Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cynerjist

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
Thank you, on behalf of the "staff" here. I'm glad our live coverage worked, our photo feed worked, the forums stayed up and running, and our servers held up. It wasn't luck; it took a lot of planning and effort by arn, Knox, Mudbug, longofest, jsw, and everyone else who helped. (You know who you are.)

You guys did a terrific job. Thanks for your hard work.

i spent my lunch hour eating crackers at my desk with MR. the pics worked fine all the way through for me.

ogun7

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2001
Thank you, on behalf of the "staff" here. I'm glad our live coverage worked, our photo feed worked, the forums stayed up and running, and our servers held up. It wasn't luck; it took a lot of planning and effort by arn, Knox, Mudbug, longofest, jsw, and everyone else who helped. (You know who you are.)

About Engadget: We had different types of coverage. Our feed was fast and furious, about the soonest you could get the news on the Internet, and designed to serve a huge number of site visitors with the lowest possible bandwidth. Engadget provided more of a transcript of what was said, and some larger photos, on a very large web page. Their coverage was delayed a few minutes and site visitors had to wait for a large page to load. It's good that both types of coverage are available, since the choice is a personal preference.

I been hitting this site forever (since '01, baby) mainly because you guys are what make Mac users great: smart, relentless about technology, fair and open-minded, but most of all, excellent

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
No Mini updates? Boo!!

Although I'm very impressed with the Apple TV, and even more impressed with tue iPhone (Although thats not for me, too expencive) I really wanted to see updates to the Mac Mini as I intend to buy one as soon as they get Core 2 Duo and 802.11n, along with an Apple TV and Airport Extreme BS.

I think a Mini update to C2D and 802.11n would be the kind of thing they would just do as a silent update, really. Just one day they release bumped up Mac minis, and that's it.

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
I gotta admit, I'm a bit disappointed as well. The iPhone, while cool, just isn't something I could see myself buying (especially at that price point). The iTV/AppleTV barely interests me at all unless it has the ability to load non-iTunes content, which doesn't seem to be in the cards right now.

I was really looking forward to a Leopard preview, and had pretty much committed to buying iWork '07 (a spreadsheet app would be really useful) and maybe iLife depending on the feature set. Replacing my iPod wasn't out of the question either.

As cool as the two announcements were, they really wasn't the broad scope of announcements I was hoping for (and have come to expect in the past).

Andrew Beard

greenstork

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2003
Seattle,WA
I've been coming to this site for years of keynote addresses and I'll be one of the first to say that I was disappointed with the coverage. The keynote live blogging stream was incoherent at best. It wasn't until I went over to Engadget where they spoke in entire sentences was I able to understand all of the details.

The stream notes reminded me of someone taking notes from a class or something -- fine if you're using those notes to remember something you've seen, but difficult to understand for someone who wasn't actually there.

One suggestion for next time... please try to use complete sentences and quotes when possible.

mistafreeze

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
apple tv plays
H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): 640 by 480, 30 fps, LC version of Baseline Profile

i imagine visualHub will convert any content to itv ready

if you can add movies/music/pictures to external hd and play w/o mac being on i'd be very happy

i want an isight =\

ogun7

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2001
My Palm TX: dead
My Nano: dead
My RAZR V3i: dead

JZ Wire

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2003
Miami, FL
Grrr!

not one peep about leopard? not one peep about new iwork, ilife? maybe i missed something on macrumorslive... if not, i am pretty disappointed! the iphone only works with cingular. bad, very bad. i am not about to switch just because of the iphone. price with 2 year contract is 499 and 599? way too high. i was really looking forward to this keynote, but have been left wanting much more...

You're not the only one bud. I left Cingular about 6 months ago so now im screwed and the price is too much for me. Not only that but nothing will be out for a while. Nothing about anything else, not even Leopard. :(

Whistleway

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2005
Great coverage. Live Photos were awesome. Thanks for the great work, MacRumors.

Regarding keynote, it is possibly the worst one till date. It is a no-show, as far as I am concerned.

alexf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2004
Planet Earth
Sad

Man, what a dissapointing Keynote... :(

I have no interest in either the iPhone (although admittedly cool but way overpriced) or Apple TV. I was really hoping for one of the rumors pertaining to what Apple used to be about (i.e. computers) to be true.

Apple has become so swept away by the popularity and profits of the iPod / iTunes that everything else it does seems to be suffering from a severe lack of innovation.

Sorrry to sound like a troll or party pooper, but just felt like expressing my thoughts somewhere.

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
CNBC announced that they will have an interview with Steve Jobs on the "Closing Bell" program which begins at 3pm Eastern time (20mins from now).

Its actually at 4 Eastern, in case someone out there is still wanting to see it :)

EDIT: Make that 4:30 EST

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Man, what a dissapointing Keynote... :(

I have no interest in either the iPhone (although admittedly cool but way overpriced) or Apple TV. I was really hoping for one of the rumors pertaining to what Apple used to be about (i.e. computers) to be true.

Apple has become so swept away by the popularity and profits of the iPod / iTunes that everything else it does seems to be suffering from a severe lack of innovation.

Sorrry to sound like a troll or party pooper, but just felt like expressing my thoughts somewhere.

a) The iPhone is a computer (hell, it is actually running OS X, which makes it more of a "computer" than most other phones out there).

b) I think it is absolutely mindblowing that Apple can be criticized as suffering from a severe lack of innovation after what they have just shown off with the iPhone. If you want to see a severe lack of innovation, go watch Microsoft's CES keynote.

c) Even if you aren't specifically interested in the iPhone itself, it is notable for a lot of reasons. First, since it is running OS X, it has the potential to expand the market for OS X itself. That means more developers interested in developing for OS X, which is good for people even if they don't use the iPhone at all. And it is also good just for expanding the platform. The iPod has had a halo effect just by being associated with Apple, but the iPhone will really give people the "OS X" experience and be a great selling tool to convince more people to buy Macs. This is great for everyone.

And finally, for those not interested in the iPhone specifically, the technology behind it is still of great interest I think to Mac users and iPod users. I fully expect the tech behind it to make its way to future Macs and iPods as well.

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
I've been coming to this site for years of keynote addresses and I'll be one of the first to say that I was disappointed with the coverage. The keynote live blogging stream was incoherent at best. It wasn't until I went over to Engadget where they spoke in entire sentences was I able to understand all of the details.

The stream notes reminded me of someone taking notes from a class or something -- fine if you're using those notes to remember something you've seen, but difficult to understand for someone who wasn't actually there.

One suggestion for next time... please try to use complete sentences and quotes when possible.

Admittedly, the coverage at Engadget was hands down better, though lagging by a little bit. But I think its important to realise that Arn and the crew did their best. Having said that, I'd also like to see an improved coverage in future (even if this means sacrificing a few seconds guys!)

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
I wish that Apple would get an indie band to perform instead of John Mayer or what ever his name is.

How about Wolf Parade, Modest Mouse, Broken Social Scene, Sleater-Kinney, Asobi Seksu...etc. Some band with more energy that appeals to the young, the independents.

IMO I don't think John Mayo is all that great of an artist. And that recent photo posted on MR does not do much to change my opinion.

Please Apple get another Keynote Closing band.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
a) The iPhone is a computer (hell, it is actually running OS X, which makes it more of a "computer" than most other phones out there).

b) I think it is absolutely mindblowing that Apple can be criticized as suffering from a severe lack of innovation after what they have just shown off with the iPhone. If you want to see a severe lack of innovation, go watch Microsoft's CES keynote.

c) Even if you aren't specifically interested in the iPhone itself, it is notable for a lot of reasons. First, since it is running OS X, it has the potential to expand the market for OS X itself. That means more developers interested in developing for OS X, which is good for people even if they don't use the iPhone at all. And it is also good just for expanding the platform. The iPod has had a halo effect just by being associated with Apple, but the iPhone will really give people the "OS X" experience and be a great selling tool to convince more people to buy Macs. This is great for everyone.

And finally, for those not interested in the iPhone specifically, the technology behind it is still of great interest I think to Mac users and iPod users. I fully expect the tech behind it to make its way to future Macs and iPods as well.

apple need t show more to convince me this phone "actually run OSX", so far, its quite palm-PDA-like.

I believe OSX/Mac are superior than this phone, and what tech behind this phone can "make its way to future Macs"? in your opinion?

I agree this phone is prototype of future iPods, just wonder how apple is going to avoid the market competition between this phone and future iPods.

Again, this phone is quite Palm-PDA-like, with much better UI, but not that far as a "computer" yet.

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
I wish that Apple would get an indie band to perform instead of John Mayer or what ever his name is.

How about Wolf Parade, Modest Mouse, Broken Social Scene, Sleater-Kinney, Asobi Seksu...etc. Some band with more energy that appeals to the young, the independents.

IMO I don't think John Mayo is all that great of an artist. And that recent photo posted on MR does not do much to change my opinion.

Please Apple get another Keynote Closing band.

I think a guy like John Mayer is sort of a "safe bet" who plays a style of music that appeals to a fairly wide group, and at least is inoffensive to people who don't specifically like him. The problem with trying to pick an indie band is that they are more likely to only appeal to smaller segments (nothing wrong with that, but it's just one of the differences between a lot of indie bands and why they aren't "mainstream").

apple need t show more to convince me this phone "actually run OSX", so far, its quite palm-PDA-like.

I believe OSX/Mac are superior than this phone, and what tech behind this phone can "make its way to future Macs"? in your opinion?

I agree this phone is prototype of future iPods, just wonder how apple is going to avoid the market competition between this phone and future iPods.

Again, this phone is quite Palm-PDA-like, with much better UI, but not that far as a "computer" yet.

What more does Apple need to show you exactly? They've already shown off iTunes, Safari, Dashboard widgets, etc. running on it. I use a Treo 650 and this completely blows away what my Treo is capable of (hell, I would buy this just to not have to use Palm's crappy "Blazer" web browser). It seems PDA like probably because the specific apps they've shown off for it are optimized more for PDA/phone type use, but the full functioanlity is well beyond most PDA OS's.

As far as future tech that will make its way into Macs; the big one from what I have seen would seem to be the multitouch interface, which I think is a natural to find its way into future Mac portables, and possibly even desktops (this could blow away the recently introduced HP TouchSmart desktop).

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
What more does Apple need to show you exactly? They've already shown off iTunes, Safari, Dashboard widgets, etc. running on it. I use a Treo 650 and this completely blows away what my Treo is capable of (hell, I would buy this just to not have to use Palm's crappy "Blazer" web browser). It seems PDA like probably because the specific apps they've shown off for it are optimized more for PDA/phone type use, but the full functioanlity is well beyond most PDA OS's.
looks better than palm? absolutely yes
more like a computer than palm? probably slightly
can do most work a computer can do? probably no

they already show off iTunes, safari, dashboard, etc, but thats all. a OS can do more than that, right?

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
looks better than palm? absolutely yes
more like a computer than palm? probably slightly
can do most work a computer can do? probably no

they already show off iTunes, safari, dashboard, etc, but thats all. a OS can do more than that, right?

Well, yes, of course. This is the point though, it can run the full iTunes, the full Safari, etc. It is OS X. People can make other apps to do a wide variety of things. The capabilities are much closer to OS X than something like Palm OS.

Will you do all the work a computer can do? That's a good question. Heck, a Palm PDA can do some of the things a computer can do (i.e. use DocumentsToGo to edit MS Word docs), but whether this iPhone would be used that way remains to be seen.

Again, I'm not sure what other convincing you need to know that it actually does run OS X, beyond that Apple has already said it and shown it running OS X apps and capabilities, far beyond what Palm OS is capable of.

Marlor

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2005
I just woke up (the Keynote was at 3AM in our time zone) and am looking through the coverage, and all I have to say is:

What? No iLife?

I've been holding off purchasing a MacBook so I could get one with iLife '07, and was planning to order one today, and I must say that I am bitterly disappointed. I really don't want to order one now, because iLife could be released at any moment.

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
I just woke up (the Keynote was at 3AM in our time zone) and am looking through the coverage, and all I have to say is:

What? No iLife?

I've been holding off purchasing a MacBook so I could get one with iLife '07, and was planning to order one today, and I must say that I am bitterly disappointed. I really don't want to order one now, because iLife could be released at any moment.

If I was holding off until now to buy a MacBook, I would just as soon hold off until the Spring when I could get a MacBook with Leopard (and presumably iLife 07 as well, which I wouldn't have expected to already be available for sale).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.