Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phasornc

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2003
Poff said:
Look at the bottom of this comparison-page: (Select Software Instruments - External Instruments)

http://www.apple.com/software/logicexpress/comparison.html

Does this mean Logic Express does not support third party, audio-unit soft-synths?

No Logic Express does support AUs it does not support real physically hardware synths conected you your audio input. This is major feature of Logic 7 (and Cubase 3). The ability to access your external synths like and internal synth just makes sence. In Logic Six you have to pick a midi track and then you have to find the input of your synth in the logic audio mixer, and assign that input to a track. Granted this is not to difficult, but it can get in the way of the creative flow, especially around 3 in the morning

My big question is do they have the same setup for external effects. It is a complete PITA to route audio from a chanel to an output and then route it back in to another channel, the way you currently have to do it.

It would have been nice to have an Ableton Live style mixing window, apparently this type of thing is in Cubase SX 3, but then again Cubase doesn't come with as nearly as complete range of instruments as Logic. Logics instruments and effects really cover all the bases. As it is right now, the only AUs I really need are Phatmatik and Waves L2.

I'm interested to see how the GarageBand "instruments" are implemented. Are they just going to be XS24 patches or will there be something more?

It also would have been nice if Logic came with a decent (or even a crappy) GM module, but as it is right now you can sort of create the same thing with the envrionment and some decent SoundFonts converted into XS24, unfortunately that solution is just not very elegant.

kanker

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2003
Indy
To put MIDI (external I assume) stuff on CD, you first have to make them audio tracks. Logic Pro has now made that a little easier by letting you do that fairly painlessly, apparently. It's not very well documented from the light perusal I've done, but it looks like Logic will know (don't know if you have to tell it once or not) what MIDI device is in what audio in, and bouncing it to the track is a click away.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
må¥å said:
Audio = iTunes > GarageBand > LogicExpress > LogicPro

Video = DVDPlayer > iMovie > FinalCut Express > FinalCut Pro

Optical = DVDPlayer > iDVD > ? > DVDStudio Pro

Image = Preview > iPhoto > ? > Motion

Text = AppleWorks > Keynote > ?

Well it would seem we are still missing some application in this Apple trend. I say we will be seeing a DVDStudio Express, and some other applications. DVDStudio Express will give you greater control over DVD creation and formats than iDVD and not cost as much or have all the features of DVDStudio Pro.

There is my Rumour ;) :D

I too would like a dvd studio express, it will go nice with FCE andthe new logic express. I like havinga middle ground, imovie was simple and good for basic stuff, but whne u want to take it up a knotch, FCE is great, easy, more functions and affordible, $100 when u buy it with a new mac or even 300 is a great price for the software. I like how they have a middle ground. Not just very basic to extremely hard

Montserrat

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2004
UK
toontra said:
Don't know about other Apple products using one, but emagic logic has used the USB dongle for a long while now and it's very effective in preventing unauthorised use.

BTW, it's not only needed for installation - it needs to be connected whenever you are using the software.

Ok Please tell me I can whip it out (in a manner of speaking) once the program is running? Otherwise there is noway I'm buying this! If it's only a startup requirment I'll get my Mastercard out now. :)

RStone

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2003
The dongle must be in the USB port when using the program. If you remove it, you'll likely get a message to put it back in, or quit. Annoying, perhaps, but effective? 100%. Logic is the holy grail of the Mac cracking community. Nobody has been able to do it, except by obtaining a demo dongle and using a small program that alters your system clock to fool the program into thinking that time is standing still, and thus the 30-day trial lasts. This is not a crack though, merely a workaround.

But it's also a reason many don't use it. It's impossible to try out unless you have a key, which is difficult to obtain, and the only known way is through the Pro Training book by Peachpit Press. The hassles of the key have turned many people away towards their competitors (MOTU, Cubase, ProTools, Gigasampler, etc.)

The key itself is the size of a USB flash drive. I personally love the fact that Apple is getting rid of it at least for Express, as I think it's a big turn off, especially to people at the Prosumer level, or those upgrading from Garageband. Hopefully someday Logic Pro will follow, but that's not as likely.

pascalpp

macrumors member
May 10, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
hooray! ordered my copy from sweetwater today

it looks like they overhauled most of the interface and window controls. the buttons in particular look like they follow the style of all the other pro apps. hopefully they've cleaned up the layout and organization of the menus and various dialogs. not to mention the key commands window. the whole damn program has been so ugly for so long, i can't wait to see this version.

it also looks like Logic Pro and Logic Express have new icons. cool.

sweetwater said my upgrade should ship on friday.

yay!

kanker

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2003
Indy
RStone said:
Nobody has been able to do it, except by obtaining a demo dongle and using a small program that alters your system clock to fool the program into thinking that time is standing still, and thus the 30-day trial lasts. This is not a crack though, merely a workaround.
Oh, it's been cracked - I know guys who've used it (disclaimer - NOT ME - I am an extremely conscientious software user), it uses an XSkey emulator, and gives new meaning to the word unstable. Personally, I prefer the XSkey dongle over other copy protection methods, maybe with the exception of the way Reason handles it (and the fact that they make your authorization easily accessible on their website if you need it is a plus).

hurtle

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2004
London, England
kanker said:
Personally, I prefer the XSkey dongle over other copy protection methods, maybe with the exception of the way Reason handles it (and the fact that they make your authorization easily accessible on their website if you need it is a plus).

I agree and I don't understand the problem with the xkey. If you're worried about it sticking out and being broken, just plug it into the end of a USB extender cable, like I have.

Anyway, I ordered my upgrade from Logic 6 Pro and I can't wait. Ultrabeat is what I'm most looking forward to, plus Apple loops.

ryanw

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
Diatribe said:
I think it's awesome that Apple switches to a over the year, whatever day of the week release schedule as opposed to releasing stuff on fixed days or dates. Lowers the anticipitaion a bit, albeit not much with us jumping every rumor. :D
But no rumors for this one... Apple did it again.

Well, I think macrumors is losing their touch. I'm sure someone had to mention that Logic 7 Pro was coming out in october, it was obvious and about time, but instead of saying something on page 2 they just let it go... Not sure what their motivation (or unmotivation) is lately.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
uhfmfp said:
Apple are still missing a VERY important tool for music users: a "red book" compliant CD authoring tool. In fact, there is no such tool in OS X that I'm aware of, so I'm still using Emagic's WaveBurner Pro in OS 9. Very frustrating.

roxio jam

NickFalk

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2004
puckhead193 said:
I too would like a dvd studio express, it will go nice with FCE andthe new logic express. I like how they have a middle ground. Not just very basic to extremely hard
The truly brilliant thing about DVD Studio Pro is the fact that it is as complicated as you choose it to be!

If you run it with the simpelst interface-setup you in effect do have a DVD Studio Express. When you want to "upgrade" you just choose the complex-setup without paying for an upgrade... :D

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
ryanw said:
Well, I think macrumors is losing their touch. I'm sure someone had to mention that Logic 7 Pro was coming out in october, it was obvious and about time, but instead of saying something on page 2 they just let it go... Not sure what their motivation (or unmotivation) is lately.

I've been disappointed at what's been posted lately. The lead "rumor" for about a week was an OS security update -- not a rumored one but an actual one. macosrumors.com has been more active lately.

I have enjoyed this thread and would like to see more rumors posted about upgrade features in Tiger, iLife and other expected updates. I think people here enjoy posting about the new, new thing.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
NickFalk said:
The truly brilliant thing about DVD Studio Pro is the fact that it is as complicated as you choose it to be!

If you run it with the simpelst interface-setup you in effect do have a DVD Studio Express. When you want to "upgrade" you just choose the complex-setup without paying for an upgrade... :D

I completely agree, but this set-up has made it very easy for Apple to draw a circle around the middle setup, cut out the top-end features, and call it DVD Studio Express. The "Express" movement is largely about getting consumers to step up from iLife and spend a little money on the products Apple has spent a lot of money to develop -- even if it's junior versions.

I would like to see Apple to continue supporting Express versions, but it does raise the question where to add new features first. For example, iMovie has the Ken Burns Effect as a feature, but Final Cut Express does not. Why? I don't know, but the result is that iMovie handles pics better than FCE. I like seeing innovation in iLife, but I would hate to miss out on something when I've paid more money for greater functionality.

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
phasornc said:
No Logic Express does support AUs it does not support real physically hardware synths conected you your audio input. This is major feature of Logic 7 (...) decent SoundFonts converted into XS24, unfortunately that solution is just not very elegant.

ahh.. I see. Thanks!

I think the usb-dongle thingie is a great copy-protection. I just wish all software would go down that route. And maybe music too..?

sagestudio

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2003
Blue Moon said:
Could you describe a bit more detail as to the first part of that process? I use Digital Performer and have never figured out how to put my midi compositions on CD and am wondering if Logic will be easier to do that on.
In Logic you can use audio software instruments which use midi but are easier to convert to audio. You can edit them the same way as midi, but then you can bounce them as audio. Otherwise, with straight midi files, you have to send the midi signal out through your piano or whatever, and then back into your sound card and record it as audio. This audio file can then be recorded on cd. Does that make sense?

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
DVD Studio Pro could become DVD Studio express and apple could introduce a true pro app that could compete with Sonic Scenarist (what most pro's actually use for feature films).

squareyes

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2004
watch out

Poff said:
ahh.. I see. Thanks!

I think the usb-dongle thingie is a great copy-protection. I just wish all software would go down that route. And maybe music too..?

I have never seen a real crack for the usb dongle and since apple bought emagic I've been expecting it to be used on all the "pro" apps.
It would take a huge byte out of all the pirates.

Blue Moon

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2004
Los Angeles
yeah but..

sagestudio said:
In Logic you can use audio software instruments which use midi but are easier to convert to audio. You can edit them the same way as midi, but then you can bounce them as audio. Otherwise, with straight midi files, you have to send the midi signal out through your piano or whatever, and then back into your sound card and record it as audio. This audio file can then be recorded on cd. Does that make sense?

I get what you're saying but I'm not sure how to use audio software instruments (hell, I don't even know what they are, I can't assume you're talking about samples) as opposed to straight midi files. I record mostly on my Alesis QS 8.1 with straight midi files on digital performer. I've never tried sending the signal back to my soundcard because, again, I don't what the process involves (I obviously have a lot of homework left to do). Up until now I have been happy setting up my MIDI instruments for a particular orchestration and then listening to it play back through Digital Performer itself.

sagestudio

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2003
Blue Moon said:
I get what you're saying but I'm not sure how to use audio software instruments (hell, I don't even know what they are, I can't assume you're talking about samples) as opposed to straight midi files. I record mostly on my Alesis QS 8.1 with straight midi files on digital performer. I've never tried sending the signal back to my soundcard because, again, I don't what the process involves (I obviously have a lot of homework left to do). Up until now I have been happy setting up my MIDI instruments for a particular orchestration and then listening to it play back through Digital Performer itself.

This is how I do it. I send the midi signal out to my mixer from my synth. I have it coming in to a stereo channel on the mixer, then I send it back to my sound card from the mixer to input 1&2 (or whatever) on the card. Then I record from channels 1&2 in Logic and there ya go. An audio file that can be put on cd. There are other ways of doing this, but this is how I do it with my synth. Of course this only works if you are routing your signal back out to the synth for playback.

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Blue Moon said:
Up until now I have been happy setting up my MIDI instruments for a particular orchestration and then listening to it play back through Digital Performer itself.

So, if I'm getting you right, your synth is what's making the sound? In that case you should find a "line out" on your synth which you could connect to a "line in" on your computer. Then you could record sound from line in when playing back. Save the file and drag it into iTunes - and burn the CD. :)

Edit: oops, that's exactly what SageStudio had just told you.. sorry.. :)

jdhuskey

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2003
Clemmons, NC
I used to love Waveburner, and that alone makes me want the Logic Pro 7 upgrade.

So what will happen to the Emagic hardware now (mt4, a26, a62, etc.)? I find no mention of them on Apple's site, and there's nothing but support left on Emagic's site. Sad.

pounce

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2004
so to get back to the meat of things, when is logic pro going to have full pdc?

the audio sites like the marsh, osx audio, and gearslutz have been discussing this in further detail. anyway, it will remain my biggest gripe about what logic pro 7 doesn't have but all the competition finally does - pdc all over. get that done and we are getting somewhere.

ps: ordered the DP 4.5 upgrade today and it looks sweet. what an interesting time for audio on the mac again.

chameeeleon

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2004
Flashing back to DVD Studio Express - imagine an "Express Suite" of Final Cut Express 3, Logic Express 7 (have there really been Logic Expresses before? 6 of them?), and DVD Studio Express 1 unveiled at MacWorld to compliment iLife '05. Would be some stellar stuff from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.