Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned.

But when you press the menu button while on the first menu, it takes you to search. This is just another way of getting there, instead of swiping to the left!

If you change double-click for the home button under your general settings to search and turn off ipod control you can get the search page from within any app as well as any springboard page.

If you don't launch any app or documents under search page and just close the keyboard it takes you back to the Springboard first page instead of back to the app that you were in. This means that the Spotlight is not a separate app and is part of the Springboard app.

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
Macrumors,

You can't hide app without installing 11 whole pages. Your post is very misleading.

You left out the ability to forward and delete individual text messages.

for one thing, i didn't leave forwarding and deleting text messages off. that was only 6 features of the 100+ in the original post. and for another thing, you can in fact hide apps without installing 11 whole pages, look at the attachments below. in the first one, the dots with red circles are blank pages. in the second picture is when i hid the stocks app. so i hid an app with only four pages. the only problem is that they come back whenever you reset the device, enable then disable restrictions, or install an app form the app store but can you in fact hide them without 11 pages

Attachments

• IMG_0054.png
    IMG_0054.png
    178.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0055.png
    IMG_0055.png
    148.4 KB · Views: 58

larrymarshall2

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
Not sure if this was already mentioned, but another feather added was in the ipod. If you scrub through the song you do fast scrubbing or more subtle scrubbing by dragging your finger down the screen to activate more fine scrubbing to get to more precise areas of a song. Also the playhead circle highlights up now when you begin to scrub!

Demosthenes427

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
Yes, but is wallpaper lickable?

THE SNOZBERRIES TASTE LIKE SNOZBERRIES.

I'm liking most of the new subtle features. The only thing I have to complain about is the fact that there's some unusual black square on the lower left corner of my Camera app. Anyone feel like trying to explain this one away for me?

goodwilldrums

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
Oklahoma City
Not sure if this was already mentioned, but another feather added was in the ipod. If you scrub through the song you do fast scrubbing or more subtle scrubbing by dragging your finger down the screen to activate more fine scrubbing to get to more precise areas of a song. Also the playhead circle highlights up now when you begin to scrub!

The playhead circle also highlights when you scrub in YOUTUBE.

TheManOfSilver

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2004
Canada
OK, I'm sorry if this has been posted elsewhere!

But ...

1. How do you activate the percentage battery life I've seen some people have in OS 3.0?
  2. Has anyone figured out a way to get a unified inbox like in Mail.app, or is that still missing from the iPhone?

Thanks!

mikeinternet

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Oaklnad, CA
Think I found something new.

1st Gen. users with 3.0 now get the more accurate blue dot location in maps.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 59

Suspended
Jun 8, 2009
Kentucky, USA
I'm liking most of the new subtle features. The only thing I have to complain about is the fact that there's some unusual black square on the lower left corner of my Camera app. Anyone feel like trying to explain this one away for me?
If you take a photo it goes there, I don't like it much, but that's what it is.

Please someone, how do I fix my mail app and WiFinder?

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
Unfortunatley, a new feature is the playlist on the iphone are arranged with numbers at the end, not at the beginning of the list. So now,

the playlist in itunes has numbers first
the library in itunes has numbers last
the playlist has numbers last

I think they all need to be the same and all need to have numbers first.

oh, when I say numbers I mean
ie "311-Uplifter" as a playlist name. Thanks

TitoC

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Calendar Support

What the hell happened to being able to open a calendar event (.ics) directly from the Mail app on the iPhone? I specifically remember this being mentioned when 3.0 was first being announced. Oh, I see. Exchange users gets plenty of love, but us MAC users (i.e. iCal) get none. Nice Apple, nice.

djpaetkau

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2007
If you take a photo it goes there, I don't like it much, but that's what it is.

The same type of button was always there... I forget what it used to look like, but before it took you to your camera roll, which is exactly what this one does... the only difference is that this one shows you your most recent picture, rather than just a generic icon. I think it could be done a little more cleanly, it just looks off somehow to me, but it is a neat idea.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
is there a setting where you can turn off location services for the camera?!
it was one of the most annoying features ever since 2.0 was launched. i like location services for maps and whatnot, but having it popup every time i launch the camera is stupid.

iPhoneNYC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2007
I've ordered a 3GS that will arrive this coming week. In the meantime, I upgraded my 1st Gen to 3.0. Seeing that some people reported problems, I just wanted to post that it was as smooth as could be for me. By upgrading I at least get a taste of some of the new stuff while I wait for my phone. I would also report that Mobile Me was jammed up yesterday and there were times that there was no mail so the Apple servers were working pretty hard with all the activation.

gregnbrown

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2009
The bad (still)

No MMS (Yet)
No Tethering (Yet)
No Background Apps
Some iCal invites only displays ics attachment, so you can't add to your Calendar
Can't call phone number from meeting invite location
Text Message in foreground during call - no option to hang up call
Cut/Copy/Paste limited, for example, you can't paste a number in the dialer
Still no Flash Support

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
No MMS (Yet)
Cut/Copy/Paste limited, for example, you can't paste a number in the dialer

Is there a need for this? Usually all phone number are highlighted in blue, you just need to tap on them to make a call. As for copying and pasting a phone number to send to someone, I imagine you just need to tap and hold (just like copying URLs), but I haven't tried this yet.

floatingspirit

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
This is HUGE, but can you click addresses in Messages? That, I think, is crucial for when someone is like "let me send you the address". I guess you could C&P it now, but still...

about Notes, when did they become syncable? before 3.0? Cuz I don't think anyone mentioned they are getting synced. I've been dying for this.

ericksgotmac

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
Hmm.. I just called AT&T to ask why my "RAZR V3" isn't able to send multimedia text and they said because I have a iPhone Data Plan that it is conflicting with him activating my MMS service? So has anyone else heard this or is it just a bunch of poop?

scm256

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
E Mail Issue

I have several e-mails and in the old OS when I went into the Mail APP and hit the round arrow icon at the bottom left of the page the phone would check all accounts and they'd show how many mails had come in.
Since getting OS 3.0 when I do that the phone shows no mails but when I then go into each account individually the app finds the mails. I can't see any check box in the settings that would stop the mail from checking all the email accounts at once. Has anyone also noticed this or know how to "fix" the issue.
Thanks in advance.
SCM

GrimBlazer

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2009
Gotta tell you, the thing I am most excited about it the ability to dial a number out of a calendar appointment. I have conference calls on my calendar, and that's been a big pet peeve of mine that the alarm comes up, but I can't dial the call from the calendar appointment. Just went in a looked, and lo and behold, the phone numbers are clickable now. I still have to remember the conference code, but that's a lot easier to do then trying to remember or write down the whole thing before I dial it.

That was the one thing I missed when I got the 3G to replace a Treo, so now my life is complete...

Are you saying you can do this from the new iPhone 3G S? I have tried but can't find a way to dial a number directly from an appointment. Can you please elaborate? Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.