Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Digital Pro Sound offers details on new products to be announced by Apple today at NAMM.

Logic Pro 6 - "incorporates all of the Logic line of technologies into a single package", including "Guitar Amp" and "Sculpture" for $999.

Logic Express - a mid-range product, akin to Final Cut Express, which for $299.

Soundtrack 1.2 - Price drop (as rumored) to $199 (from $299) and MIDI support and custom loop creation.

More details will be available at Apple.com

tveric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Yay!

A Soundtrack price drop! Oh wait, I just want GarageBand for $49 now. Oops.

iMan

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Suspected as much :)

I guess all the whiners of Garageband not having MIDI support and other pro-stuff gets what they really want also now...

Maybe we will someday learn to let things settle a bit before we attack Apple because they are not always doing as we want "right now"...

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
"Year of the Music"?

GarageBand, Logic, Logic Express, Soundtrack, iPod, iPod mini, worldwide iTMS?

Well, my one worry with switching to Mac last year was entry level music creation software (i.e. lack of). Now there is GarageBand. That's on order. But if that's not good enough, now I can get Logic Express!! Hopefully it will only be £138 education (same as FCE) and I'll snap it up!

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Wonder if they'll have an "Up To Date" deal

I bought FCP 4 on 12/31/03, I wonder if I'll qualify for a free (+ shipping) up-to-date upgrade on Soundtrack 1.2.

maka

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2002
Madrid (Spain)
what about logic gold users?

I wonder what will be the upgrade posibilities for logic gold users...

Also, I wonder. Are all the users of Logic Platinum now able to unlock all the extra AI and plugins? (Space Designer looks and the Guitar Modeler look so nice... :) )

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
I feel confused, Logic, Logic express, soundtrack and garageband? If someone was just getting into digital composing, it would be clear that garageband is where they would start but what would be the next step? Soundtrack or Logic express?

I hope that eventually apple does what they did with the iMovie, FCE and FCP set. FCE can open iMovie files and FCP can open FCE files. This makes a clean transition for the growing artist.

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
Confirmed on emagic.de

It's confirmed on emagic's homepage, so I guess it's not a rumor anymore :).
I'm quite curious what happens to Logic Gold users, since I'm one of them. I hope I don't have to pay several hundreds of Euros/Dollars for an upgrade...

I noticed they really streamlined the product line: Basically emagic now only sells the two Logic packages and hardware. That's it. All the other, smaller products (effects, ...) seem to be packaged into Logic.

Ratboy

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2002
I got Soundtrack as part of Final Cut Pro, and the update page says that I need to use the FCP updates page. However, when I enter my serial number it says I have already downloaded the update. I wonder if that database has not been updated to allow this latest update as opposed to the FCP 4.1 update. Is anyone else experiencing this situation?

Edit: It works through Software Update.

Freakk123

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2003
Bronx, NY
4 Audio Production Apps?

Good Lord! It definately does seem like "The year of the music!" Soundtrack and Logic Express seems almost like overkill. Logic sounds great. And then there is just me and my little GarageBand!

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Bummer you can't record in Soundtrack, the "upgrade" from GarageBand for $150 would be well worth it if it could do that.

macMaestro

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by zim
I feel confused, Logic, Logic express, soundtrack and garageband? If someone was just getting into digital composing, it would be clear that garageband is where they would start but what would be the next step? Soundtrack or Logic express?

Sountrack is for film soundtracks. This is the purpose of Sountrack's existence. Soundtrack's not really a 'pro' music app as far as musicians are concerned. It's for video editors who want to quickly string together loops in time to video footage. Logic has many more facets to it - MIDI editing for example. If you're making soundtracks and don't need the 'pro' musician features that Logic Pro offers, Soundtrack would be the way to go. If you're creating music with your band and you've grown out of GargeBand, you go to Logic.

El Capitano

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Woo-hoo... I posted "now if only we had Logic Express" in the GarageBand discussion, and whaddya know, it appears. Thank you Apple! :)

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
Originally posted by macMaestro
Sountrack is for film soundtracks. This is the purpose of Sountrack's existence. Soundtrack's not really a 'pro' music app as far as musicians are concerned. It's for video editors who want to quickly string together loops in time to video footage. Logic has many more facets to it - MIDI editing for example. If you're making soundtracks and don't need the 'pro' musician features that Logic Pro offers, Soundtrack would be the way to go. If you're creating music with your band and you've grown out of GargeBand, you go to Logic.

All makes sense now, thanks macMaestro.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Re: Re: Wonder if they'll have an "Up To Date" deal

Originally posted by evil_santa
soundtrack 1.2 is a free download.

http://www.apple.com/soundtrack/download/

Just to clarify for somebody later... Soundtrack 1.2 Updater is a free download. Not Soundtrack 1.2. (I know that's what you meant but you know somebody here won't and will complain after they spent 5 days downloading on their 300 baud modem)

macMaestro

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by Photorun
Bummer you can't record in Soundtrack, the "upgrade" from GarageBand for $150 would be well worth it if it could do that.

You can still record audio. Soundtrack just doesn't do MIDI.

And to Freakk123, it's not overkill. Logic Express and Soundtrack serve two different low-end pro markets (Soundtracks and plain old music). GarageBand serves both consumer markets, and Logic Pro serves both high-end pro markets. In my mind at least it makes since.

mstecker

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Philadelphia
Awesome

I've been wrestling for months with "what to buy" for a simple home stuido. I was just about to buy an Mbox, but I got put off b¥ the latency of the USB interface and the then-incompatibility with Jaguar.

When Garageband was announced, it seemed like the perfect starting point, although I knew that I'd eventually want/need more.

So, now Garageband arrives tomorrow, and hopefully my existing audio interface and midi interface will be able to be used with Logic Express down the road.

This is awesome news.

greg6028

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2002
Cedar Rapids
Let me get this right.

Soundtrack's update still will not do what Garageband will - connect a keyboard <correct>
Whereas
Garageband
Pro Logic Express
and Pro Logic will?
Garageband, Pro Logic Express are more alike and where
Pro Logic has everything from Garageband, Soundtrack and Pro Logic Express has....
It this correct?
(I saw the update for Soundtrack and was about to run to the store and buy a keyboard!)

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
So it's now either Logic Pro for a grand or Express for 300 bucks? Eek, I like the old pricing much better. And I see on emagic's website that they are taking no credit for the change: "Apple Streamlines Logic Product Line".
Perhaps the little corporate takeover is starting to leave a bad taste in their mouth. I certainly don't like it.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Re: Confirmed on emagic.de

Originally posted by crenz
...I'm quite curious what happens to Logic Gold users, since I'm one of them...

Ditto. We have an XSKey for Gold here now. I have a bad feeling about this.

EDIT: It looks as though Logic Express is identical to the Logic Audio Big Box, with a $70 price increase. Seems they have simply removed Gold from the lineup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.