Logitech announces Wireless Solar Keyboard for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iRobby, Aug 17, 2011.

1. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

Logitech announces Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 for Mac
    Posted on Aug 17, 2011 8:00 am by Dan Frakes, Macworld.com

[​IMG]

Accessory vendor Logitech on Wednesday announced the environmentally conscious Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 for Mac, the company’s first Mac-specific keyboard since the diNovo Edge Mac Edition and the diNovo Keyboard Mac Edition.

A true full-size Mac keyboard, the K750 includes a numeric keypad, all the standard Mac modifier keys in their proper positions, as well as special-function F-keys for controlling media playback; adjusting screen brightness; and accessing Exposé, Mission Control, and Dashboard. The silver version even resembles Apple’s current Keyboard with Numeric Keypad, thanks to an aluminum-colored body, thin design and low-profile, white keys. (The K750 for Mac is available in five different colors.)

But though it looks similar to Apple’s keyboards, the K750 for Mac is quite a bit deeper, front to back, thanks to a row of solar cells above the F-key row—like Logitech’s Windows-focused Wireless Solar Keyboard K750, the Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 for Mac is powered entirely by ambient light. According to the company, even standard indoor lighting is enough to charge the keyboard, and with a full charge, the K750 can operate for three months in total darkness. Which means that in real-world use, you should never have to worry about running out of juice. Logitech also touts the K750 for Mac’s other green credentials, including PVC-free construction and packaging that’s completely recyclable.

While the K750’s low-profile, square keys look much like those on Apple’s current keyboards, Logitech’s keys feature concave key tops for improved typing feel. The company has also announced a “solar power app” that tells you the keyboard’s battery level and alerts you when the K750 needs more light. Finally, the included 2.4GHz wireless receiver uses Logitech’s Unifying technology, which lets you use a single, tiny USB dongle for multiple Logitech input devices—for example, the K750 keyboard and a Performance Mouse MX.
    The Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 for Mac will be available later this month for $60.

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

3. psxguru macrumors 6502a

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I thought that it looked like a great keyboard until I read that. The last thing I need is a dongle using up another USB port.

5. Hamilton1963 macrumors regular

I just ordered one with 25% off + free ship. I hope I like it. In regards to the bluetooth, the Tech Support told me that it would be impossible for the keyboard to be solar powered and bluetooth at the same time. I'm not sure he is right about that.

6. nutmac macrumors 68040

In addition to Bluetooth, I dislike it for (1) pre-Lion layout (mainly, F4 = Dashboard instead of Launchpad), (2) solar panels remind me of cheap calculator. Black finish seems to blend solar panels better, but black does not match Mac's style as well.

7. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Get back to me when it's Bluetooth. It's a Mac for crying out loud--it's almost guaranteed these days!

8. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

This is a great idea for a Mac peripheral and glad to see Logitech back on board with support. However I echo everyone's complaints on lack of bluetooth.

Logitech for some reason does not like to create bluetooth devices. Most of their entire product range relies on wireless USB dongles.

Wish they'd change their attitude on bluetooth.

9. dubAdub macrumors member

I was all set to buy one until the separate dongle bit.

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Looks Good

But I wonder just how much light it needs to function reliably? I live in Wales, where it rains and is grey most of the time....I suppose a lamp would do the trick.

Been looking for a better keyboard and this could fit the bill.

11. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

If this was a Bluetooth device I'd be interested.

12. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I like this keyboard. I just cannot get used to the Apple keyboard and the travel of the keys. I wish Apple would produce a keyboard that is similar to the one on the MBA or MBP for desktops. I shall give this a go since I use a logitech MX pro mouse anyway so I have the dongle already.

13. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yep

My issue with the Apple keyboard is the lack of angle...Yes I can put something under the back to raise it up, but why not a couple of little legs?

14. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

I wish it was backlit too...then it would be a 10/10 for me.

15. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I have a dongle already as well with my K800 Keyboard.

From where?

16. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

How'd you manage 25% off?

17. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

I'd like to know that too....please share

18. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

hmmm... I've never thought about the angle to be honest, but now that you mention it.... :confused:

I would gladly pay for something that resembles an empty MBA keyboard and trackpad. In other words, the MBA shell without a monitor - just a glass trackpad and a keyboard.

Are you listening Apple? I want this and I am patenting the idea. The separate trackpad doesn't feel as nice as the MBP or the MBA trackpad and the keyboard (both wireless and wired) is not as nice to type on.

In fact I had a good feel of the two trackpads the other day to make sure that I wasn't going mad since I own a MBA, MBP and the external trackpad. This may sound odd, but the texture of the external magical trackpad does not feel the same and I think it may be because it's not glass. Frankly, it feels quite rough to touch and, no, I don't have delicate fingertips either. :D

I just cannot get comfortable with the separate keyboard and external trackpad when trying to work at my desk.

19. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Am I the only one that doesn't care at all that it lacks Bluetooth?

I've been waiting for something like this for a while.

20. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I don't. My older Logitech BT mouse had issues staying connected anyway. Plus the Unifying Receiver is tiny so you don't have some big thing sticking out..

21. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I as well.

22. tomville macrumors newbie

While bluetooth would be nice, the lack of BT is not a deal breaker. I already have USB doohickey for my logitech mouse, so it's not a big deal.

23. yomibro macrumors regular

So what happens when the internal batteries (?) can't hold the charge anymore, is it user replaceable?

24. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

It's $60 so I'll just get another one.