Live Coverage of Apple's iPhone X Event at Steve Jobs Theater

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. c3po7 macrumors regular

c3po7

There’s always the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus?

2. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

The price (outside of the US or HK) does not warrant the features of the new iPhone X, if it also included under display TouchID and real wireless charging as in a few feet away I would get it, now I am most likely skip it.

3. dmylrea macrumors 68020

dmylrea

You mean the 7s and 7s Plus? Nothing about them is big enough to make it a new model.

4. TonnyTech macrumors newbie

Microsoft went from Windows 8 straight to Windows 10, now Apple announces the iphone 8 and the iphone X (10)...What's wrong with the number 9?

5. MH01 Suspended

MH01

I looked at the phone and it unlocked.... it's the use case that sucks, not the implementation . Hope you understand that.

iPhone 8 or less , much better experience than unlocking your phone with your face

6. UL2RA Suspended

No I don’t. And apparently neither do you.

7. fumi2014 macrumors member

yeah, I didn't enjoy it. I guess I'm just getting old and so forth but I look at these people self-congratulating themselves, drowning in money and spending their time creating animated poo emoji on $1000 dollar phones while on the BBC News, I'm watching people with no food or water in Bangladesh, living in mountains of filth and disease.

We live in unequal times. That's not Apple's or any other tech companies fault but showing a good deal more restraint and humility and not a giant circular shrine of glass costing billions might be better in our times.

8. DevNull0 macrumors 68000

I watched it with a buddy at work. Right through Andherts parts, we were just laughing and saying does she even know what Apple sells? There was zero mention of anything that Apple does; her part could have been cut and pasted to just about any consumer goods company in any sector.

When he was introducing the 4k I just kept repeating he can't be talking about 4k like that. My friend said there's no way he is, he's got to come up with 5k or something else. And 4k-HDR is just total BS. HDR is a technique to compensate for the fact that cameras have a smaller dynamic range than the eye. It makes sense when you're taking or processing pictures. When you're watching a movie or consuming content the creator has given you the video in the way it's meant to be viewed.

9. Pilgrim1099 Suspended

Agreed!

Sad that Apple thinks it can change the world with Animojis.

10. whtrbt7 macrumors 65816

The funny thing is that the Animojis will probably change humanity. It’s also the first step towards virtual image conferencing which was only a Sci-Fi kind of thing at first. Animojis will probably be a huge hit just for the entertainment factor. I can see a bunch of memes or whatever springing from this sadly. Goes to show you what we collectively are capable of doing...

11. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Sweet!!

Yes
    KeepOnLovin' (Ft Seinabo Sey)
    By MagnusThemagnus
    https://bnc.lt/Scoe/UBsGlaJt0D

Cheers!

Edit shoot same intro I didn't realized we captured both. Getting it now.
    https://bnc.lt/Scoe/DJKw9JS4YD

Same artist tack "Area".

That's a first for Apple.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2017 ---
    True but I don't care. That just makes my 256GB iPhone 7 all the more sweeter. During AppleCare replacements. Limited metal back plates along with colour and storage weeee.

Still I'm very shocked NO resolution increases for IP8. sad really since Schiller mentioned new "retina displays" for them.

Ps: I find it funny every presenter except two made mistakes from the TelePrompTers ; interesting.

Attached Files:

12. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

An ignorant statement making false generalizations acting as if you can speak for Steve Jobs. In which in case you can't, because you didn't know him then and you certainly don't have the understanding to predict his mindset today if he was still here.

13. c3po7 macrumors regular

c3po7

True, just general upgrades to the cpu and camera i think.

You know, in Australia the iPhone X is priced at $1800+ including tax ... that’s unbelievable. Still, I’ll be getting one.

14. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

Well, if it's come to that, may as well get free electricity out of it....
    [​IMG]

15. uuaschbaer macrumors regular

uuaschbaer

Made me look up this sony playstation press conference and realize that we've been looking at AR demos for 10 years. I'm now going to sell my electronics and move into a barrel.

16. AsherN macrumors 6502

If only someone could invent a system where the phone unlocks by itslef, and remains that way based on where it is, or what it is paired with.

Oh, wait, my old Nexus5 did that 4 years ago.

17. AfridiGerrard786 macrumors newbie

AfridiGerrard786

Wondering if it's worth giving them a call to see what they can offer. EE have some good deals if you can haggle them down

18. mac4good84 macrumors regular

I'll take a peak at these phones in store and make a more informed observation then but for now one thing that's bothering me with the iPhone X is this; why didn't they make Touch ID an alternate option? If they couldn't make the tech work by the end of this year, why not save the X for next year so you could give people both options? A phone that costs $1000 baseline should include both of these options, I just don't really see how they can justify that. Its one thing to charge a premium, quite another to charge over the top. I love Apple products don't get me wrong, but this price point for a phone with no touch ID is something I disagree with. Yes, Face ID may work well after using it, I understand that. But Touch ID has been such an instrumental, fundamental tool since it came out that when I ask most people what one of their top features is on their iPhones, Touch ID comes to mind all the time.

Why get rid of Touch ID when 3D touch, something that seems to be used far less, is still implemented in these phones? Sure, iOS 11 will continue to make more use out of 3D touch and while I don't mind having it in the slightest, I certainly don't use it to the extent like I do with Touch ID. I know this is an initial rant not having used this phone yet, but I really wish Apple would have just waited for the screen tech to be good enough to give us the options.

Also, why only a 5.8 inch version of the X? Sure, the bezels are smaller and take up less space, but I used the 6+ once for over 2 years and that thing was a behemoth. I'll have to hold the X in my hands just to see if it would work but why no smaller option like the 6 and 7 and 8 iPhones? I suspect, again, due to not being able to produce the OLED displays due to shortages may be the reason why they could not roll out a smaller option. That screen looks INCREDIBLE, I won't deny that, that will be one reason alone I may even consider this phone, and the look of it looks pretty slick in my opinion. But in the end, these are the main gripes I have, at least the ones I can think of off the top of my head. We'll see what happens...

19. Alan Wynn macrumors member

I will make your life easier so you will not have to waste time looking at Apple product announcements, no Apple phone other than a possible update to the iPhone SE will have a 3.5mm jack again. This should also save us all time reading posts from you that tell us that having a 3.5mm jack is the requirement for you to buy a phone. We understand your requirements and that Apple does not meet them. Fortunately, you may buy any number of Android devices with 3.5mm jacks.

20. DeepIn2U, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017

DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Old thread I know ... yet just wanted to post an FYI ...

34:40 into this even shows Bertrand Serlet, 2 rows above Steve Wozniak to the left. Still good to see he's a die hard Mac User, Apple fan after a few years away from the company! A true Apple Alumni. Not sure why the press didn't pickup on this considering his amazing contributions and overall well liked amongst the MacOS/OSX community.

EDIT: Not sure if anyone else is aware ... but Serlet used to work for Xerox Parc (1 year or same year he moved from France to the USA). Most Impresseive, consider the timeline of the O.G. Macintosh launch and then Jobs creating NeXT and Bertrand joining him both there and Jobs' return on Apple. Serlet may have been the KEY KING-PIN of Apple's success beyond Jobs himself from being on the brink of extinction.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/bertrandserlet

• SW Engineering
      Apple Inc.
      February 1997 – March 2011 (14 years 2 months)
    • SW Engineer; Director
      NeXT
      January 1989
      – February 1997 (8 years 2 months)
    • Researcher
      Xerox PARC
      September 1984 – December 1988 (4 years 4 months)

Attached Files: