Leopard and using it how you wish. Apple's EULA is pretty sketchy in that regard, and I think it's hilarious how furious he is over people who use OSX in any way they choose (after buying it).

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Veri, hilarious post!

I would like to point out that both MacNN and MacWorld are covering this story, complete with links. Hell, MacWorld even links to the guy's Russian blog!

So have 9 to 5 Mac and AppleInsider links to the MacWorld story which links to the hack. The entire Apple community is rotten to the core :D

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Veri, hilarious post!

Depends on their forum rules.

Not sure whether the following applies just to new posts or forums, or whether there is a difference.

http://www.macworld.com/info/tos.html

You may participate in any forums or messaging threads offered through the Service, but you agree not to post any material the content of which (i) is defamatory, libelous, obscene, indecent, abusive, threatening to others, or in violation of any law; or (ii) infringes the copyright, trademark right, or other intellectual property right of any third party. You will be solely responsible for all content that you post on the Service.

http://www.macworld.com/article/143977/2009/11/atom_hack.html

Macworld has posted link(s) to here:

http://teateam.blogspot.com/2009/11/mac-os-x-1062.html

Not sure if posting links = "post any material the content of which." Unlike Macworld, Macrumors is very specific and clear in this area.

Macworld might very well be in violation of their TOS, provided the TOS applies to news articles.

So have 9 to 5 Mac and AppleInsider links to the MacWorld story which links to the hack. The entire Apple community is rotten to the core :D

Seems article hits sometimes take precedence over the rules. Too bad, really. Not only does it suggest hypocrisy, it also sends a fairly negative message to everyone else. Of course, these things often go unnoticed until someone at some point gets curious.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween

As far as I know Apple doesn't use GPL software. They have FreeBSD code which is under the BSD license. Plus theres Apache which is the Apache License.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Re: Open Source.

http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/

H. Certain components of the Apple Software, and third party open source programs included with the Apple Software, have been or may be made available by Apple on its Open Source web site (http://www.opensource.apple.com/) (collectively the "Open-Sourced Components"). You may modify or replace only these Open-Sourced Components; provided that: (i) the resultant modified Apple Software is used, in place of the unmodified Apple Software, on a single Apple- branded computer; and (ii) you otherwise comply with the terms of this License and any applicable licensing terms governing use of the Open-Sourced Components. Apple is not obligated to provide any updates, maintenance, warranty, technical or other support, or services for the resultant modified Apple Software.

I. You may not and you agree not to, or to enable others to, copy (except as expressly permitted by this License), decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, attempt to derive the source code of, decrypt, modify, or create derivative works of the Apple Software or any services provided by the Apple Software, or any part thereof (except as and only to the extent any foregoing restriction is prohibited by applicable law or to the extent as may be permitted by licensing terms governing use of Open-Sourced Components). You agree to use the Apple Software and the Services (as defined in Section 5 below) in compliance with all applicable laws, including local laws of the country or region in which you reside or in which you download or use the Apple Software and Services.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
LTD, do you want to be a lawyer? Or are you just trolling?

Clearly, this "breaking of the rules" doesn't matter a bit, or admins would have taken the link down hours ago.

If you want to complain about "the rules" further, go to the suggestions forum. As it is, you're just embarrassing yourself and spamming up this thread.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
LTD, do you want to be a lawyer? Or are you just trolling?

Clearly, this "breaking of the rules" doesn't matter a bit, or admins would have taken the link down hours ago.

If you want to complain about "the rules" further, go to the suggestions forum. As it is, you're just embarrassing yourself and spamming up this thread.

This "breaking of the rules" doesn't matter one bit? What's your opinion on that? I'm dying to know.

Would it matter whether I broke the rule about forum conduct? How about I call you all kinds of obscenities and find interesting ways to threaten you online, via these forums? Would you like that? Think I could get away with it without being reported? Would you like to see me get away with it constantly, with no action taken by the mods?

I think you see what I'm getting at . . .

And by the way, we're discussing Open Source now. I've advised mods of the issue with the article, and would be interested in their answer. But if anyone has further questions about the article and how it relates to the rules, I think we should all be free to answer them. Seems like an interesting and relevant topic, especially in light of recent information, starting at about . . . oh, post #10.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
So . . . we're going to discuss piracy and warez now?

It's not piracy. A patch like this only overwrites data that is already on your disk. We assume someone bought Mac OS X. This modifies the copy they own by writing over top of it. It is not a modified copy, which would be a copyright violation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.