Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today launched a new version of Logic Pro X, its music production and editing software designed for professionals. The new update includes performance optimizations that Apple says are designed to take advantage of the "groundbreaking power" of the upcoming Mac Pro.

Logic Pro X 10.4.5 now supports up to 56 processing threads, allowing music producers and film composers to work on demanding music projects with "unprecedented ease."

macprologicprox-800x464.jpg

Apple says the Mac Pro with Logic Pro X 10.4.5 will allow pro musicians to do things that were never before possible. On the new Mac Pro, Logic Pro X can run up to five times the number of real-time plug-ins compared to the previous-generation machine.

Logic Pro X 10.14.5 increases the available track and channel count for all users, maxing out at 1,000 audio tracks and 1,000 software instrument tracks, a 4x increase.

The new software also supports 1,000 auxiliary channel strips, 1,000 external MIDI tracks, and 12 sends per channel strip. Apple has also improved the responsiveness of the Mixer and Event list when working with large sessions, as well as projects with multiple time edits and tempo changes. Additional features are highlighted below:
- The loop browser can filter by loop type and allows drag and drop of multiple loops into your project simultaneously.
- The redesigned DeEsser 2 plug-in provides more options to reduce sibilance on audio tracks.
- MIDI beat clocks can be sent to individual ports, each with unique settings like timing offset and plug-in delay compensation
Apple's announcement includes statements from several composers and producers who are excited about the new Mac Pro. "Black Mirror" composer Daniel Pemberton said time is "incredibly valuable" when working on scores for TV shows and movies, and that he's excited about the performance improvements coming in Logic Pro X 10.4.5 with the new Mac Pro.

Oak Felder, producer for Demi Lovato, Drake, and Alicia Keys, said that it's clear Apple is committed to the pro community.
"As someone who uses Logic for everything I create musically, I got a huge kick seeing all the performance tweaks coming in Logic Pro X 10.4.5. And the expandability of the new Mac Pro will give it longevity and a home in my studio for a long time to come. It's clear that Apple is committed to the pro community, and I love that they are really listening and paying attention to our needs." -- Oak Felder, producer for Demi Lovato, Drake, Alicia Keys and Rihanna
Logic Pro X 10.4.5 is available today as a free update for all existing users, and new users can purchase it from the Mac App Store for $200. [Direct Link]

The new Mac Pro, and its accompanying Pro Display XDR, will be launching sometime this fall.

Article Link: Logic Pro X Gets Refresh for Upcoming Mac Pro

Peperino

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2016
That is great.!

Now the "Pros" need some computers they can actually afford.

Very few musicians will be able to afford a Mac Pro. So basically all the "Pros" are still with no good hardware options.

Thank you Apple for your continuing neglect.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
Apple doesn’t need to ignore the pros. Haven’t you heard? They’ve all abandoned the Mac and switched to Windows long ago.
Yeah... No they didn't. I mean, sure, some did, especially on the video/colorist side of things. But most pro designers and photogs, musicians, and even a ton of video editors, motion gfx artists, and colorists are still Mac.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
You’re killing me Apple. Killing me!*

*not literally, Apple legal please stand down.

Reactions: xnu

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
That is great.!

Very few musicians will be able to afford a Mac Pro. So basically all the "Pros" are still with no good hardware options.

It's a nice upgrade.

For professional musicians (not hobbyist), it's a business expense.

If the musicians can't afford it or the music is a hobby, the new Mac Pro is probably not for them.

In that case, Apple has other cheaper computer models or the musician can use a solution outside of Apple.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Welp... was running happily along on macOS Sierra until this:

Compatibility: macOS 10.13.6 or later, 64-bit processor

That's a big issue for me. Still running Soundtrack Pro here and I bet that breaks it.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Considering that some pros are producing albums using GarageBand on iOS, on iMacs and on MacBooks, there’s a HUGE swath of systems suitable for pros. Very very VERY few musicians will ever work in a capacity where they NEED a Mac Pro. If they ever do, they’d be smart to include the purchase of a Mac Pro as part of that VERY lucrative contract :)

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
That is great.!

Not everyone who makes music is a pro. Not everyone who receives monetary compensation for making music is a pro either.

Reactions: Luap and Ploki

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
That is great.!

I don't understand this sentiment. I might have before the iMac Pro and new Mac Mini were released, but not anymore.

skitidetdu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
Sweden
My music business is growing as a media composer and I’ve been investing time to research which PC(s) to get as slaves for my main computer so I can offload huge libraries and ram usage from it. But now I’ll rather get this and be without all that hassle with PCs, setting up audio over Ethernet etc. As someone already stated if you’re a pro this computer is a company investment creating tax refunds so it won’t be as expensive in the end.

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
Get a Apple Credit card this summer. You get 3 percent cash back on purchases. Or get a introductory credit card that gives you 0 percent interest like Bank of America card or US bank for 18 to 20 months to pay off the computer, it is only $333 a month. A lot of people spend that going out and doing things every month. Stay at home 18 months with you beautiful fast computer and having fun with a product that will last you 10 years or more!

Last edited:

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
I am happy that Apple is supporting the "Pro" community and glad that Logic is still being robustly supported. If you can't afford the new Mac Pro (raises hand), then there are plenty of other Apple options. Even a basic Mac Mini can run Logic (albeit a limited number of tracks/plugs). And if your Audio I/F offloads the Mac CPU by running plugs on an external CPU (UA Apollo series), then that can help raise the performance ceiling of Logic for ANY Mac you are using.

Reactions: JungleNYC and milo

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
Considering that some pros are producing albums using GarageBand on iOS, on iMacs and on MacBooks, there’s a HUGE swath of systems suitable for pros. Very very VERY few musicians will ever work in a capacity where they NEED a Mac Pro. If they ever do, they’d be smart to include the purchase of a Mac Pro as part of that VERY lucrative contract :)

Yes.

I think the bar has been lowered repeatedly over the past couple decades. Pro musicians used to have access to multi-million dollar Neve consoles (many still do) and under those circumstances none of the prices being talked about matter. Somewhere around the introduction of the Layla everyone thought they could just produce in their garage and have a professional result (in the case of some popular genres they're not necessarily completely wrong). So now you have people who play in their local pubs on Thursday night and produce a self promoted CD in the iOS version of GarageBand who consider themselves "pro" and want their own system at their own price point. Those people are not the target market for this device.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
I don't understand this sentiment. I might have before the iMac Pro and new Mac Mini were released, but not anymore.
Since I have been coming to this site people have wanted two things:
G5 PowerBook
and
An upgradeable tower with consumer components instead of server components (the average "calls themselves a pro" doesn't need a computer built around a Xeon processor and ECC memory)

At some point the community realized for sure one of these things wasn't going to happen.

Most of us know the other won't happen either, but, many will not let go of their desires, and suffer for it.

Reactions: motulist

Adoniram

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2016
Fort Worth, TX
I'm curious: why limit the number of simultaneous threads to 56? Is that actually set in software, or is this software only available on a Mac, for which there are no higher thread counts possible?

This makes me wonder if the CPU will be soldered into the board on the Mac Pro... there are higher core count CPUs out there (not that most people would necessarily want that).

In regards to the software, I regularly code with MPI and OpenMP (mostly the former). I never set arbitrary limits on the number of threads/workers. More is (almost always) better, but 56 is certainly nowhere near the limit of overhead costs.

Reactions: fairuz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.