Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pedregosa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
I’ve just discovered something... Maybe everyone else knows already, but I didn’t until this week (even though I thought I was proficient with my AW!)...

I’d been waiting for radio apps like TuneIn to start streaming live radio to the cellular Apple Watch without a phone being present. Can’t understand why they don’t, as Watch OS now supports this. But it turns out that you can stream just about any radio station live through Siri. Just say “Hey Siri” and then “”Play (name of radio station).” Sometimes you have to try a couple of things to identify the radio station in a way that Siri understands, but it works great. I just did a run without my phone listening to live radio.

This is not to be confused with the Radio app on the Watch, which only broadcasts a small number of stations (and is really an extension of Apple Music). What I’m talking about requires no app other than Siri.

Anyway, maybe everyone else knew this already. But I thought I’d post this in case there are others who didn’t.

Here’s a link to Apple’s support page mentioning this feature:

https://support.apple.com/guide/watch/radio-apdb8051ca2c/watchos

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
That’s cool. Thanks for pointing it out. I’ve tried to use the watch to listen to a few games on espn radio, using the radio app but oftentimes it just didn’t work. This is a great alternative

GC251114

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2015
Afternoon all.

Great app called Streamlets is what you need to download. Exclusive for Apple Watch. Great catalogue of radio stations from around the world. Leave your phone at home , open the app & select the station you want. Streams over LTE/Cellular & will pair too AirPods/Similar or play through watch speaker.

Check it out. Superb & New version already submitted to Apple which includes new search feature.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
Afternoon all.

Great app called Streamlets is what you need to download. Exclusive for Apple Watch. Great catalogue of radio stations from around the world. Leave your phone at home , open the app & select the station you want. Streams over LTE/Cellular & will pair too AirPods/Similar or play through watch speaker.

Check it out. Superb & New version already submitted to Apple which includes new search feature.

thanks for the suggestion. does a decent job, only a little buggy, but not much to get upset about :)

any other suggestions?

pedregosa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Following up on my earlier post in this thread, once you use Siri to get a radio stream, it then shows up in the Radio app going forward. So if I’ve been using that — but have also been using Streamlets, which someone else recommended and which is great. Occasionally, one works and the other doesn’t, but both options are pretty solid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.