Listen up Steve Jobs it is really simple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidlw, Jul 16, 2008.

1. davidlw macrumors 6502a

Solving the battery problem is really quite simple. Build a replaceable battery phone and have a humpback battery that is up to the task. I have been using a humpback MOTO Q9 3G phone for months. It last all day and well into the night. It may not be the prettiest phone with its humpback but if the battery wears out, goes dead etc. presto slap another battery in there and off you go. Every phone on the planet has replaceable batteries, what is up with a non replaceable battery and a high capacity one to boot? Other than the battery the 3g iPhone is a winner. Now you have a lot of mad people because of the battery issue and the fix is there already and you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

2. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

I'd rather there be an infrastructure to wirelessly charge our phone wherever we go than have a humpback phone. :cool:
    Even the current iPhone is too thick for me. I certainly wouldn't want an even thicker device - or oddly shaped device.

This can also apply to laptops, other music players, etc etc.

3. davidlw thread starter macrumors 6502a

If humpback phones don't appeal to people, then at least a user replaceable battery phone so you could carry a spare and slap it into the phone and you are off and running. I am into function not style. My gosh this is not rocket science, every other phone has this feature.

4. chewietobbacca macrumors 6502

I'm sure they can use that ipod connector at the bottom for a humpback somehow.

This is one situation where I absolutely agree that form should NOT be over function. If they really want the iphone to be taken seriously among enterprise users, especially a 3G phone with all the features (that also suck battery life), they need to allow it to be up to task in real world use where battery power may run out before your day is complete, and you do not have the ability to set the phone to charge until night.

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i think that if you are into function not style, apple is well, not too say it doenst work, but a lot is sacrificed just for style...

6. davidlw thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I could just slap another battery in half way thru the day I would be happy. I run a business and need that phone to ring or I dont make a living. I cant be playing around with a phone that wont get me thru the day. Don't get mad folks but my 3G BB Curve never died on me. To a business person a cell phone is his or her life blood and wasting time charging a phone etc. is not making them any money but costing him or her time and money. That my friends is one reason BB has been the king of Business phones.

7. pflau macrumors 6502

There are already after market batteries for both iPods and iPhones. If your iPhone runs out of juice you just slap one of those on. I really really really don't see what some people's problem is. I am mad because people making up issues where there is none. I love the iPhone 3G the way it is. There are already solutions out there if you need more battery life. Google it instead of coming here and complaint complaint complaint.

8. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Just say no to humpback phones.

Unless you are going on a wilderness trek, it is pretty hard to get away from electricity, so just have the proper equipment and give your phone a charge once in awhile. Be it in a socket, in a car or off a laptop, whereever you are you can't be too far.

9. higgalls macrumors regular

Definately agree - especially if you are constantly using your phone, which it sounds like Davidlw is if he has to buy extended batteries for other phones.
    Its simple - the iPhone does not have a replacable battery or 'humpback' therefore don't buy the phone if it is such a problem. Or, take a charger with you. As has been said, every other phone has a replacable battery, so maybe the iPhone isn't for you. For me, I love the iPhone, and my normal usage EASILY gets me through 24 hours (haven't tested it more than that since I got it a week ago, as I charge every night).

10. VideoShooter macrumors regular

Personally - I wouldn't mind the humpback if it worked ALL DAY.

I HOPE HOPE HOPE someone will come up with a 3rd party solution to modify the iPhone with a new FAT BACK to allow a HUGE battery that will last all day.
    I would pay another $100 if the phone had twice the battery life. I didn't mind carrying around my chubby Treo 650.

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this. I love the sleek beauty... but I need some damn battery life. It makes me want two phones. But I ain't a cheater.

11. bobbba macrumors regular

Not happy with the battery life?
    Want a phone with an exchangable battery?

It's easy, buy a different phone and move on, this one isn't for you...

12. LoganT macrumors 68020

There is case that allows you to plug it into your iPhone and use it as an external battery. It's actually quite nice, you constantly charge the case and when your battery is running low just plug it into the case and your phone is charged. Not sure what it's called.

13. RevolutionOne macrumors member

RevolutionOne

I've owned dozens of phones, every single one which has a replaceable battery. It is a great idea but out of all those phones, I never did bother buying a spare battery.

What makes it less of a need to have a replaceable battery on the iPhone is the charging convenience. Majority of people who own one will generally work with computers. Keep a usb cable handy, and charge it.

14. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

15. GreenLightJerky macrumors member

Was it the Mophie Juicepack?
    http://www.mophie.com/

16. TemeculaMac macrumors regular

17. dancavallaro macrumors regular

Uhh.. which port do you use to charge yours then?

18. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

19. rayward macrumors 68000

No less out of place than a hump-backed iPhone.

I find it annoying and amusing at the same time, that people clamoured for a 3G iPhone and now bitch about battery life as if any other 3G phone doesn't have its battery mashed by 3G.

Also, rapid battery drain is also going to result from the heavy usage of the iPhone. No other phone can do what an iPhone can - especially now with all the new apps - so no other phone gets as much daily use as an iPhone.

And as for form over function, it's the form of Apple products that is a major part of the appeal. The iPhone wouldn't be such a global phenomenon if it looked like a BlackBerry with an Apple logo.

20. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

You're aware that this is Apple we're talking about here, right?

21. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So your solution is to make the iPhone fugly and destroy it's form factor? Excellent...I'm sure Jobs and Ives won't have any problems with that. There are already plenty of 3rd party solutions to this...

22. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Awesome...can you explain to us how you charge your iPhone?

23. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Yeah, someone will make a slidy-humpback with connector like they used to have for the iPAQ Pocket PC.

BTW - Anyone want to buy an iPAQ? :D

24. dancavallaro macrumors regular

beaten by me, 4 hours ago :D