Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

When Apple unveiled new iPad Pro models and the Magic Keyboard with trackpad, which is now on sale, Logitech also introduced new keyboard cases with trackpads that are designed for the 10.2-inch 7th-generation iPad and the 10.5-inch iPad Air.

logitech-trackpad-keyboard-ipad-air.jpg

As of today, the Logitech Combo Touch Keyboard Case with Trackpad for iPad and the Logitech Combo Touch Keyboard Case with Trackpad for iPad Air can be purchased from the Apple online store for $149.95 each. The iPad Air model is also compatible with the earlier 10.5-inch iPad Pro.

Logitech's keyboard cases combine a full-size backlit keyboard with a trackpad that supports multi-touch gestures and scrolling, much like Apple's own Magic Keyboard.

Designed with input from Apple, the cases support the Smart Connectors on the iPad and iPad Air, which means no charging and no need to connect over Bluetooth.

The keyboards provide protection for the iPad when not in use, and have a kickback stand with 50-degree tilt and four usage modes for tasks like typing, viewing, reading, and sketching. There's also a holder for the Apple Pencil or Logitech Crayon.

Logitech's keyboards are the only available keyboards with trackpads that work with older iPad models at this time, as Apple's Magic Keyboard is limited to the 2018 and 2020 iPad Pro models.

Article Link: Logitech Keyboard Cases With Trackpad for 7th-Generation iPad and iPad Air Now Available

Last edited:

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Looks nice and practical, well thought-out and not a bad price too. Backlit keys and the holder for the pencil are nice touches.

interesting that Logitech are still the preferred partner for stuff like this (smart connector and gestures are supported) - I bet that means the trackpad works perfectly and doesn’t suffer from the apparent issues that the Brydge Pro+ does.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Strange that it's only for those models. I'd like other their reasoninging on that
My guess is that those willing to spend $800 for an iPad Pro are more likely to spend $350 for a keyboard. This appeals to a wider audience. You can spend $329 for the base iPad, $149 for this, $99 for the Pencil, and still have spent less than the iPad Pro alone.

Mainsail

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2010
I have an iPad 7, so this Logitech offering might be tempting. As I recall, the spec say about 23 oz, so it's going to add some bulk and weight.

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2013
This would/will be enticing as hell for my 2020 IPP 11”. (Think I heard there’s one in the works...) It obviously lacks the sex appeal of the Magic Keyboard, but the edge protection and price make it a worthy contender.

While I appreciate that Apple like to market the iPad Pro as something you can treat like an adamantium frisbee, it bugs me a bit that the MK is apparently designed to be used with a naked iPad and doesn’t allow for any drop protection. That and the fact that it costs as much as a regular iPad...

That said, I’m sure resistance will be futile. 😩

LeadingHeat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2015
This looks really appealing. I love those backlit keys! And with Apple being in on the design of it I’m sure it’ll work near flawlessly.

fbr$

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2020
For the iPad 7th (483 g):

Weight: 22.9 oz./650 g

Wooow, that's a huge 1.133 kg in total for a 10.2" iPad + Keyboard Case!

And can it be used on the lap? Probably not!

Reactions: huyspin

durvivor

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Does anybody know if Logitech has a keyboard/trackpad planned for the new iPad Pros? Would they be keeping this close to their vest because it could affect if folks buy the new Apple Magic Keyboard?

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
Does anybody know if Logitech has a keyboard/trackpad planned for the new iPad Pros? Would they be keeping this close to their vest because it could affect if folks buy the new Apple Magic Keyboard?

Most likely, and no they don't care about Apple sales targets.

CPL593H

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2018
This would/will be enticing as hell for my 2020 IPP 11”. (Think I heard there’s one in the works...) It obviously lacks the sex appeal of the Magic Keyboard, but the edge protection and price make it a worthy contender.

While I appreciate that Apple like to market the iPad Pro as something you can treat like an adamantium frisbee, it bugs me a bit that the MK is apparently designed to be used with a naked iPad and doesn’t allow for any drop protection. That and the fact that it costs as much as a regular iPad...

That said, I’m sure resistance will be futile. 😩
Yep, and a detachable keyboard not needing Bluetooth. Would love this for the current iPP.

Reactions: johnnylarue

EugW

macrumors G3
Jun 18, 2017
Too bad this (and proper touchpad support) wasn't available at Xmas. I would have bought this for the wife instead of the Apple Smart Keyboard, for her iPad 7.

Mind you, I got the Apple Smart Keyboard for cheap. Amazon had a lot of renewed and open box ones back then for half price, and truthfully she doesn't really need the touchpad.

For me though, I'll be getting the next iteration of the iPad Pro (fall 2020 / winter 2021?) with the Magic Keyboard. What I miss the most on my Apple Smart Keyboard for my iPad Pro is the backlight. Also, having the power cord coming out the middle of the side of the iPad is awkward.

Reactions: badatusernames

tooloud10

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
Dumb question...where is the keyboard when using the iPad in 'full tablet' mode? Is it covered/protected by the kickstand?

Reactions: Rocko99991
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.