Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Uh really guys?

Me: "I'd like to pay with a credit card"
Cashier: "Great! Wait sir that's a phone not your credit card"
Me: "Yes it's apple pay with a credit card"
Cashier: "Huh????"

Sounds like a brilliant and easy-to-understand system :rolleyes:

We've been saying to say "I'd like to pay with credit" or "I'd like to pay with my phone." Why is it so difficult for you to follow this?

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Uh really guys?

please.gif

No. How old are you? How do you not comprehend what we're telling you?!?!

Me: "I'd like to pay with credit."
Cashier: "Okay."
Me: *holds phone up to NFC terminal, uses Apple Pay*
Cashier: "Alrighty, thanks and have a great day!"
Me: "Thank you. You too!" :cool:

KuchiKopi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014

No. How old are you? How do you not comprehend what we're telling you?!?!

Me: "I'd like to pay with credit."
Cashier: "Okay."
Me: *holds phone up to NFC terminal, uses Apple Pay*
Cashier: "Alrighty, thanks and have a great day!"
Me: "Thank you. You too!" :cool:

Which again rests on the assumption that the cashier knows what apple pay is... otherwise they'll just be totally confused. Plus, as people have said, the cashiers need to ACTIVATE the terminals for it to work at many places like Subway. So no, your scenario would not happen. it would just descend into total confusion.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Which again rests on the assumption that the cashier knows what apple pay is... otherwise they'll just be totally confused. Plus, as people have said, the cashiers need to ACTIVATE the terminals for it to work at many places like Subway. So no, your scenario would not happen. it would just descend into total confusion.

No, you only need to say "credit." It's you who are confused.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Then ask them to activate the terminal! And if that's the case, it doesn't matter if they don't know what Apple Pay is; the terminal would need to be activated for ANY kind of NFC payment.

BlazingGold

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2014
It is obviously McDonald's corporation that has passed the message on to its management. If the management did not train the associates, that is not Apple's fault

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
It is obviously McDonald's corporation that has passed the message on to its management. If the management did not train the associates, that is not Apple's fault

Call the owner, and you usually get a gift certificate along with the problem fixed, I never have trouble at McDonalds anymore.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Uh really guys?

Yes really. Your initial post was melodramatic. I mean jesus, it's not as though you should expect people to know or care what Apple Pay is. It is your fault for not knowing that it is just NFC and if you want to pay with your phone then just look to see if they can accept NFC payments. To be so sad and discouraged to never use Apple Pay again is just dramatic.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Why do you have to ask, or to tell them you're using Apple Pay?

Just do it. Stop whining. Walk up to the cashier, and when they're ready for you to pay, hold your phone up to the NFC terminal. The transaction will go through, and you'll be done, just as if you used a credit card.

Do you always tell the cashier you're paying with card? No, when they're ready for you to pay, you just swipe your card and go about your business. Same here, except you just hold your phone near the terminal.

Sheesh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.