Living without a computer

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
OK, I have to go cold turkey for a week or so... well, semi-cold as I'll have my work Mac and PC but my beloved home Mac is all currently cold, dark and quiet and will be for a week or so.

Withdrawal symptoms almost instantly. Within minutes of yanking out the power cord, I felt a little sad. Later in the evening, this sadness had evolved into a craving to reconnect my favourite toy and mess round with it.

I can't fully access my emails, nor use the evenings for MR, watch DVDs or do a whole bunch of stuff that keeps the hours and days occupied.

Honestly, how do you feel when you don't have access to your Mac or your regular computer for a length of time?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Blue Velvet said:
OK, I have to go cold turkey for a week or so... well, semi-cold as I'll have my work Mac and PC but my beloved home Mac is all currently cold, dark and quiet and will be for a week or so.

Withdrawal symptoms almost instantly. Within minutes of yanking out the power cord, I felt a little sad. Later in the evening, this sadness had evolved into a craving to reconnect my favourite toy and mess round with it.

I can't fully access my emails, nor use the evenings for MR, watch DVDs or do a whole bunch of stuff that keeps the hours and days occupied.

Honestly, how do you feel when you don't have access to your Mac or your regular computer for a length of time?
I hate it!!

But I often use that time to do things that are healthy for me and I should be doing...like going for a walk, a bike, reading...music.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
I feel your pain.

I just sold my iBook, and will be computerless (except for at work) for two weeks or so until I get a PM.

I'm barely home, so hopefully I can manage this hardship :D

Applespider

macrumors G4
All the symptoms of addiction-withdrawal come into effect, the shakes start, your brain can't think of anything else, you focus on how you can get your fix... disaster! I'm not so sure it's the computer itself; it's how dependent you get on having information at your fingertips and now having to wait that's the problem.

I suspect I'd have to line lots of things up to keep me out of the house and doing other things. I might arrange to meet people, go to shows/exhibitions I haven't seen yet or do something creative with hands so that I feel like I'm so busy I wouldn't have time to go on the computer if it was there.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Blue Velvet said:

there is always tivo :D

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I don't have much of a problem as long as I'm not in my usual environment. So when I'm travelling, hiking, whatever, I'm fine without a computer.

If I was at home, alone, all day without a computer (as opposed to home alone all day with a computer, as is usually the case), that might be hard. It would also be hard to create such a situation since I have six computers! I think the only way it would be possible is with a power outage.

That's hardly a fair comparison, though, since I wouldn't be just without computers, but also without TV, music, lights, etc.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
wordmunger said:
I think the only way it would be possible is with a power outage.
That happened to me once. The power went out for the better part of the day. My home was so quiet. Everybody was away, except me.

I just sat in my chair looking stupid the whole time.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Well, with a 4-year old running around the house, there's always something else to do, usually involving a path of destruction. ;)

I suppose, if all of our three computers were inoperable for a time and I had no means of surfing the net or watching a DVD, I'd be filling my indoor downtime reading books (I've a stack of 20 or so I have yet to read, and it seems like it's getting larger) and/or magazines. That's definitely the one recreation that has suffered the most since computing (well, just MR really) entered my life.

What's wrong with your baby?

btw, Lacero, I'm not sure how I was able to keep from replying to your post. Maybe it was just too easy...

oreomac

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2005
It's so hard, I feel lost if I'm in my usual environment but if I'm on vacation then I can cope fine.

I'm sort of without the internet at the moment, as I've got my iBook but I'm staying at a friends house so I can only access the internet when he's not on his computer. :( I'm going to get a router so we can share the connection. I think it will be worth the money

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I love my Macs... but what I miss most is access to email (which, thank God, my phone can do when it chooses to have reception). And... MR. I love you guys. :eek: Seriously, I go through withdrawal when I leave for any period of time, then I feel embarrassed and like an outsider when I come back.

As far as the Macs themselves go, I miss them too... but not nearly so much as the connectivity they provide.

ijimk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2004
Here
this is very tough espc. for those of us who depend on our cpus for more than work purposes. I feel your pain brother

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Ahhh this is my area of expertise: * Retail Therapy is required! *

Proceed immediately to the Apple Store, Regent Street. Do not pass GO. Do not collect £200 (although actually this might help). Purchase a PowerBook/iBook and find yourself a little wifi hotspot and a nice cup of coffee to help you through this troubled time.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
dietcokevanilla said:
Ahhh this is my area of expertise: * Retail Therapy is required! *

Proceed immediately to the Apple Store, Regent Street. Do not pass GO. Do not collect £200 (although actually this might help). Purchase a PowerBook/iBook and find yourself a little wifi hotspot and a nice cup of coffee to help you through this troubled time.
Good Advice.

Although, do stop for the 200 pounds. :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I personally find it a bit surprising and upsetting that none of our London members has offered BV a spare Mac to use. Shame, shame on you! ;)

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
It's difficult, but primarily due to being able to access the information I'm so used to - news, sports, MR, e-mail, etc. Being without it for extended periods is frustrating, even if planned for.

Unplanned outages are even worse.

jeffzoom

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2004
Usually when me pooter "disipears", so does all other electronics. So when my tv,ipod, lappy, and access to anything electronc are gone, i end doing my homeowork for a change...