live wallpaper not working?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by azfalcons, Sep 25, 2015.

1. azfalcons Suspended

azfalcons

Is there a trick to get the live wallpaper to work?

2. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

3. azfalcons thread starter Suspended

azfalcons

4. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

No

5. Dtsantos macrumors newbie

I thought the same thing. Kind of a let down...

6. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

I'm genuinely shocked how incompetently Apple handled this feature. I mean, seriously, if we have to hold down on it what's the point? We'd like to see it move whenever we wake the phone, not have to go out of our way to press down on the screen before unlocking. If we didn't want to see it move on its own.. Get this... We'd use a static wallpaper!

7. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

While I agree it would be nice to have, problem is it would eat up battery/resources every time the screen lights up. I am sure they can enable that feature via software at some point and add an option to enable/disable it but it's only available via 3D touch right now.

8. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I stopped in Best Buy this morning and the new phones on display had the fish moving. Wonder how they did that? Mine only moves if I touch it and I went through every possible setting trying to turn it on to no avail.

9. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

I don't think battery life is a concern whatsoever. Only have it move on its own during the lock screen, on the home screen make it 3D Touch to move (if it even moves on home screen, idk).

10. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

They are demo units so maybe that's how it is. If you locked it and went back to the lock screen, was it still moving on its own?

11. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

Didn't try that. I picked up my phone at UPS prior to my brief stop at Best Buy and just noticed the phones on display. I was anxious to get home and play with my own phone.

12. grinny11 macrumors regular

Very confused by this as well. Should be automatic for the lock screen

13. supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

I agree. Utterly pointless if I still have to press down on the screen to animate it. As for battery concerns, it's no different from the dynamic wallpapers, I'd use a static photo if I were concerned about battery. Hopefully they can give us the option of automatically go through one loop of animation via software update in the future.

14. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

15. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

The first fish was on my lockscreen less than 5 minutes before I was back to my old static wallpaper. I get the idea and think it would be better if I had a more personal image but with the default choices, I don't see myself using it. Not calling it bad but with the speed of the touch ID, I will never see the lockscreen wallpaper much anyhow.

16. DeftwillP macrumors 6502

Does live wallpaper not work for the homescreen? I've tried 3D touching the background in an area where there's no apps and it won't move.

17. briand05 macrumors 6502

Yes only works on the lock screen, this confused me at first too.

18. DeftwillP macrumors 6502

Seems kind of silly that you can even assign it to homescreen then, no?

19. grinny11 macrumors regular

Seems odd that WatchOS has automatic video watch faces of cities but the phone does not automatically show the video.

20. PantalonesSucia macrumors member

PantalonesSucia

Thank you. I couldn't figure it out.

21. gmikesell macrumors regular

WOW! I just spent an hour on the phone with AppleCare rep. She said it should be animated. She had me do some different resets and when that didn't work, had me do a remote diagnostics. She then said that there appears to be a hardware issue with my phone. We then proceeded to put a $940 charge hold on my card and a separate $31 ship and handling fee on my card, as well. I still didn't think that made sense so continued to google and found this thread and yep, it did exactly as all of you explained. Only animates if touch-held on the lock screen. Dear gawd, how lame!!!! And now I have to get them to cancel the whole thing so I can get the holds released. Can't even believe this! Just wow! Lol

22. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Never panic.

Also, it's dumb that you can set it as your home screen.

Oh, and I like that it only animates when you press it.

23. Rayy42 macrumors 6502

Rayy42

I'm sure it will be fixed with a software update.

Still stinks that one of the main features of the new iPhone doesn't work automatically right out of the gate.

24. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

It was never supposed to be automatic. Look at the announcement again. They were very clear about how it works.

25. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

I agree. What's worse is that you have to press down pretty hard just to get it to work. Useless "feature" & I have no clue why they haven't updated their dynamic wallpapers. They've have had the same ones since iOS 7.