Carrier List of eSim providers (Prepaid vs Postpaid)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by E3BK, Feb 11, 2019 at 9:27 AM.

1. E3BK, Feb 11, 2019 at 9:27 AM
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 4:30 PM

E3BK macrumors 68030

E3BK

Is there a more detailed list of eSIM providers somewhere? I know Apple lists the carriers but outside of that, it lacks any useful information like if they offer post-paid or pre-paid on eSIM, if it's provisioned via app or if you have to call or obtain an eSIM card like on EE.

EDIT: Doesn't look like there is a real list out there so perhaps this can be turned into a Wiki. Let's keep quick availability info on the main post but feel free to link to a more detailed post. Just want to keep it clean and information easy to find.

China

3: Pre-paid roaming data as add-on. Need to confirm if available to non-postpaid customers.

Germany

Telekom: Post-paid and pre-paid eSIM officially supported. NOTE: ID required to begin service regardless of eSIM or physical SIM. Additional information here and here.

Philippines

Globe: Post-paid eSIM only, no pre-paid support. You must visit one of the stores listed to set up.

Switzerland

Swisscom: Post-Paid and Prepaid. Prepaid QR Voucher available at every Swisscom Shop
    ID/Passport required for registration (Swiss LAW)

Sunrise: Only Post-Paid.

UK

EE:
    Post-paid eSIM only. You can call or go to an EE store for an eSIM card with QR code. No pre-paid eSIM.

USA

T-Mobile: No official post-paid support (some have been successful in a work-around but it isn't guaranteed and T-Mobile will not support if there is a problem). Pre-paid eSIM available via the T-Mobile eSIM app.

Verizon: Post-Paid eSIM only. Existing customers can call to have service switched to eSIM. New customers can sign up via the MyVerizon app. No pre-paid eSIM support.

AT&T: Post-paid eSIM available with $5 Blue QR card via in-store or chat. Pre-paid unconfirmed.

2. E3BK, Feb 11, 2019 at 11:05 AM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 11:16 AM

E3BK thread starter macrumors 68030

E3BK

Thanks but this isn't really what I was describing. I'm not sure you read my whole post.

The Apple link doesn't contain much more than the providers as I stated in my OP nor does it actually list all the providers now. The eSIM thread isn't comprehensive and is really just links to a few providers. I am looking for or looking to collectively build (& update as changes arise) an at-a-glance guide to eSIM providers around the globe similar to my examples above.

3. OBirder macrumors 6502

USA:

AT&T Postpaid
    - buy blue eSIM card for $5 and activate via Chat/Online
    - Provide ICCID number from blue eSIM card
    - Once activated, add cellular plan and scan QR code
    - Keep blue eSIM card - can be reinstalled after phone wipe or phone swap

AT&T Prepaid (potentially not officially supported)
    - Buy physical SIM in store and activate
    - Buy blue eSIM card for $5
    - Create online account with PIN
    - Call or chat and ask for "Update SIM card on account"
    - Provide ICCID number from blue eSIM card
    - Once activated, add cellular plan and scan QR code
    - Keep blue eSIM card - can be reinstalled after phone wipe or phone swap

Germany

Telekom
    - Officially supported for postpaid and prepaid
    - Physical SIM needed first (for new customer: in store, international passport and German address required)
    - Setup online customer account in online portal
    - Request via chat switch to eSIM
    - Within 24 hours one-time use QR code will be provided in online portal
    - Add cellular plan, scan QR code from screen
    - Swap is free of charge ; for new phone or reinstall a new request in customer portal online chat is required

4. pika2000 macrumors 601

Wow, such convoluted mess. Why do we want this instead of simply putting a physical SIM inside a phone?

I fail to see the logic of eSIM. Unless Apple becomes the provider hosting all the carrier options so user can directly choose carriers via Apple, I don’t see the point of eSIM.

5. OBirder macrumors 6502

After the one time setup:

- I have the low cost T-Mobile plan domestic and international
    - On the second eSIM line I have prepaid AT&T for areas with no T-Mobile coverage
    - When I travel to Europe, I turn on the Telekom eSIM line and use it for local data in all of the EU

- I don't have to remove the case
    - I don't have to change physical SIM and risk losing it e.g. in an airplane or at airport (have done that before)

It is as easy as flipping a switch in the settings (takes only a few seconds) and turn on data for this plan. I do it when I board the airplane or when I land. It's much easier than the 3 SIM's I had to have before to achieve the same.

Actually, when I travelled I had two phones. My current one so I can be reached under my main number and my old unlocked phone with the local SIM for data. Now I only have to carry one phone.

On the other side, if you don't like what the OP is asking for, than you could just move on ... We do understand that not everyone travels internationally and domestic and doesn't have a large use for it.

6. Cruncher macrumors regular

Cruncher

Switzerland

Swisscom
    Post-Paid and Prepaid. Prepaid QR Voucher available at every Swisscom Shop
    ID/Passport required for registration (Swiss LAW)

Sunrise
    Only Post-Paid

7. E3BK thread starter macrumors 68030

E3BK

Thanks for the additional info @OBirder & @Cruncher! I've updated the main post. I've also put in the official ask to the mods to make it a wiki.

8. Superrjamz54 macrumors 6502

Superrjamz54

The real object is to remove the SIM card altogether and allow the user to dictate what carrier they use and not allow the carrier to dictate that.

9. pika2000 macrumors 601

Do you really think that would happen? Look at AT&T locking eSIM. Remember the days of CDMA phones completely carrier controlled without a SIM slot? Yeah that’s where you want to go back to? :shrug:

The only thing that makes sense for eSIM is if Apple becomes the middleman, giving the list of carriers user want to activate on. Without that, carriers can do whatever they want and there’s nothing you can do about it.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 13, 2019 at 6:19 PM ---
    Just to add

Singapore
    M1: postpaid only