Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

List of Hidden iPhone 3.0 Features, Launch Unlimited Apps with Spotlight

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

MacRumors forum user bndoarn has organized a massive list of hidden 3.0 features. The list is over 96 individual features so far. Some are more significant than others, of course. Here are a few interesting highlights:

- There is no limit to the number of apps that can be installed (beside storage space). Once you reach the home screen limit, Apps installed after that are installed without an icon but can be accessed in Spotlight. You can also use this to hide any apple application (i.e. weather and stocks)
- In the Settings -> General -> Home Button you can now set the double click to the new search feature or the camera
- Notes now has data detectors. Links are clickable, phone numbers are callable, email address are emailable, and address are locatable (using Maps)
- When a phone call interrupts you, after the phone call you are taken back to the app you were in before you were interrupted
- You can now have 11 home screen pages instead of nine
- Now there is a different way to force quit apps. now you have to hold the sleep/wake button until the red slider appears, then you press and hold down the home button to quit the app

The first on the list is perhaps most notable, allowing you to use Spotlight as an application launcher to avoid swiping through pages and pages of apps and also installing more than the allotted number.

Article Link: List of Hidden iPhone 3.0 Features, Launch Unlimited Apps with Spotlight

alhasa

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
that new force quit thing could cause some confusion.. and hence loads of new forum posts :rolleyes:

mobi

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2004
Penn's Woods
"There is no limit to the number of apps that can be installed (beside storage space). Once you reach the home screen limit, Apps installed after that are installed without an icon but can be accessed in Spotlight."

Who wants to try this? Does this slow down the OS?

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
Im sure someone has posted it, but I didnt see it anywhere on here. The SMS icon is updated as well as the phone and ipod ones, they have have a diagonal line pattern.

awatte00

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008
La Porte, IN
spotlight

also if your on the first home page and hit the home button it brings up spotlight so you don't have to swipe also instead of setting it up for the double tap 

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
I like the simple feature that in Safari you can clear the page you are on and start a new one, by clicking the new page at the bottom right, instead of adding a new page, just close the current one and a blank will appear.

OddyOh

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
Regina, SK, Canada
podcasts - 2x speed is here, one touch

For me the best new feature is playing any podcast at 2x speed, or changing speeds on the fly. I no longer need my Automator script(s) or Doug's iTunes Applescripts to remaster everything as an Audiobook just to make it play faster. This single revelation will let me keep my iMac for another year. :)

Well done, easily worth $10 for my 2nd Gen Touch!

Maury

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2008
- When a phone call interrupts you, after the phone call you are taken back to the app you were in before you were interrupted

It's more general that that, when one app launches another, exiting that app will take you back to where you were. I've seen the same behavior exiting YouTube.

This is VERY VERY NICE.

Maury

For me the best new feature is playing any podcast at 2x speed, or changing speeds on the fly.

Yeah, I'm going to double the number of podcasts I get. It works really well.

Maury

Mugs

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
Walton-on-Thames, UK
hey, I was just wondering is it possible to get the battery to show the percentage of how much is left, cus I remember seeing this in the early builds and it's something I'd love to have. Thanks

Tokyo

macrumors member
May 7, 2002
Missed Feature

I don't think I have seen anyone mention the new feature in Mail settings to Load Remote Images--or more significantly, to NOT load them. This was missing previously, and meant spammers could track you whenever you opened an email with an image referenced in an HTML IMG tag. Which happened a lot if you used your finger to swipe-delete email--a gesture that all too often resulted in opening the email instead of deleting it. The new option to not load remote images is very welcome.

What they did not add but should have: bulk-mark-as-read, and all-accounts-in-one. WTF, Apple?

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
I've noticed before in Safari with multiple tabs open, going back to a previously used page would cause the page to refresh (due to lack of memory), and the back navigation button would be greyed out.

However, with 3.0, going back to a previous tab that refreshes when you access it doesn't grey out the back button anymore -- it actually keeps your list of previous pages intact.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
yes

that new force quit thing could cause some confusion.. and hence loads of new forum posts :rolleyes:

yes, I noticed this last night. I always try to force quite some apps when moving around, but it didn't work Good to know it is still there in some fashion, wonder why they didn't keep it the old way, I guess to make way for VC access

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.