List of Touch Problems - Need Fixes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by aidanpendragon, Sep 24, 2007.

1. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Let me start off by saying that I love the Touch, even my soon-to-be-replaced Week 37 model. Great device for video. Folks, don't be afraid or cancel your orders.

But, I've noticed a few glitches in the thing and was wondering what others you've seen. Though we could do a running list pulling these together.

-Auto-brightness/light sensor: doesn't seem to do much; turning off auto-brightness only makes it slightly brighter by a fixed amount. Turned it on at night outside, and my eyes fried - had to manually decrease the brightness almost all the way. Hope for a SOFTWARE fix.

-Battery level: my Touch seems to lose a lot of battery power just by turning on/off - then regain a little after it's on. Also hope this is SOFTWARE - maybe there's a less power-intensive boot procedure they could patch, or it's just the power monitoring software that's bad?

-Safari crashes: Self-explanatory. I've seen a few and read about many more. Obviously a SOFTWARE issue.

-Screens with poor/negative blacks: Sounds resolved by now, just listed for completeness.

And, one wish-list item:

-Playlists for videos: so entire seasons of a show don't clog the menu.

Overall, though, these appear to be software issues, so buy away & wait for updates!

2. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

1. Autobrightness works for me.
    2. Battery level: I think Apple got their figures by listening to music non-stop with the screen off and not touching any of the controls. I think the more you touch the screen and use it's graphical interface, the faster the battery drains.
    3. Safari crashes on mine too but, nothing a simple software fix can't handle.
    4. Not all screens are bad... Mine is perfect and when I say perfect I actually mean perfect. No black issues at all.
    5. A video playlist feature would be nice. You can do that on the iPod 5G... not sure why they would remove the feature for no reason.

I agree with you though... go ahead and buy the iPod Touch... it's 100x better than the other iPods.

3. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

I would REALLY love some flash support. What do you guys think the chances are of that happenening?

4. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

hopefully soon.

but to the OP, these problems have existed for the iPhone as well, so I feel your pain... The battery meter is probably software calculated so it probably takes a few minutes for it to readjust the values etc.

5. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Ditto on auto brightness.. seems to make absolutely no difference at all. Also crashing.

Ability to set default zoom level (I'd have it at at least 4* what it is now).
    Homepage button!
    Fix it so that it doesn't select links when you're scrolling a page and accidentaly brush over them (damned annoying!) or add a scroll bar.
    Release a stylus. Hopefully a 3rd party will release one of these.. typing is a pain in the *** at the moment.
    VPN for those who need it (doesn't affect me but it's worth adding as it's a bit of an odd ommission).
    Ability to watch videos 'upright'. At the moment you select videos upright then turn it on its side to watch them.. and turn it back again when you've finished.

6. RadioStar macrumors member

Music often stops playback when using Safari. Should be a software/firmware fix.

7. swanseastu macrumors member

swanseastu

a choice of how to display cover art would be good -i.e artist, or album, or track

8. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

How does it Clog your menu, I have 4 episodes of the chappelle show, and in my videos it only has the chappelle show, which I click to bring up individual shows

9. elfi macrumors newbie

- Alarm Clock silent without earphone (should use this internal transductor thing)
    - Coverflow not updated when re-activating after display-off
    - Background music stops playing when loading a bigger web page with safari
    - Slow web-page composition

10. hatcher146 macrumors 6502

dito.

i love this feature.

once you click videos it brings up all the seasons. and in parenthese it will say (5 episodes or whatever) and you tap once and it brings up all the videos.

on another note:
    YES SAFARI please fix this. it is really annoying.

11. Matteh117 macrumors regular

I think when scrolling on web pages there should be a delay (maybe you can set a custom time) before it renders the page -that way you can scroll scroll scroll then render rather than scroll render scroll render scroll render.

Yeah. Not a problem but, meh..

12. vwDavid macrumors regular

Yep, I get that too.

13. vwDavid macrumors regular

And if you have long file names for videos they are truncated and you can't really see which episode number you want.. They all say, for example, Prision Break S1 .... and the rest including episode # and title are truncated with no way to get info or view the whole name

14. DocVT macrumors member

On screen Home "button"

It is nice to be able to do almost everything on the screen with your finger, except go back to the home page. It is good to have a hardware button, but a soft button would be nice too. Just a thought.

15. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

How did you get this to work? When I have a few episodes of a certain show, they show up seperatly, so they are all listed in the Videos main menu, rather than clicking on the icon for that series, and then finding an episode you want.

Is there something in the settings you did? I got a few episodes of Comedy Central Stand-Up and they are all showed individually, same with my other shows...

16. daibach macrumors member

If you have only 2 episodes of a TV show or video podcast they're listed separately in the main video list. Once you have 3 or more they're listed in a sub-folder.

17. Hecklerdanny macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

I agree with most of these. What exactly is the purpose of having Auto Brightness turned on? Seriously. I'm not being sarcastic. All it does it make the screen a LOT more dim...So shouldn't it just be called "Screen Dimmer"?

18. agentkow macrumors 6502

agentkow

- Support for iTunes Folders: although I haven't got my iPod Touch yet, this one has me a little worried.

19. vwDavid macrumors regular

20. agentkow macrumors 6502

agentkow

Can anyone clarify this one: is this a feature request or a statement about how it currently works?

From what I've read, there is an internal speaker that allows you to have audible feedback when you're using the interface, and has a few built-in alarms that are supposed to be cheezy (according to iLounge).

21. DocVT macrumors member

Events support in the photos

I spent some time orgainizing my photos into events on my MacBook. Howerer, when they went to my iPod touch, there was no event support and I ended up with just a mass of pictures.

22. swanseastu macrumors member

swanseastu

one things also I have found frutrating, is when in Safari, typing a URL, if I want to highlight the URL and delete it or change it, when I run my finger over it (to highlight) it magnifys the URL in a bubble, and the only way to do it is with the backspace delete button :-(

23. DocVT macrumors member

I agree. When I had my touch (returned to BB due screen issue), I think I was able to tap the X at the end of the URL and it would clear the line to enter a new one (without the delete key).

24. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are these shows you've bought off iTunes? Video you encode yourself doesn't seem to do this.

...OH! Do you have to put TV shows under the separate "TV" icon in iTunes? Since I've been encoding a mix of TV and movies, I've just been drag-and-dropping them all into 1 location - the "Movies" location. If I put TV shows under TV, will they be grouped - even if I created & named myself?

I've seen others say the alarm only works through the headphones and won't play through the internal mini-speaker. Silly if that's true.

25. RadioStar macrumors member

Yeah. TV Shows that you rip yourself will, by default, be listed like Movies are - one at a time, in a big list. To make them display correctly, do the following:

1. Highlight the show you want, right-click (or whatever the Mac equivalent) and choose "Get Info".

2. Under the "Info" tab, change the "Name" field to whatever the episode title is; say, Bret Gives Up the Dream, or whatever.

3. Under the "Video" tab, fill in the information for "Show" (say, Flight of the Conchords), the "Season Number", the "Episode ID" (the episode title, Bret Gives Up the Dream) and the "Episode Number".

4. In the "Video Kind" drop-down box, select "TV Show".

5. Click OK.

Voila! Your shows should now be displayed correctly.