Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
This post is a wiki, so if you have an eSIM, see a question and know the answer, feel free to add the question and the answer.
This WikiPost will focus on all the questions not covered by Apple in the support documents below.

Table of Contents​

• General Info
    • Support documents from Apple about eSIM​
    • Devices with eSIM​
  • International Travel eSIM Providers
  • General Q&A
  • New eSIM features by iOS version / by iPhone model

General Info​

Support documents from Apple about eSIM​

Devices with eSIM

• iPhone XS and later (XS Max, XR)
  • iPad Pro 2018 and later
  • iPad Air (3rd gen.) and later
  • iPad Mini (5th gen.) and later
Notes:

eSIM Only Devices​

• iPhone 14 (including Plus/Pro/Pro max) - US Models only

Worldwide eSIM Providers (Travel)

esimdb - database for finding travel eSIMs by region/country.
Some carriers are also listed on Apple's website.

airalo
AirSim
aloSIM
BNESIM
DENT Wireless
eSIM+
Flexiroam
GigSky
MTX Connect
Redtea Mobile
Soracom Mobile
Truphone
UPeSIM
Ubigi
USIMS
Webbing
3HK

General Q&A

Q: Does the eSIM survive a restore?
A: Yes.

Q: Does that mean I can always locate a lost iPhone?
A: Yes, since iOS 15.

Q: Can you set up eSIM out of the box?
A: Yes, during initial setup it will ask.

Q: Can you re-use a eSIM QR code card to transfer the service on another phone (like swapping a physical SIM)?
A: Depends on the carrier. Most carriers only allow single use though. If you want to transfer service to another device, you usually have to get a new QR code from the carrier.​

Q: Can you use the same QR code to add your eSIM account back, if you accidentally delete your eSIM account?
A: Depends on the carrier. I was able to delete and re-add an AT&T eSIM, but after two days it wouldn't​

Q: If I mistakenly lost my eSIM QR card, which has been used to activate my current line, do I need to worry about?
A: No. It can only be used with your phone.​

Q: Can I use Wi-Fi calling on both lines?
Q: Any special tips to activate eSIM card?
A: Your phone must be connected to Wi-Fi when activating the eSIM, because it needs internet to retrieve the profile-Except for the iPhone 14 models sold in the US, which are eSIM-only and can activate even without Wi-Fi.
Q: Why does my iPhone have two different IMEI/MEID?
A: The IMEI can't be the same for two active SIMs or eSIMs thus your phone has two IMEI.​

Q: Is there a hidden dual-SIM tray on iPhone XS Max and XR sold outside of China?
A: No.
Q: How many eSIMs can I store on my phone?
A: More than 3 for sure, but the limit is unknown.
Q: Can I use dual-sim with two eSIMs?
A: Yes, since the iPhone 13/Pro/Max/mini.
Q: Is it better to use eSIM or a physical SIM with my main carrier?
A: It depends. If when you travel, you want to set-up a GigSky plan on your phone, you won't be able to use both your home carrier and GigSky because you can do dual-SIM only with one eSIM and one physical SIM (this does not apply for the iPhone 13/Pro/Max/mini, which can do dual-eSIM).​
On the other hand, having your main carrier on eSIM means that someone can't just take the SIM out of your phone to get 2FA codes.​
There are many variables to consider.​

Q: Can I use WhatsApp with two phone numbers?
A: No. But you can install WhatsApp Business as an effective second instance of the app, thereby having one app per line. This allows registration of the second app to the second line, or vice versa. Then, regardless of data source (WiFi or mobile data on either line), both apps continue to work completely independently. If using dual sim for personal/business, this is a foolproof method of keeping the relevant contacts and conversations separated. Either app can be used to communicate with any and all contacts, regardless of preferred line settings for calls or iMessage/SMS.​
Q: Does the Apple Watch support Dual-SIM too?
  • The keypad dialer will always use the default line
  • When dialing using Contacts or recent calls, it will respect the tags assigned (Primary or Secondary for example)
  • The Apple Watch can have more than one eSIM plan: if your secondary SIM provider supports the Watch, then you can add it too (it's greyed on my screenshots because I am roaming).
Q: Can the eSIM roam?
Q: Can I send an iMessage/SMS to the same person from different line?
A: Yes. Starting in iOS 15, you can go in the conversation settings to switch the line of an active conversation.
Q: What happens if someone sends an iMessage/SMS to a different line?

Q: My phone is locked. What do I do?
A: If your phone is locked, you must unlock both IMEIs (the IMEI 1 and IMEI 2). Unlocking only one of them doesn't work.​
Q: How to permanently remove the eSIM profiles?
A: Restoring your device does not erase the eSIM.​
If you're planning to sell your eSIM device (iPhone or iPad Pro 3rd Gen), do not simply restore your phone. Restoring your phone through iTunes will not erase the eSIM!
The only way to erase the eSIM profiles is in the device's settings.​
You need to go in Settings > General > Reset.​
There, you have two choices:​
- Tap Remove All Data Plans, then restore by any method or;​
- Erase All Content and Settings, and click "Erase All" when prompted.​

New in iOS 17​

New Features​

• Different ringtones for different lines.

New in iOS 16​

New Features​

• eSIM Quick Transfer on iPhone: Some carriers support SIM transfers from your previous iPhone to your new iPhone without needing to contact them.
    • Transfer a physical SIM or eSIM on your previous iPhone to an eSIM on your new iPhone after setup.
    • Convert a physical SIM to an eSIM
  • Dual SIM Message Filtering : Filter conversations in Messages by individual SIM.

New in iOS 15​

New Features​

• Added ability to manually switch the line used for SMS or iMessage conversation.

New with iPhone 13/Pro/Max/mini​

New Features​

• Dual-eSIM: two eSIMs, or one eSIM and one SIM can be active at the same time. Earlier iPhone generations could only do one physical SIM + one eSIM active at the same time.

New in iOS 14​

New Features​

Changes to existing features​

New in iOS 13​

There have been some new changes to eSIM in iOS 13. If you discover new features, please add them to this Wiki!

New features

• Dual-SIM simultaneous calls: you can now place calls on two different lines at the same call, and call waiting works for incoming calls on another line. For this to work, calls must be made/received while on VoLTE, and both lines need to have active data. For this to work, You will need to turn on Allow Cellular Data Switching when you are on a call that isn't your default data line and have Wi-Fi Calling enabled.
  • If you have data active on one line, and the other line doesn't have cellular service and the provider supports VoLTE, service will function using the active data on the other line. Essentially, it's like having Wi-Fi Calling, but it uses the data of one of the lines. There is no ability to force this. It will only happen when there is No Service on one line but service and data on the other line. Some people have reported you can force this by selecting manually a network you know your carrier doesn't allow (e.g. a competitor's) This also work while roaming: you can have one line with data, and have you secondary line use the data of the first line without incurring roaming charges. Tested with TELUS roaming in the US for data and Freedom Mobile line without roaming.

Changes to existing features

• iMessage and FaceTime now supports two phone numbers, and you can start and iMessage conversation or FaceTime call with either number.
Updated iOS 13 Dual-SIM support article: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209086

Thanks to njcyx6649250 for helping building this Q&A!

Last edited:

njcyx6649250

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
Here are some other inputs:

(Disclaimer: the above and following information are based on our ATT eSIM card tests and discussions (forum link). unofficial. only for your reference. maybe significantly changed later)

Q: Can you use the same QR code to add your eSIM account back, if you accidentally delete your eSIM account?
You can use your same phone to scan the same QR code, then it will add the previous eSIM account back. Please note if your phone has been changed (IMEI changed), or if you have switched your account from this eSIM to standard SIM card, the activation on this eSIM card including this QR code will be expired. Then you need to obtain a new eSIM card from the carrier. By the same reason, it is recommend to take a picture of your original QR code, and save it for future use.

Q: If I mistakenly lost my eSIM QR card, which has been used to activate my current line, do I need to worry about?
A: No (at least for ATT).
This QR code has already been used to activate your line. Even a bad guy obtains this QR card somehow, he cannot use this card to activate any lines or transfer your line out of your phone. This QR card can only be used to activate 1) this specific activated phone and 2) your number.

Q: Can this eSIM card (ATT) be used to activate prepaid account? Or does it require a postpaid account?
A:
Based on multiple DPs, eSIM card can be activated on postpaid ATT account. Based on DeanLubaki's test, eSIM card can also be activated on prepaid ATT account (Yeah!). He uses ATT prepaid phone automated system to update ICCID & IMEI. Online updating may also work. Needs more DPs.

Q: I ordered this iPhone through carrier and this phone is locked, can I still use eSIM card?
A: (Needs more DPs).
If your phone is locked, you may still use eSIM card feature, but you can only use the same carrier for eSIM account and standard SIM account. For example, if your phone is ATT locked, you can only use ATT for eSIM and ATT for standard SIM. You cannot use tmobile for eSIM. ATT prepaid or MNVO may also work in locked phone.

Q: Is there any difference for unlock process?
A:
(Needs more DPs). You need to submit two unlock requests. One for standard SIM IMEI. Another for eSIM IMEI. See Post #22.

Q: Can I use WIFI calling on both lines?
A:
Yes, if your line supports WIFI calling. See picture in Post #25.

Q: My nearby ATT doesn't have eSIM. What can I do?
A:
1) Show the ATT agent eSIM picture, then ask for it gently. 2) Try a different store. It doesn't matter it is company store or authorized retail store. 3) Book a ticket then fly to the closest store which has eSIM (I'm kidding). 4) Wait. More and more ATT stores are getting this eSIM card.

Q: I got the eSIM card from store, but the ATT agent doesn't know how to use it.
A:
Teach that ATT agent how to use it (LOL). Ask him/her to update your IMEI (for eSIM), and also update the ICCID number on that QR card. Then you just scan the QR code and activate your line.

Or you can grab an unused eSIM card and contact ATT customer service via online chat or phone support, to update these two information. You can just mention that you want to switch your SIM card. You don't need to mention it is eSIM which may cause some troubles.

Please be nice to the ATT agents. iPhone eSIM function has not been officially released, and you may encounter some issues. ATT agents haven't been trained for this function yet. (I have been using 12.1 beta 5 OS and also eSIM for couple days. No issues found. But you are at your risk.).

A:
Your phone MUST BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET WHEN YOU SCAN YOUR QR CODE! Otherwise it will show errors like "Can not activate cellular plan at this time" (See Post #156) or "Cannot change your data plan now". When you request to update your ICCID and IMEI, your old standard SIM card will be expired (no service), and you cannot connect to cellular internet then.

To be continued...

Last edited:
Reactions: poocat

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Here are some other inputs:

(Disclaimer: the above and following information are based on our ATT eSIM card tests and discussions (forum link). unofficial. only for your reference. maybe significantly changed later)

You can use your same phone to scan the same QR code, then it will add the previous eSIM account back. Please note if your phone has been changed (IMEI changed), or if you have switched your account from this eSIM to standard SIM card, the activation on this eSIM card including this QR code will be expired. Then you need to obtain a new eSIM card from the carrier. By the same reason, it is recommend to take a picture of your original QR code, and save it for future use.

A: No (at least for ATT).
This QR code has already been used to activate your line. Even a bad guy obtains this QR card somehow, he cannot use this card to activate any lines or transfer your line out of your phone. This QR card can only be used to activate 1) this specific activated phone and 2) your number.

Q: Can this eSIM card (ATT) be used to activate prepaid account? Or does it require a postpaid account?
A:
Based on multiple DPs, eSIM card can be activated on postpaid ATT account. Based on DeanLubaki's test, eSIM card can also be activated on prepaid ATT account (Yeah!). He uses ATT prepaid phone automated system to update ICCID & IMEI. Online updating may also work. Needs more DPs.

Q: I ordered this iPhone through carrier and this phone is locked, can I still use eSIM card?
A: (Needs more DPs).
If your phone is locked, you may still use eSIM card feature, but you can only use the same carrier for eSIM account and standard SIM account. For example, if your phone is ATT locked, you can only use ATT for eSIM and ATT for standard SIM. You cannot use tmobile for eSIM. ATT prepaid or MNVO may also work in locked phone.

Q: Is there any difference for unlock process?
A:
(Needs more DPs). You need to submit two unlock requests. One for standard SIM IMEI. Another for eSIM IMEI. See Post #22.

Q: Can I use WIFI calling on both lines?
A:
Yes, if your line supports WIFI calling. See picture in Post #25.

Q: My nearby ATT doesn't have eSIM. What can I do?
A:
1) Show the ATT agent eSIM picture, then ask for it gently. 2) Try a different store. It doesn't matter it is company store or authorized retail store. 3) Book a ticket then fly to the closest store which has eSIM (I'm kidding). 4) Wait. More and more ATT stores are getting this eSIM card.

Q: I got the eSIM card from store, but the ATT agent doesn't know how to use it.
A:
Teach that ATT agent how to use it (LOL). Ask him/her to update your IMEI (for eSIM), and also update the ICCID number on that QR card. Then you just scan the QR code and activate your line.

Or you can grab an unused eSIM card and contact ATT customer service via online chat or phone support, to update these two information. You can just mention that you want to switch your SIM card. You don't need to mention it is eSIM which may cause some troubles.

Please be nice to the ATT agents. iPhone eSIM function has not been officially released, and you may encounter some issues. ATT agents haven't been trained for this function yet. (I have been using 12.1 beta 5 OS and also eSIM for couple days. No issues found. But you are at your risk.).

A:
Your phone MUST BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET WHEN YOU SCAN YOUR QR CODE! Otherwise it will show errors like "Can not activate cellular plan at this time" (See Post #156) or "Cannot change your data plan now". When you request to update your ICCID and IMEI, your old standard SIM card will be expired (no service), and you cannot connect to cellular internet then.

To be continued...
Added :)

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Did yours have a digital sim IMEI number BEFORE activating the eSim? For some reason I have this and didn’t activate an eSim as of yet.

Yes, because you may need to give the IMEI of the eSIM to your carrier before it can be activated. And because it's dual-standby (can be connected to two carriers at the same time), the IMEI can't be the same for two active SIMs.

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
I would like to add the important points from the FAQ section of e-sim on Ooredoo Qatar

Q: Will the eSIM work while roaming if the customer does not use the Nano SIM slot at all?
A: Yes, it will work while roaming, without using a Nano SIM. More testing is under progress.

Q: Is the eSIM service related to the serial number of the device or the QID (Qatari ID) number and what is the scenario if the customer wants to sell their device
A: eSIM is related to eSIM ID (EID) which is unique per device and the service / MSISDN is associated with QID number. If the customer wants to sell his device – one needs to remove the eSIM profile from the device by clicking the eSIM profile on the phone and set remove Cellular/Data plan. Customer can then use the factory reset option as well.

Q: How many numbers can the customer activate on 1 mobile eSIM?
A: Testing is underway. As of now we have tested 5 numbers on one eSIM but only one number will be active at one time.

Q: How do you install the eSIM?
A: No need to open the device. A QR code will be provided to the customer and they need to go to the settings of the iPhone. From settings, this QR code will be scanned and the profile will be downloaded after few steps (instructions will guide the customer to complete the process)

Q: How do I know whether my iPhone XS is ready for the eSIM?
A: General > About. If you can see Digital eSIM parameter, then your iPhone XS is ready for eSIM.

Q: What is the procedure in the case I lose my handset? How do I stop the SIM from operating?
A: If you lose your handset:
• Change your Apple ID/google ID password. By changing your Apple ID/Google ID password, you can prevent anyone from accessing your iCloud data/Android data or using other services (such as iMessage or iTunes or Google Play) from your missing device.
• Login to iCloud / Android and set Lost mode on Find my iPhone/ Find my Device. If required, • Erase your device
• Report your lost or stolen device to Police. Police might request the serial number of your device. Find your device serial number.
• Report your lost or stolen device to Ooredoo. Ooredoo can disable the account eSIM, preventing phone calls, texts, and data use.
New QR code will be generated if required (if replacement phone is supporting eSIM).

Q: What is the procedure if I replace my handset? Explain eSIM compatible and from eSIM to normal sim if handset is not compatible?
A: If you have registered your eSIM QR code to a first eSIM device such as the iPhone XS, your eSIM QR code will be linked to the first device you register it to. If you decide to switch devices in the future, you need to make sure the device is supporting eSIM and certified by Ooredoo and you may need to obtain a replacement eSIM QR Code by contacting Ooredoo. The usual eSIM replacement cost applies.

Q: What are the different ways to apply for an eSIM?
A: You can apply for an eSIM through Ooredoo shop, eShop or from any Ooredoo retails shop.

Q: If I made factory reset or accidentally removed my eSIM Cellular plan, can I use the same QR code to re-activate my eSIM?
A: Yes, you can re-use the same QR code up to 10 times. If you exceed 10 times, please contact Ooredoo. You may need to obtain a replacement eSIM QR Code. The usual eSIM replacement cost applies.

Terms and Conditions

• This QR Code is for your own use for the purpose of registering your eSIM profile and should be kept confidential. If you disclose this Code to others, you do so at your own risk. Ooredoo shall not be responsible nor liable for any such warranted or unwarranted disclosure on your part.
• You will need to retain this QR Code for future re-registration of your eSIM profile. You can use this QR Code for re-registration on the same device up to 10 times. This QR code cannot be used to register your eSIM profile on more than one device.
• If you wish to switch eSIM compatible devices, you must obtain a new QR Code in order to register your eSIM profile on the new device. In this case, you need to remove your eSIM profile from the existing device before registering your eSIM profile on the new device. To remove an eSIM profile go to your iPhone device settings and select 'Mobile Data' the phone number associated with the eSIM profile you want to remove, then select 'Remove Data Plan' and 'Remove Ooredoo Plan' to confirm selection.
• Replacement of this QR Code is chargeable. Registration of the eSIM may not be initiated or completed and may be cancelled in case your QID does not match our records. This QR Code can only be uploaded by compatible iPhone models (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR) operating iOS 12.1 or newer operating systems or other commercially available eSIM compatible devices.

Update from Ooredoo Qatar.

An existing using doesn’t even need to visit the branch to get an e-SIM. Calling customer service or even sending them a DM on Twitter is enough. They will SMS (text) the user with a QR code! Wonder why AT&T in the US decided to go the physical old boring route.

8fa913b485642167e116b9d58da301fb.png

Last edited:

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
What I really want to know though, can one activate an e-SIM while roaming? I might get a new iPhone XS Max soon when traveling and wanted to know if it would be possible to activate the e-SIM I get before traveling or if it requires local coverage first?

(Asking because normal SIMs require being activated on home network for first time use)

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
What I really want to know though, can one activate an e-SIM while roaming? I might get a new iPhone XS Max soon when traveling and wanted to know if it would be possible to activate the e-SIM I get before traveling or if it requires local coverage first?

(Asking because normal SIMs require being activated on home network for first time use)

Not it doesn't. At least, it might depend on the carrier.
I've always been able to activate AT&T SIM cards in Canada before going to the US, including the eSIM. It even works and roams in Canada.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
I want to know if you put the dual SIM tray in the US iPhone can you use 2 physical SIM cards that way

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Update from Ooredoo Qatar.

An existing using doesn’t even need to visit the branch to get an e-SIM. Calling customer service or even sending them a DM on Twitter is enough. They will SMS (text) the user with a QR code! Wonder why AT&T in the US decided to go the physical old boring route.

8fa913b485642167e116b9d58da301fb.png

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Have you personally verified this or at least provide backup info? One word replies are rarely insightful

I don’t think Apple packed in a reader on both sides of the SIM tray.

And even if they did, the iPhone part number is what decides which software you get. If yours didn’t ship with a Dual Nano SIM tray then it will never enable such a feature for you. Just like UAE iPhones never getting FaceTime despite having the same exact software (just a different variant that Apple pushes to such devices)

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
I don’t think Apple packed in a reader on both sides of the SIM tray.

And even if they did, the iPhone part number is what decides which software you get. If yours didn’t ship with a Dual Nano SIM tray then it will never enable such a feature for you. Just like UAE iPhones never getting FaceTime despite having the same exact software (just a different variant that Apple pushes to such devices)
FaceTime is a region settings thing though

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
FaceTime is a region settings thing though

Not really. A UAE iPhone would never get FaceTime regardless of what region you set the device to, what region you actually live in (in case you buy one and travel abroad) or even what carrier you have. It will never ever offer FaceTime regardless of any variables.

It is completely controlled by the part number (written on the back of the iPhone box, and inside General > About) which decides which variants of the software Apple will push to your device.

Apple makes a few variant to comply with local regulations everywhere. For example, iPhone meant to be sold in Japan will always make the camera shutter sound when phone is set to silent regardless of what region you actually use the phone in. (Again, controlled by the part number).

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
I would like to add the important points from the FAQ section of e-sim on Ooredoo Qatar

Q: Will the eSIM work while roaming if the customer does not use the Nano SIM slot at all?
A: Yes, it will work while roaming, without using a Nano SIM. More testing is under progress.

Q: Is the eSIM service related to the serial number of the device or the QID (Qatari ID) number and what is the scenario if the customer wants to sell their device
A: eSIM is related to eSIM ID (EID) which is unique per device and the service / MSISDN is associated with QID number. If the customer wants to sell his device – one needs to remove the eSIM profile from the device by clicking the eSIM profile on the phone and set remove Cellular/Data plan. Customer can then use the factory reset option as well.

Q: How many numbers can the customer activate on 1 mobile eSIM?
A: Testing is underway. As of now we have tested 5 numbers on one eSIM but only one number will be active at one time.

Q: How do you install the eSIM?
A: No need to open the device. A QR code will be provided to the customer and they need to go to the settings of the iPhone. From settings, this QR code will be scanned and the profile will be downloaded after few steps (instructions will guide the customer to complete the process)

Q: How do I know whether my iPhone XS is ready for the eSIM?
A: General > About. If you can see Digital eSIM parameter, then your iPhone XS is ready for eSIM.

Q: What is the procedure in the case I lose my handset? How do I stop the SIM from operating?
A: If you lose your handset:
• Change your Apple ID/google ID password. By changing your Apple ID/Google ID password, you can prevent anyone from accessing your iCloud data/Android data or using other services (such as iMessage or iTunes or Google Play) from your missing device.
• Login to iCloud / Android and set Lost mode on Find my iPhone/ Find my Device. If required, • Erase your device
• Report your lost or stolen device to Police. Police might request the serial number of your device. Find your device serial number.
• Report your lost or stolen device to Ooredoo. Ooredoo can disable the account eSIM, preventing phone calls, texts, and data use.
New QR code will be generated if required (if replacement phone is supporting eSIM).

Q: What is the procedure if I replace my handset? Explain eSIM compatible and from eSIM to normal sim if handset is not compatible?
A: If you have registered your eSIM QR code to a first eSIM device such as the iPhone XS, your eSIM QR code will be linked to the first device you register it to. If you decide to switch devices in the future, you need to make sure the device is supporting eSIM and certified by Ooredoo and you may need to obtain a replacement eSIM QR Code by contacting Ooredoo. The usual eSIM replacement cost applies.

Q: What are the different ways to apply for an eSIM?
A: You can apply for an eSIM through Ooredoo shop, eShop or from any Ooredoo retails shop.

Q: If I made factory reset or accidentally removed my eSIM Cellular plan, can I use the same QR code to re-activate my eSIM?
A: Yes, you can re-use the same QR code up to 10 times. If you exceed 10 times, please contact Ooredoo. You may need to obtain a replacement eSIM QR Code. The usual eSIM replacement cost applies.

Terms and Conditions

• This QR Code is for your own use for the purpose of registering your eSIM profile and should be kept confidential. If you disclose this Code to others, you do so at your own risk. Ooredoo shall not be responsible nor liable for any such warranted or unwarranted disclosure on your part.
• You will need to retain this QR Code for future re-registration of your eSIM profile. You can use this QR Code for re-registration on the same device up to 10 times. This QR code cannot be used to register your eSIM profile on more than one device.
• If you wish to switch eSIM compatible devices, you must obtain a new QR Code in order to register your eSIM profile on the new device. In this case, you need to remove your eSIM profile from the existing device before registering your eSIM profile on the new device. To remove an eSIM profile go to your iPhone device settings and select 'Mobile Data' the phone number associated with the eSIM profile you want to remove, then select 'Remove Data Plan' and 'Remove Ooredoo Plan' to confirm selection.
• Replacement of this QR Code is chargeable. Registration of the eSIM may not be initiated or completed and may be cancelled in case your QID does not match our records. This QR Code can only be uploaded by compatible iPhone models (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR) operating iOS 12.1 or newer operating systems or other commercially available eSIM compatible devices.

I included the link to the Ooredoo page :)
[doublepost=1540743982][/doublepost]
I want to know if you put the dual SIM tray in the US iPhone can you use 2 physical SIM cards that way

No. And it's been verified by numerous teardowns.
Also, only the XS Max and XR Asia gets two physical SIMs–not the XS.

Last edited:

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
None of the teardowns talks specifically about the dual SIM or show a comparison

And, the iFixit link you provided only talks about the tray

[doublepost=1540745416][/doublepost]
Not really. A UAE iPhone would never get FaceTime regardless of what region you set the device to, what region you actually live in (in case you buy one and travel abroad) or even what carrier you have. It will never ever offer FaceTime regardless of any variables.

It is completely controlled by the part number (written on the back of the iPhone box, and inside General > About) which decides which variants of the software Apple will push to your device.

Apple makes a few variant to comply with local regulations everywhere. For example, iPhone meant to be sold in Japan will always make the camera shutter sound when phone is set to silent regardless of what region you actually use the phone in. (Again, controlled by the part number).
I wasn’t aware it was part number, and yes I was aware Japanese phones can’t disable the shutter

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
None of the teardowns talks specifically about the dual SIM or show a comparison

And, the iFixit link you provided only talks about the tray

[doublepost=1540745416][/doublepost]

I wasn’t aware it was part number, and yes I was aware Japanese phones can’t disable the shutter

If you look at the parts you can see there's only one SIM reader not two.

Reactions: jpn

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
If one had an un-activated AT & T sim without the barcode, can one activate the eSim using the add carrier option in iOS 12.1? If so what do I put for the SM-DP+ Box?

No.
The SM-DP+ is the address from which the phone downloads the SIM profile. You can't do that with any SIM card.

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Can whatsapp use both on iphone with dual sim

Not possible unless you can somehow install two WhatsApp clients (Jailbreak maybe?)

Other option is wait for WhatsApp to support it, assuming they ever do? Which I really doubt considering their FAQ says they don’t support it which means they probably have no plans to support it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.