Lion is terrible!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by secretstorm, Aug 25, 2011.

1. secretstorm macrumors newbie

I am sooooooo sorry I installed Lion. Real problems! I have NEVER had a Mac freeze before. Now it freezes or crashes several times a day! Software programs launch by themselves, files open. What a nightmare! Believe me this will kill Apple's impeccable reputation with its devotees. I have looked for upgrades to fix this but so far nothing. I have to run disk repair! UGH!!!!!!!! Good Grief!

2. ZipZap macrumors 601

and now the obligitory......"Works fine for me"....;)

3. err404 macrumors 68020

OP, your issues sound out of the ordinary. I'd recommend running a few rounds of memtest and/or contacting Apple.
    You could also try a clean install. There may some incompatible code left over from your prior SL install (make a TM backup first).

4. Chinamao macrumors newbie

I think the crash and freezon is caused by your small RAM. It happened to me before I upgraded my Ram. Go to upgarde your Ram, and you probably will change your mind. The lion works like a cham to me, I can not even think about looking back.

5. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

OP

I had similar issues on two of my computers. Uninstall old software. I found istat freezing my mac pro and mac book pro constantly. I also got rid of the CS4 suite and that almost totally eliminated my issues. It seems that Lion is not compatible with old software.

6. err404 macrumors 68020

I have an old Mac Mini with 2GB that I use as a HTPC. It also began crashing under Lion. However it was not the lack of RAM, but rather heat. Lion 1.7.0 ran much hotter than SL (1.7.1 is a bit better). The extra heat exposed stability issues with the RAM and resulted in crashes. Memtest confirmed the issue. I replaced the RAM with old modules from a MBP (still just 2GB) and it has been perfectly stable ever since.

7. darster Suspended

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

So you have a Mac running Lion. So do I. Problems have causes. You have given not one hint about the cause of your problem.

9. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Just do a clean reinstall. I know it shouldn't be necessary, and you might be able to fix your problems some other way, but that might just be the easiest way to get rid of your issues.

10. macnvrbck macrumors regular

works fine for:rolleyes:... oh wait.. no it doesn't! (Wifi Dropouts, wifi connects but still says connection failed, time machine keychain errors, sluggish, safari videos playback issues...not flash related) I was frying eggs off my Macbook Air while Lion was installed. (DAYS after indexing) Went back to Snow Leopard. SMOOTH Sailing:D....

After 5 clean installs, PRAM resets, disk permissions and wasting 3 days last week... I went baaaaaaack.

11. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I don't think you tried hard enough.

6th time is a charm :p

I put lion on my 2010 13" and went immediately back to SL when I found out Samba 3 was removed (crucial for XBMC), then I put Lion back on and manually installed it through MacPorts (what a process), and a few annoying bugs and changes and poor battery life made me go back to SL. Don't think I'll upgrade again. Even way down the road.

It made me appreciate Expose more too

I think the only hardware smooth with it is the 2011 MBA. Even then, if I could get SL on it (and had a 2011 MBA also)... I wouldn't object.

12. macnvrbck macrumors regular

I'd also buy the 2011 MBA today if I could put SL on it. Looks like I'm stuck with my lazy Intel C2D 2.13 (welcome to 2008) for the foreseeable future. SL on the new MBA PLEASE!:mad:

13. thadoggfather, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011

thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

yep my MBP from last year runs on the same old C2D I had when I had a 15" unibody and a pre-unibody MBP.

But I like the battery life (or did before I 'upgraded' to Lion, which is why I switched back-- this is a Mac portable not a desk-tethered machine), the smaller factor (relative to 15" I was used to, haven't looked back honestly), and I don't game and rarely encode (mostly use the machine for photos and casual tasks) so i don't mind.

Plus SSD lets this puppy fly for daily tasks. So 'slower CPU' doesn't bug me too much. Plus, I still think I like having the 320M over some 'Intel integrated' junk. Intel and graphics cards should not be in the same sentence.

I'd be more annoyed if I bought a top spec 15 or 17" from last year (I had the antiglare 15" i7, but returned it because it was 2 x the price of the base 13" and I didn't use the additional juice), only to have the base 2011 MBA keep up or even beat it in benchmarking! Talk about impressive!

I really don't think C2D is what makes Lion run slow. I think Lion just runs slow. Try playing with it on a 2011 13" pro at the store, the graphics are glitchy (full screen animation, it hiccuped every time).

When people say they "have no problems," I really think it's just they aren't as observant as you and I and others who are nitpicky (and are not trolls, and otherwise like Mac products). Unless they already have a shot battery that doesn't last, or never part with the AC adapter... Notwithstanding perhaps a few Mac models that Lion was probably built with in mind (ahem 2011 MBA, some desktops maybe, etc etc).

Even the home page says 'Lion: the king of desktop' (but note, not the laptop haha)

14. secretstorm thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I Agree

I have a 15" macbook pro laptop and this might work better on a desktop. Another reply suggested dumping older app suites. Have you any idea how much Adobe suites are? Many of us have one level back because it's sooo costly. If conflicts with software programs was a risk, Apple should have issued a caution.
    I work on my computer so I have maxed-out memory. Believe me, it's not memory. I designed this to run BIG programs.
    Safari is slow.

To be honest, if this were Microsoft, I'd be grateful I could run anything but this is MAC! And we have grown to expect better. I have worshiped Steve Jobs at the altar of Mac since I was a kid. This is not acceptable; I paid a little over $2200 for my laptop ( with maxed-out memory). It's a Rolls Royce so I don't accept Ford performance. No excuse, Steve.

15. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

well i found one of my first big problems with mac osx lion any of my external drives that are not formated to the osx filesystem when i share say oh i am here but when you click on me i say oh i am not there so i reformated my portable drive which i wanted to leave as fat 32 to allow it to be read on my macs and my windows xp and 7 computers if i unplug it to osx file system and the mac mini says oh its there on my laptop and oh i can access this fine i find that screwy since it worked fine on sl

16. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

ljonesj,

Have you ever heard of any of the following?

Capitalization
    Periods
    Commas
    Paragraphs

Fix you post so we can comprehend it.

S-

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Hmmmmm, join date TODAY, 2 total posts......:roll eyes:

Astroturf anyone?

18. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

And I thought I had it bad when all I'm doing is complaining about the implementation of features. I've not encountered any performance issues or bugs per se with Lion :eek:!

19. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

I find it funny when you are the only the second one to say something about that when there are how many members that are on here that don't care.

I hope they fix my sharing issue with other filesystem's on my external hd's soon. i hope they dont merge the line of the air and macbook pro as i think that would be a mistake

20. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I don't care as long as what you write is understandable. That post was hard to read. So, if you want people to read your posts and possibly provide answers, make an attempt at using proper sentence structure and punctuation.

S-

21. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

Yeah. He's only the second person to say something because he's only the second one to even try to read your post.

22. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

lol Well it's funny as I said the same thing in this post and someone answered. Then gave me a link to the apple bug report. So the two of you are wrong in that since but i will you this i will try to work on the structure of my post

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1218879

Then there's this if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.

23. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Uh... I think that's what he's asking for help with. (the cause).

24. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I'm not that much into streams of consciousness. Ranting and raving about having a problem or problems is not the same as giving information about the configuration of the machine and other relevant information that might be useful in diagnosing the problem.

25. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

Well this is a bug but its with firefox but the same thing is happening on my windows machine with 7. odd thou it does not happen with xp but firefox has a massive memory leak i have watched it climp to almost 3 gb of ram being used.