List Of 2.1 Features

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by itsm3cmg, Sep 9, 2008.

1. itsm3cmg macrumors member

List all the 2.1 features you have found.

-When updating apps the apps go back to the current place

-Genius Option playlist

-A Lot faster updating apps

-When viewing songs it says Artist And Album underneath the Song title.

2. Pippen Man macrumors regular

-A lot faster in actually opening up ANY app

-When connected to iTunes, the size-o-meter at the bottom (that shows songs, videos, etc. on device) now has a green portion for "apps." Click on the bar and it will tell you how many apps you have on the device

3. Strategy macrumors member

Hows the backup speed? With 39 apps installed on my touch, it was so painfully slow I don't think i ever completed a successful backup with 2.0/2.0.2

4. theNorth macrumors newbie

- When is an iPod not an iPod? When the music app crashes! Doh!

5. shoelessone macrumors 6502

Any idea how big the update is? If I were in the states it wouldn't matter, but at the moment I'm in the middle of Cambodia where internet is esentially dialup, and internet cafes don't exactly have the latest version of iTunes installed.

If it's as big as the 2.0 update I'll probably have to wait a month or so, but if it's smaller I might be able to download iTunes and update while I'm over here...

Thanks all!

6. tucker61 macrumors regular

Update was approx 240 mb

When listening to podcast instead of a blue circle showing a new item, I now get half a circle if I have listened to half the podcast.

7. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I like the sound of this one.

8. alabastercodify macrumors newbie

It also tells you how many minutes of the Podcast are left.

9. synagence macrumors 6502a

On a freshly restored iPod at 2.1 reinstalled all apps and content (moves/podcasts etc) and then once done setup mobileme etc..

Plugged into iTunes selected "Backup" and had a backup complete in 12 seconds .... yes TWELVE seconds

Seems very impressive

10. ccfoodog macrumors member

- Podcast has more descriptive information
    - Backups much faster
    (60+ apps, backups used to be >6hrs, now less <1)
    - From max 10 pages of apps to 9 (?)
    - >70 apps don't seem to trigger dreaded missing content problem.

Note this is with iTunes 8. FWIW, I noticed some things worked better with iTunes 8 prior to the 2.1 upgrade.

11. PR. macrumors member

PR.

- Music listings have gone to two lines

- Can now selectively mute certain sound effects (new mail, key taps)

- UK can now finally have a 12hr clock

- Emails now seem to have an expanding field to select BCC/CC/From info

- Apps Install like they do in the advert rather than taking several minutes

- Everything much more responsive, no more keyboard lag.

- Sync seems much faster

Still no support for direct Google Calendar sync or Google Bookmark sync which is a shame

12. Cyclone Chris macrumors regular

After finished installing updated apps go to their original spots in the home screen. No More dragging icons around after an update for an app.

13. PR. macrumors member

PR.

Something else I've noticed, on the main email list it shows "to" or "cc" depending on how the email was addressed to you, newsletters show nothing at all making it easier to spot them.

14. atomheartmother macrumors regular

That's good. I just wish they'd have an option to mark podcasts for deletion. Even though I have iTunes set to sync only new, unlisted-to podcasts--and I listen to every podcast back to the menu--I still have every podcast I've ever downloaded on my Touch. It's really filling things up fast!

15. micha10589 macrumors member

micha10589

brightness change in video mode now possible?

Hi, I've posted elsewhere but people might not see it as quickly as here.

My biggest wish for the new UI is to change brightness directly in video mode when playing videos (like you can with iPod 5th gen. and later).

Is that now possible?

That would be for me the only reason to upgrade.

Thanks in advance for checking this out for me.

16. bit_bucket macrumors regular

bit_bucket

This is possible. Just quickly swipe your finger from left to right over the podcast and a delete button will pop up. This is kind of a hidden feature.

17. Reiger macrumors regular

How is the keyboard lag in Safari? And does the inputfield still bounce up and down on certain sites?

18. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

Email improvement?

Anyone notice if its possible to now sort emails by "From" or "To" considering before all you could do was sort by date sent? Any email searching capabilities?

19. carrollf macrumors regular

carrollf

Will 2.1 for the iPhone fix the Contacts lag?

20. encro macrumors 6502

encro

Yes it does :)

21. encro macrumors 6502

encro

Technosmurf posted on AppleInsider:

- Scrub bar is longer now, easier to scrub through songs (the shuffle and "continuous play" icons have been moved to a second line).

- The capacity bar at the bottom of the iTunes window now shows Apps disk space usage in a green color.

- Songs now show a second line of album information, which is more like the Remote App.

- Tapping the screen while a song is playing now shows information from the Comments section in MP3 tags (is this new?). Similar to showing lyrics if you tap on the screen during playback.

- While a song is playing, there's a new "play arrow" icon near the top right hand corner of the screen, next to the battery status. This is helpful, since it was confusing before to know if a song was in a "play" state or a "paused" state while browsing for other songs or creating on-the-go playlists (recently, I haven't been using headphones on my iPod touch as I often use it just for browsing web pages).

22. Dharma Rascal macrumors newbie

Dharma Rascal

Headphones

I guess this is a feature I can't observe yet! :) But if the new headphones work with the Touch (as Steve said, I think), then does that mean the mic works and we can voice record and, potentially, use it on VOIP apps from the App store? That would be wild...

23. Gee4orce macrumors regular

I think they specifically said that the mic, volume and audio skip controls only work with the new iPods. You can still use them as headphones with the original Touch though.

24. xerxes2008 macrumors newbie

What about landscape email?

Can someone with the 2.1 update check on this feature:

Is is possible now to compose emails with the phone turned sideways (landscape mode, wider keyboard)???

Thanks! :)

25. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

When you update you applications it does not rearrange them on the springboard anymore. It keeps them in their previous place.