Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Logitech today debuted a new slim touch-enabled mouse for Mac users, crafted to match the design of Apple's MacBooks. The brushed aluminum mouse, which is similar to Apple's Magic Mouse, supports seven different touch gestures and is designed to be ultra portable.

mouse1.jpg
The mouse is recharged via USB and according to Logitech, one minute of charge time provides one hour of working time. It also uses Logitech's Easy-Switch Bluetooth and can connect to a laptop, desktop, or tablet.
Using Bluetooth® with Logitech Easy-SwitchTM Technology, the Logitech Ultrathin Touch Mouse can connect wirelessly to your laptop, desktop and tablet at the same time, and you can easily switch among them with the flip of a switch.
The Ultrathin Touch Mouse can be preordered from the Logitech website for $70 and is expected to begin shipping in September.

Article Link: Logitech Announces Ultrathin Touch Mouse for Mac

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
I like Logitech products, but I feel as if they're aiming at an occupied market with this. USB charging on the Apple accessories would be nice but a set of AAs already lasts me 8 months or more in a Magic Trackpad.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Mice don't need to be thin. Apple's "Magic Mouse" is already uncomfortable enough.

I hear you. When we went from the white Apple 'scroll ball' mouse to the Magic Mouse, it was pretty weird and uncomfortable. But now that I've been using it for a while, it's actually become the only mouse I can use comfortably. And with the multitouch gestures, that makes it even harder to be replaced.

I tried using Microsoft's Arc mouse, and it was almost as if there was too much of it.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Mice don't need to be thin. Apple's "Magic Mouse" is already uncomfortable enough.

Agreed. Unless this was a tiny trackpad but then that would make zero sense if you're looking at it as a travel mouse with laptop. :)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

The Magic mouse is, in my eyes, one of the worst-designed mice ever. Talk about RSI... The Magic trackpad is so much more comfortable to use, and actually has functional multi-touch gestures that are usable for those of us without kid-sized fingers.

Of all the things for Logitech to copy...

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
The Magic mouse is, in my eyes, one of the worst-designed mice ever. Talk about RSI... The Magic trackpad is so much more comfortable to use, and actually has functional multi-touch gestures that are usable for those of us without kid-sized fingers.

Seriously why be negative. Magic mice obviously sell or they wouldn't design this. You don't like it then don't get it. Simple really.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
It looks good. I like the quick charge feature and the ability to switch between devices. This means that I can easily use the same mouse for my iMAC and MacBook air with both of them turned on at the same time.

To be honest, the batteries on my magic-mouse don't last more than 3 months of light use with eneloop or apple rechargeable batteries.

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
I recently bought a Logitech mouse and I'm still waiting for proper drivers and firmware updates...

Honestly their products should be avoided by mac users, at least until their support matches their prices.

macribas

macrumors member
May 22, 2008
Austin, TX
I recently bought a Logitech mouse and I'm still waiting for proper drivers and firmware updates...

Honestly their products should be avoided by mac users, at least until their support matches their prices.

I feel the same, I used to be a die hard Logitech fan, but in recent years their lack of Mac official support (see the Presenter series) and a slight decay on their build quality has thrown me off. I bought their rechargeable trackpad a few months ago and it is not nearly as good as Apple's. But I agree with a previous poster, I would prefer a chunkier Magic Mouse.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I like Logitech products, but I feel as if they're aiming at an occupied market with this. USB charging on the Apple accessories would be nice but a set of AAs already lasts me 8 months or more in a Magic Trackpad.

What!!
I barely get 1-2 months out of a full charge.:confused:

---

Logitech, no thanks.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004

That's very much your own opinon and I don't know how widely it's shared. I, for one, love the magic mouse and find it a lot more comfortable to use than various styles of conventional ones.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Seriously why be negative. Magic mice obviously sell or they wouldn't design this. You don't like it then don't get it. Simple really.

Magic mice sell primarily because they come with every standard-configuration iMac. I, like many people, just shelve the mouse and use something else.

----------

That's very much your own opinon and I don't know how widely it's shared. I, for one, love the magic mouse and find it a lot more comfortable to use than various styles of conventional ones.

Well, just be careful for strain across the area of your knuckles. That kind of flat-handed mousing is killer for RSI-related injuries.

And yes, of course it's my opinion. Who else's opinion would it be? :)

That said, feel free to google "RSI Magic Mouse".

z1on0101

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
People who use thin mice must have dolphin flippers for hands.

My hands are curved, so I like full-size mice.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Logitech, bring back the MX Revolution with some updated internals, otherwise you're dead to me.

Cut and paste the above statement for the Z-5500, too.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Logitech, bring back the MX Revolution with some updated internals, otherwise you're dead to me.

Cut and paste the above statement for the Z-5500, too.

MX Revolution was a good mouse. Same for the Performance MX. I use the G700 wired right now, since the battery life is appalling. And I also use the Magic trackpad to mix things up a bit.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I love a flat mouse, both for feel and for fitting in a travel bag.

I hate the big domed "shoe-mice" even as a I respect their ergonomics up to a point. But they take extra force: I have to move my whole arm, and drag the weight of my hand pressing down on the mouse's feet. No, thanks. I like a small mouse I can move with fingertips alone. Fingertips are more precise than my elbow! (In fact, when I use a domed mouse, I don't even bother resting my hand on it. I just cup my fingers higher and waste that ergonomic palm rest because it makes it hard to, you know, point at things.)

It's not at RSI issue because I use the best RSI-prevention of all: variety. Sometimes I use the mouse, sometimes the trackpad, sometimes a gaming mouse I keep on hand... sometimes even a big trackball. (And a lot of the time: an iPad!)

But I'd pick a Magic Mouse over a Logitech because I love Apple's scrolling mechanism. No wheel is good enough after trying that. I don't actually own a Magic Mouse because I'm waiting to get one bundled with a future Mac, but I love using them. (I also love the Magic Trackpad and might opt for that instead.)

lucidhysteria

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2013
With all the Magic Mouse nay-saying, I'd just like to add my voice to the mix to say that I've been using one for about three years now, and I absolutely love it. I cringe at the thought of using a normal mouse now, for the flexibility and customizability (especially when paired with the epic BetterTouchTool), smoothness and subtlety of scrolling, and (this is a big one) the fact that there is no gunk-prone mechanism on top of my mouse that requires cleaning frequently (before the Magic Mouse, the Mighty Mouse was my daily weapon of choice, and that tiny ball gunked up all the time (with dust, hair, whatever) and would become unresponsive, causing relatively frequent interruptions —*at least every few weeks, if memory serves, and sometimes more frequent). Even with other mice that didn't seem to have the gunking problem, the scroll wheels were either too tense, or too lose (or worse — they scrolled in little clicky increments... I hate that), whereas the sensitivity of the Magic Mouse feels so much more natural.

Never has it caused me any pain/strain/etc. Yes, it felt different than I was used to for about a day, and after that I was completely used to it and never thought about it again.

As for the fact that it's flat while your hands are curved — unless you feel compelled to force your hand onto the shape of whatever mouse you're using (i.e. unnaturally force your hand to go completely flat over the mouse), I don't see how the shape of the mouse is terribly relevant. When I use mine, my hand is in exactly the same position as when my hands are resting on the keyboard: palm flat on the desk, fingers comfortably and naturally arched with the tips of my index and middle fingers resting on the top of the mouse. It is not some apocalyptically abysmal form factor, as many people paint it. Having extra bulk under my hand on a larger mouse now seems slightly uncomfortable.

Of course, there are all kinds of different hand sizes and shapes (mine are relatively large, I suppose, whatever difference that makes), and I imagine there are probably people out there for whom the Magic Mouse might actually be problematic somehow, but I kind of suspect a lot of this blowback comes from people who are change averse or just don't feel any need for a touch mouse (that's fine! Now just don't ruin it for the rest of us), or perhaps have tried it for a few seconds in the store and found it too different without giving it a real chance (in the first few minutes I considered returning mine, but again, after using it for just a short while, I loved it).

Bottom line: if you're happy with your mouse, more power to ya! But all this drama over a mouse—as if this design is a deliberate attack on all creatures with fingers—leaves me truly dumbfounded. You would think the thing was covered in razor blades the way some people complain...

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
What is the purpose of a wireless mouse when the keyboard is like 8 inches from it (or less). I hate walking up to a system and the mouse and/or kb are dead because of batteries.

There is so little advantage to wireless for these input devices. Hey, you want to couch-surf using bluetooth keyboard and apple tv go for it, but that is such a small use case.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
Well, just be careful for strain across the area of your knuckles. That kind of flat-handed mousing is killer for RSI-related injuries.

And yes, of course it's my opinion. Who else's opinion would it be? :)

That said, feel free to google "RSI Magic Mouse".

I can confirm this. I've had (and learned to live with) RSI for the last 20 years and I can put my hands on a mouse and feel if it's good for me or not. My favourite one is the Logitech G5.

Of course it is a personal thing but hands are not THAT different and basic ergonomic rules do apply to everyone.

Apple has always chosen form over function. Their worst was the 'puck' mouse which besides flat was also round so you couldn't feel if you had it the right side up.... Looked great though. :rolleyes: I also find myself finding workarounds for the sharp edges of the MBP's cutting into my wrist. Sometimes I wonder if they actually use their own stuff rather than just looking at it.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
The magic mouse is horrible for comfort, and can't support Apple's great gestures unless you install a third party plugin.

It baffles me that Apple doesn't include the Magic Trackpad as the default mouse/trackpad for their desktops. It's easier on the hands and allows you to do much more with the computer. Gesture are easier, more intuitive, and don't incite pain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.